different brookie rod: dorber "lil streamer" with more & larger guides?

Ok, I will try to fish those dorbers asap, maybe even sooner given the cold. :) Hard to describe what I mean by a "small stream," people have different ideas of that ... I would like to name specific streams, but it raises concerns here about having more people fish there.

My dorbers are in... this is the 5' 6" 5 weight ... I put on a 2.2 oz forbes magnesium reel and sci anglers 5 w headstart line (dorber says level type lines are good for these rods)... It balances, is ultralight and will be easy to carry out there. Notice the 10 oversize guides on 5' 6" rod ... In yard casting, I am impressed: in to a little headwind, I could cast out 35 feet to a litttle stick in the snow with good accuracy with this 5' 6" rod, and I am no fly casting guru. This rod is obviously only for tiny bushwhack type streams, where I would not need to cast 35 feet, but would sidearm cast under branches with little backcast. I'm not taking it to the upper delaware, but the dorber seems very good for hikes to brookie streams, and does seem to shoot line easily. Rod was about $125 delivered, and the guys at dorber were very helpful and gave good advice. Hope the snow melts soon.

4395646531_c0e0ec0c5b_b.jpg
[/url][/img]

looks like a great little rod! hopefully get to see some action shots next?!

bikerfish Didin't take pictures, but I took the 5W dorber out today and bagged a little brookie on its first cast/flip, can't be a bad sign .... it casts well with small wet flies. Even though I didn't expect brookies grab dries in mid 30s water, I made some casts maybe 20 feet- 25 feet sidearm under branches with mid-size Wullfs and the casting went well .. I mostly tossed small bright san juan worms with about a 6ft leader.

I was lucky enough to catch an 8.5" brookie, fish was about and inch and a half shorter than distance from butt to end of grip on dorber ... the rod is not overpowered for a fish like that, nice

So to fish medium to small dry and wet flies on very tight streams and hiking trips, I think the 5'6" dorber "lil streamer" will be great ... that's the plan once the water is warm: fish dries upstream, staying low. Some brookie guys use weighted nymphs and rather big streamers a lot, and the dorber just isn't the right rod for that!

k-bob wrote:
Since our arms add 2-3 feet, even a six foot rod has its tip 8-9 feet out there in a sidearm cast. .

You can bring your casting hand right in against your body and still cast well.

And if you are already backed into the rhododendron pretty far, your fly rod doesn't stick out very far in a sidearm cast.

Thanks for the report. Enjoy the rod.

sal: "Im not completely sold on them being the ultimate small stream rod. Often i find myself fishing several streams in one trip. "

yes i agree..... the (5' 6" 5W) dorber is great for casting dry flies or small wets in small overgrown places, but if you are going to another, bigger stream, or want to cast flies with more than a little weight, it can't be a good choice

rod reel line and all weigh about 18 oz in a cut sci anglers case... snap to carrry!

OK, I have now fished two dorber lil streamer rods a number of times ..... again, they are a 6 foot, 3 section, 3 weight for a backpack, and a 5' 6", 2 section, 5 weight for a heavier line. As dorber suggested, I have gone to lines with short tapers. (I cut some of the taper off, and put on those cortland connectors that secure with heat shrink tubing so I have a nice loop to attach a leader).

I have now fished some of the same holes on small, brushy brookie streams with the dorbers and other rods of about the same length (a 6 ft orvis superfine 4 weight, and a 6 ft cabelas TQR 5 weight).

The dorbers really do make a a difference when you need to shoot line with less backcasting space because of branches. After fishing some short-backcast holes with a dorber lil streamer, and then going back with one of the other rods, it is clearly harder to shoot the line without the dorber's set of 10 oversize guides on even a 5' 6" rod. That doesn't really surprise me, there are many more guides on a dorber and they are much bigger.

With unlimited backcasting space in the yard, I can make a longer cast with the 6 ft 5 weight cabela's TQR than the 5' 6" 5 weight dorber lil streamer. (But there are no brookies in the yard!) In the real world of a restricted backcast on a brookie stream under trees, I can shoot more line with the 5' 6" dorber. The dorbers are just easier to use and more effective on the kind of streams they're made for. Nice.

Of course these rods are not for everyone and every stream, but for small, brushy brookie streams, they really do let you shoot more line with a short backcast, and at about $110-$130 I think they are a great deal. Very light and they seem well made. Wish I found them earlier!

thanks for the report k-bob! they sound like a cool rod for a good price. the 3wt 3pc sounds nice!!

the 6ft 3piece 3 weight is great ... I carry it when using a bike to get to streams; really light and it does help shoot line

Back