Fall Catskill JAM.....the final chapter 10/4-10/6

Tom
I'm very sad to see that you won't be making it. If you don't mind, feel free to change "chaplet" to "chapter". Had issues typing the original post via phone.

Beast,
The water by the outlet is so cold, it makes your legs ache. If you last more than an hour in Deposit, you are more of a man than I am. Remember that above the gamelands requires a NY license. Getting in a "few reps" prior to the jam won't matter unless the conditions in October match when you are there in July. Not likely. The flows vary so much that lies change, temps will be different and pre-spawn will also be in play in October. You can fish there twice a week from May until October and never have the same conditions twice. It always is changing and you have to adapt to find the fish. We'll get you onto fish...don't worry about that. 25 yrs up there and I still feel like a first timer a majority of the time. If I go in the next 2 weeks, you are welcome to join me.

Yeah, I just want to explore, and whatever happens, happens. 56 at Hale Eddy, amazing. What is it about 4-5 miles from Hale Eddy to sgl 299?

If you look at this map http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_126465_11363_0_43/http%3B/www.sgl.state.pa.us/zoom_maps.aspx?rgn=Northeast&sgl=299 it appears that the upper game lands boundary is actually off the river there, is that the case or can you fish that upper part right into the water. Did the game commission ever buy that cut out gap in the center or is that private property.

That section you're talking about is private if I'm not mistaken...hence the terms 'upper gamelands' and 'lower gamelands'. I have never waded up there because I refuse to be part of the circus. It can look like the SR when the kings are running. LOL. The temperature should be good the entire length of the wb and for the first 3-10 miles of the main (all depends on cfs released, air temp, amount of sunshine). Lordville gauge is 10 miles below the junction and until recently, it's stayed in the mid 60's. Any doubt, take the temperature.

You will find out that the water temp may help or hurt you. If it's too cold, the hatch never gets going or fog forms and shuts everything down. The lower you are on the river, the less likely you will get fogged out. Also monitor rainfall before heading up. One downpour and Ocagua is pumping straight yoohoo into the river.

I'm in

Ok, looks like we have.....

Me
Josh
DaveS
Alby + 2-4 guys
skybay
Tim Robinson
NJ Tom
PhilC
Martin
BeastBrown
Becker
NickR ??
and others on the fence.

I'll call the Capra and let them know the dates and aprox group size.

Preliminary schedule:
Fish Tuesday & Wednesday
If you are bringing your "shovels", golf on Thursday
Fish Friday, Saturday and possibly Sunday morning

Fishing may be done by float or wading and that will be determined by the flows when we get there. Drift boats, canoes, kayaks and pontoons will work. Feel free to PM if you have any question.

Raffle held on motel porch Saturday morning. Tickets $10 each with proceeds going to FUDR. Raffle should include a couple of fly assortments, framed / matted painting from Dave Weaver, a 3 weight rod and or reel (if it doesn't sell in the swap forum),, hats, shirts and more.

If you have food plans or questions, start posting. I may skip the pork and kraut this trip. Might go with a stew instead.

If there is a God, big Frank will be there. If Dave will let me, I'll take him in the 2 man pontoon.

Of all the times I have been up there I have never actually met Big Frank... next time I am there can someone please come find me so I can finally meet this amazing fella? Not sure if I can make it but I always try. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Nick,
For Frank check here
13:08
and
14:33

Nick,
Big Frank is 6' 4" of fun. He has everyone laughing until they cry. I'm guessing he may be a little too much for you to take in big doses.

Tom,
I posted an article from FF Mag 2007. It's in the hatches section listed as "Paul Weamer article 2007 - Sulphurs". In that article he does mention the legendary "peach fly". :)

Martin,

After a short talk with Phil, I made the determination that I'll be getting shots from you. I've contracted a rare virus that affects my ability to think properly while holding a golf club. I am currently getting treatment. If I'm able to rid myself of it, shots won't be needed but the prognosis is grim.

Hi Krayfish, do you know if theres any rooms left at the motel? Im pretty sure i'll be able to make it.

I called the motel last week to inform them when we'd be coming and to get a feel for how busy they'd be. At this point, we are the only people scheduled that week and I believe they are holding 7 rooms for the "paff Catskill group".

I believe the rooms are $55 as a single or $60 if you have 2 occupants. If you are definitely coming, I'd suggest giving them a call to make sure they put your name on a room. To help reduce cost, you can pair up or see if anyone wants to share a room. I'm splitting a room with Josh, I believe NJ Tom is paired up with young Mike from NY.

I'm headed up Saturday with the nephew for a few days. Fishing the dog days can be tough but I hope to post some inspirational photos when I get back.

Hahaha that's pretty funny but not gonna work...I remember you saying before you could play a little so I don't think strokes are needed. I'm hoping to make it up Tuesday night but might not be till Wednesday night depending on work.

Well, Phil has relayed that you played in state high school championship a few years back. I've never played at that level. I've had a handicap as high as 17 and as low as 1.8. It's typically all or nothing. First 2 rounds of the year...71 & 92. Pretty consistent eh? We just play skins ($1 for win, $2 for birdies and $5 for eagles). Carryover applies....meaning first 4 holes are tied...you win hole 5 with a chicken...I owe you $10

May I recommend at golf forum for you two. :cool:

Boy, that post killed this thread. Thanks Jack. :-D

Bruno and I are in for sure. DaveS is in pending a job interview. Waiting to hear on Andrew and Coty. We'll make reservations in the next week or two. Anyone else in Western PA who wants in on our caravan, let me know.

Dave can't be out. Let me talk to the employer for him. That means no fried turkey!!! Josh will be out then. LMAO

Whats the name of the hotel so I can call and book a room?

Capra Inn Motel
19 Reviews(607) 637-1600
521 W Main St, Hancock, NY 13783

Kray, I count me in. Phil, are you going to make it there after the wedding? Anyone wanting to share a room, give me a shout. I even have an extra pontoon boat if needed.

Beeber,

That's excellent you can make it. If you bring and extra pontoon, we'll find a butt to sit in it. I haven't gotten a commitment from Brandon yet. Hoping he joins in or let's us borrow / rent his drift boat. I believe Phil is coming early a nd leaving Friday for wedding weekend.

*** if you are calling for a room, let them know you are with Andy and the PAFF group so they keep all of us together. I think they are holding half of the motel for us at this point.

Back