Do you consider it ethical to advertise small streams?

Voted no.

If you think anglers are secretive about small trout streams, try to get the local smallmouth spot out of someone who lives in Franklin county. Good luck, and note how the person you asked squints at you like Clint Eastwood.

Wanted to vote yes its OK, but inadvertantly voted no. I can broadcast any information I choose about any stream I choose. It's a personal choice and I will not be censored. That said I usually only provide info about this type of streams to my "inner sactum." Not because I think it's unethical(ethics is too strong a word IMO) but because it's MY choice.

I agree that it's unethical to censor people, and wouldn't do so.

I don't agree that it's unethical to give them a hard time about "spot burning", and have no problem telling them that I feel they've said too much. Usually, in my experience, people can understand where I'm coming from, and realize their error. I don't think it's smart to start a war on a thread about a stream, but it happens. I usually opt for PM.

I guess the hard part of this for me is attempting to judge the actions of others unless their actions are CLEARLY black or white. This seems to me a gray issue and while I may disagree with the things people do in the gray area I am not willing to judge, at least out loud.

Just stumbled onto this quote and thought of this thread and the poll:

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.
~ Mark Twain

I think there's an awful lot of reflection going on here. And an awful lot of reaffirming of opinions on the subject.

Remember... I was one of the most vocal people on your side as recently as a year or two ago. I've reflected on this plenty, and realized that there are places that are special for their secrecy, or at least the illusion.

I think it's worth communicating that stance to people who violate it. Most of the time, they just didn't realize. Other times, they don't care. In that situation, I have no problem with letting them hear it for their violation of fly fishing etiquette and sportsmanship. In a third, least common case, broadcasting this type of information is done for spite. I've only seen that done once, though.

RRT,

It is never a losing battle!

Ethical - Not in my opinion.

As mentioned, PM is a great tool...if you wish to share a smaller stream, or a specific stretch on a stream that may not be small. example. the John Doe stretch on X creek.

Jack, there would not be a fist fight if i met you on stream...I'd probably smile, shake your hand and offer you a fly or tip. Now the next day if i saw you post about it on the innerwebbings, i'd probably call you all sorts of names...

I'd need a microscope to see Sal, word has it he is like 4 feet tall and wears camo. Redefining flying under the fish's radar...

an aside, that would be an interesting topic...Do you wear drab clothing whilst fishing? or do you go all out and wear camo?

Attachments

• 3402713818_0aa36c0753.jpg
    3402713818_0aa36c0753.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 7
I have read these threads before. Never really wanted to post anything because I am relatively new to the forum. I grew up in Northwest PA and fished native streams many of times. It was always a great "getaway" from everyone on the stocked streams.
I also agree I would not want these streams "highly" traveled. I do not want to see bait cans etc lying next to this prestine area. As far as "showing" or taking someone new to the stream I consider okay because I would want someone trustworthy to enjoy the beauty as well. With that being said, I now live in the Lehigh Valley and as populated as it is, it has been hard to find these rare gems. I believe I need to travel up north to find something. Would be nice again to fish without seeing buildings and major highways!

I voted no.
Don't know if it's a matter of ethics, but it's just common sense IMO
Interesting that Jay has reversed his thinking on this matter in the last few years.
I really think that the longer one fishes, the more they realize how fragile these gems are - and become more secretive about them. I really think it's a natural progression for all fly fishermen.

I could see how someone's "hidden gem" could be "broadcast" by a person to whom the stream isn't hidden or a gem at best or a poor fishing mudhole at worst, based on angler perception. This could happen based on conditions, fish movement, fishing ability thereby upsetting another angler or anglers. Thus my opinion to not pass judgment on what one chooses to post or not post.

acristickid,

It's good to see you picked one of their better songs.

scotto wrote:
Thus my opinion to not pass judgment on what one chooses to post or not post.
Touche! I think some people should heed the Serenity Prayer and "accept the things you can not change". It might add a few years to one's life. ;-)

cmkrachen wrote:
Jack, there would not be a fist fight if i met you on stream...I'd probably smile, shake your hand and offer you a fly or tip. Now the next day if i saw you post about it on the innerwebbings, i'd probably call you all sorts of names...

Well, here's the thing: if you took me there, I'd not post about it without your permission. If I found it on my own, I might. I have a reason when I post stream reports-- it is intentional. Sometimes my reason is to share my joy. Sometimes it is to share the stream. Sometimes it is to educate others about fishing opportunities, and how to go about finding them. Sometimes I am trying to show the value of the stream, all our streams, all our fishies. If I "own" the knowledge, by discovering the stream on my own, I have complete freedom, in my view, ethically, to use my experience to accomplish any of the things I mentioned above.

By and large, the sharing of information INCREASES the enjoyment of our sport for more people than it harms. And those that feel harmed are just being martyrs. I salute PAFF for being a site that does not feel the need to cave in to a vocal majority and I also hold hope that people who like to share information publicly feel welcome and free to do so on PAFF.

I voted no, but it really depends on the circumstances.

"secret" water is a fishermans fairy tale

Sometimes my reason is to share my joy. Sometimes it is to share the stream. Sometimes it is to educate others about fishing opportunities, and how to go about finding them. Sometimes I am trying to show the value of the stream, all our streams, all our fishies.

Well..
Not gonna lie, didn't read all three pages of this and know im probably just reiterating what everyone else said ad litteram. However, being introduced to fly fishing at a young age changes everything for me. Like you said "to share the joy" thats what fly fishing means to me. When I introduce my friends to fly fishing the same contagious smile that hovers above fly fishing came upon them and it made my day. Every few times have I came across a man who doesn't want to share his secrets. I understand not giving away total honey holes but a stream is totally acceptable in my book. I feel that MOST ff take care of a stream and the fish and wildlife who inhabit the waters. So i guess to sum up a paragraph of pointless rambling I see it ethical to advertise a smaller native stream as long as it isn't being presented as a wonderland or something that would cause it to be over-fished

I voted no I feel small streams get enough pressure on there own let alone broadcasting it to every bob and tom a private discussion on other hand is different if you feel you can trust someone and they won't harm or broadcast the stream then by all means go for it but there is some streams i wouldn't mention to hardly anyone and one stream i wouldn't mention to anyone not even my fishing partners but this is all my opinion on the matter

Back