Drift boat inquiry

Tucker733

Tucker733

I'm interested in finding a used drift boat. I'm in college and have been guiding on the side in Western MD. I recently made a good investment and can afford to get a used boat. I know how hard they are to come by around here. I'm looking to see what you guys think about owning one and finding one. Will the show at Lancaster be a good place to find one? Any tips are a help! Thanks

There's a used Clacka in the swap forum. Buy it... so I'm not tempted to buy it anymore.

I posted a few weeks ago looking for a boat and I'll be going to pick it up this weekend. If you're willing to travel a few hours there should be a few options out there....the boat posted in the swap forum is in excellent shape and may be a good option if you're looking to guide with clients.

Media, can I ask how you found your new (to you) drift boat

The boat in the swap forum seems to be a little to much boat for me. I like something a little older but still good for 3 guys.

Tucker,

Where are you going to use it? Yough or New? Are you sure that a hard boat would be best for your needs? If you are fishing faster / rock filled rivers, a raft will take the abuse more than a drift boat will. What kind of budget are you working with?

The boat in the swap forum is very nice. The same boat new would be 12k+. Just about any used boat you find will be $4900 and up. Doesn't matter if it's 2 years old and beat to hell or 16 yrs old and garage kept. Used boat prices have really jumped over the last couple of years. Used to have a good selection for $4000-$5000 and they were in good shape. Now decent used boats seem to be $6000-$8000. You can get a new raft set up for that or less......but it won't have a trailer. If you have a snowmobile or utility trailer, you'd be all set. You can find used raft / trailer packages for $3000 - $4000.

PM sent......

PS Brookie...buy it! You know you want to. It's a sweet ride.

krayfish2 wrote:

PS Brookie...buy it! You know you want to. It's a sweet ride.

Hahaha! I've been kicking it around. I hope it sells soon.

I was talking with a guide friend about some of the boats I was looking at (including the clack in the forum) and he said he knew of one that may be available soon. Sent me name and phone # for the owner and we had a deal in less than an hour.

Tucker,

I am curious to know what investment you made that provided you with a profit to buy a drift boat? I want in!

My investments don't seem to be making me anything right now . . .

CLSports wrote:
Tucker,

I am curious to know what investment you made that provided you with a profit to buy a drift boat? I want in!

Currently at -15% on mine so yeah, I could use a good investment tip as well!

Would like to get in on the investment opportunity. PM me.

My investment was buying 2 used vechiles and tripling my money on them. Just got lucky and now can get something I really want.

allan_s wrote:
CLSports wrote:
Tucker,

Currently at -15% on mine so yeah, I could use a good investment tip as well!

I stopped looking at my 401k after I was down 18 grand in 3 weeks time. I'm young enough that I have a lot of time for it to grow but damn that hurt.

I'm coming from the yak world, but I saw the flycraft raft/drift boat at the outdoors show over the weekend and I was very intrigued. It's a 2 person boat (with room for a booster seat for a small person) but should definitely fit your price point. Coming in at about 100 lbs with the gear rack, it's light enough to throw on top of the car or it's packable to fit in the trunk of a sedan.

Flycraftusa.com but their site is down today. (I'm not affiliated in any way)

It looks like it started as a kickstarter campaign. With a good enough backing to launch.

Flipping cars for profit. Good business sense you have there or maybe you just got really lucky. Either way, you will have a bright future with smart money making schemes like that one. Enjoy the boat!

I'd take that money, buy 4 more cars and flip those for even more $$.....but you know what they say.....mo money, mo problems. Lol

I'm also a yak guy...have been on a 16 footer for the last 14 years, just sold it. 90% fishing, the rest fly out hunting floats.

SOme thoughts on a drift boat...you have to have a trailer period! yak you do not. Though its nice! you can easily build a flat bed on top of your truck bed to hold one big enough for 2 people. I don't know what you're running (1x1 1x2 etc). but its something I'd consider.

If you're sold on a drift boat...why not build one? this is in my not so distant future plans. You can buy a kit, or just buy plans....depends on what you have for resources at hand.

that flycraft boat is like my propioneer without the fancy seats.

one thing about them (inflatable canoe design) they are tippy. You can stand as seen on the video just fine...but take a rock sideways and you're swimming! been there done it!

pretty sweet setup though! Oh the other thing I've noticed is I wished my sticks were longer.

I did just sell both my rafts in the last few months, getting ready for an upcoming move. You can easily find a propioneer used for 1500 or less loaded.

On the diy drift boat, I think a wooden boat would be heavy and therefore have limited launching options as opposed to a glass boat. But I'm no expert.

The weight would make launching in se spots tougher. The big drawback in my eyes is the extra care that a wood boat would require .

Back