Dealing with ticks.

Fishidiot wrote:
Is Permanone a brand name for another permethrin based product?

Exactly.

http://www.rei.com/product/784097

Who would have guessed that Pickett's Charge was actually stopped by the rebels stopping to pick off ticks at the fence along the Emmitsburg Rd. ;-)

H.A.

Permanone, permanone, permanone. You can find it with the other bug sprays at wally world. Just spray your cheap long sleeve tee, waders and anything else you may wear that touches brush and let dry. Lasts weeks even through a wash or 2. I'm sure it causes cancer every pesticide that works well does but you bite your split shot so you won't mind.

LittleLehigh,

Interesting suggestion to treat waders, I hadn't thought of that. Have you noticed any premature wear and tear from using Permanone to treat your waders?

I don't care how hot it is anymore I cover up everything. I have been dealing with lymes for three years. I could hardly walk at one point. It left me with arthritis in my right knee and I'm only 28. You can't get lymes from a deer tick unless it has been on you for at least 24hrs. So look yourself over after every trip. Lymes is some nasty stuff.

Jaybo

From the best I can tell I do not see any premature wear. I think if you read the can it is recommended for tents which I think is equivelent material. BTW I only use a cheap pair of cabela's neoprenes.

This stuff shouldn't be so difficult to track down. Two Walmarts and a Dick's, and I'm still without.

yeah, I wouldn't worry about neoprenes, the question for me is whether it'll degrade breathables.

I don't do anything special to prevent lyme disease. I probably should. I've had a few ticks at times, though I can't say ever from fishing (when I used to small game hunt it was common). In some places I use DEET products, mostly for the mosquitoes but it works on ticks too. The problem is that when mosquitoes aren't a problem, I don't apply the stuff, I hate bug spray and the way it makes me smell and feel.

Thanks LL, that helps although I'm like PCray and use breathables so I'm a little tenative to use it on waders. Knowing the stuff treats clothing and tents may mean it's OK to use on waders, but anyone with a track record of using this stuff with breathables that can chime in would be helpful. I'd hate to apply it and find that it causes premature wear on my primary set of waders. Maybe the application to the fishing shirt would be enough of a deterrant.

Maybe I'll try it with my backup/lighter weight waders and give that a shot first, it wouldn't kill me if I had to replace those.

Anyone have experience using Permanone and Peremethrin that can comment on which seems to work better?

Gfen, check REI, they have both Permanone and Peremethrin, I'm think they have the stuff that you can apply to your skin also.

Warning: DEET and some fly lines don't mix. Be careful. Don't ask how I found that out.....

jaybo,

If I did treat my waders, I'd probably only treat the top. Ticks ain't gettin through the waders, they have to go up over....

I agree with pcray. I merely treat the upper few inches of my waders/hip boots with permethrin.

Who would have guessed that Pickett's Charge was actually stopped by the rebels stopping to pick off ticks at the fence along the Emmitsburg Rd. ;-)

H.A.

HA,
I want the first signed copy of your impending new book about the Real Reason the South Lost the Civil War. :-D

From Chapter 2:

"Several of the Union and Confederate officers were flyfishers. The real cause of the Battle of Gettysburg was to stop Confederate spot-burning of our limestoners." :lol:

I'm gonna need someone to do the artwork in the book - interested?

Seriously - ever read anything about the Battle of the Little Bighorn? I've heard stories about the reason Custer's support was late in arriving was that the general involved was fishing! Makes sense - can't miss a good hatch. :-D

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Seriously - ever read anything about the Battle of the Little Bighorn? I've heard stories about the reason Custer's support was late in arriving was that the general involved was fishing! Makes sense - can't miss a good hatch. :-D

Yes, this would have been General Crook who, after the Battle of the Rosebud, had a great time catching cutthroats in the nearby creeks. Supposedly, one staff officer caught over 140 fish, mainly by fly fishing or using hoppers for bait. This fishing expedition went on while Custer was getting whipped.

I suspect some Rebs may have done some spot burning on a local limestoner or two during the G-burg campaign (although I haven't seen a source for this). Lee's camp at Chambersburg before the battle was at Messermith's Woods which, at the time, was clustered along Falling Springs Creek in what is today the DHALO section. Maybe the Rebs fattened up on some of those brookies. :)

I hate putting that stuff on me, I don't do it unlees I have no choice, fishing penns or clarks they can get pretty bad.

Has anyone ever tried those things that you clip on?

PaulG

.... the rest of the story:

Attachments

• risers.JPG
    risers.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 4
Another warning about DEET. It breaks down 2 part thread finish on most fishing rods. I've never experienced this first hand but I heard about it on on the rod building forum. SO BEWARE!!!

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Another warning about DEET. It breaks down 2 part thread finish on most fishing rods. I've never experienced this first hand but I heard about it on on the rod building forum. SO BEWARE!!!
and turns your fly line into pudding.........

I dislike Bugspray... and Sunblock too. However if I do get a tick after a thorough body search i use this http://www.tickkey.com/ It works well on removing the nasties. and in the rare cases when my dogs get them - it works especially well.

My Mother just gave me a tick key last week that she picked up at Cabelas. I hope I never have to use it but I'm sure I will. Fits nicely on key ring.

Never seen the Tick Key thing before...might have to try it...I just put a glob of Vaseline on the embedded tick and it backs right out...I still have marks from my Dad's "Match" method...

Back