Dealing with ticks.

If it were a little bigger diameter and could open beer bottles, THAN you'd have something!

A haircut might help as well.....If the ticks do manage to infiltrate your chemical defenses the probability of finding them increases greatly when you have less hair you have to search!!!!!! Just sayin :)

Are you suggesting I shave my back?

(is my reel in, or should I not bother stopping in this afternoon?)

(its not)
(ps, thanks for the rabbit)

I found a tick the other day embedded on me after sml.game hunting. I dont ever remember getting any while fishing with waders on and stream fishing. To the poster wha said a tick needs to on you for atleast 24 hours to give you Lyme's....I dont agree,if it is embedded and engorged I think you can get it.

A friend and i went to Clear Shade creek at the iron bridge if anyone is familiar with this stream and area , we fished upstream and did manage to catch a couple but when we were done as we were taking the gear off i found two of the deer ticks on me , in the hair at the back of the neck , neither had started biting yet so i was able just to pick them off , i'm glad i found them before they started to bite , did a much more thorough search when i got home and didn't find any more so i guess i dodged the bullet this time. Gives me the willies just thinkin about it.

Wear your socks tight, your sleaves tight and your neck tight. Breathable shirts are awesome. I rub deet behind my ears and down the sides of my neck. I still don't bring my clothes in the house after fishing or hunting unless they go directly in the washing machine. My poor dogs don't have the same protection and I brush them and check them all of the time, with a flea and tick program in place.Darn bugs!

Wetnet........Don't you worry about the effects of DEET? Not only on you but on your pups? My luck would be not to get sick with Lyme disease but from DEET Poisoning.

Bugs whatever you put on your dogs if the ticks are bad they are on them Advant... whatever, Frontier... whatever. We pet our dogs up, so we call it. We check for tick or lumps or injuries when ever they come in. We find ticks most times. We vaccinate for lymes but they can still get it anyway and they can spread their little friends to us. I just keep a vigil. We also keep the field mowed low. Rotten bugs!

I saw a peice on ticks on the Animal Planet and they showed how the Deer tick finds/hunts its victims. They climb up in branches and brush till they are above most of what they feed on , then they hold on with back legs and when something causes the perch they are in to move they let go , dropping down on the unsuspecting victim. Pretty simple way to hunt but it works , if the perch moves and they let go and miss they just climb back up and try again. One more thing then i'll shut up , be very careful being around anyone cleaning a deer , as the deer starts to cool off and rigor mortis starts to set in they leave like rats leaving a sinking ship , from what i've read and watched on TV the deer tick is the worst for carrying disease but they can all carry various ailments.

Great! Thanks! I won't worry.

Attachments

• WesDoe08.JPG
    WesDoe08.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 3
They don't like the taste of Garlic, eat lots of it...

Nice doe , and from the looks of the mark it was a good front shoulder shot tell him i said WAY TO GO!!!!!! But watch out for those ticks leaving the sinking ship LOL

Guys, keep alert for any weird rashes, fatigue, and deep "in the bone" type pains. If you notice anything out of the ordinary after you have been fishing alot, get checked right away for lymes. You gotta catch it fast or it can do some nasty damage. I had it three months and barely knew it until later on because I was ignoring the signs. Still got rid of it all though.

You should meticulously check yourself after every outing , if any of you have ever seen the show "Monsters Inside Me" Lyme disease is a minor problem when it comes to ticks , they carry so many parasites it boggles the mind. One thing they did say is that it takes a tick 24 hrs to infect you. From the time they alight on you till they find a comfy place , till they bite and suck blood=about 24 hrs. So if you check yourself thoroughly right away when you are done for the day , most of the time they haven't even started to bite yet , you will catch 'em while they are on the move. The quicker you find them the better , use a mirror (ugh) and really look. They like those nooks and crannys.

Back