Cress Bug pattern

I do use a lot of ostrich, but I think it folds flat once wet. You will definately have to rib it to keep the flat appearance of a cress bug.

I like the match stick lead and I have also wrapped lead and pinched/squashed it flat with pliers.

Ostrich does mat when wet and out of the water. It puffs back out when submerged, much like marabou.

That fly is very similar to a walts worm, which works pretty well in limestone streams.

surveyor06 wrote:
That fly is very similar to a walts worm, which works pretty well in limestone streams.

Walts Worms are generally bigger, like 10-14 and Sow Bugs tend to run 14-20ish. At least that's what I've observed. Also, Walts Worms tend to have more of a taper too.

There was a time when I used honeybugs in gray or cream when cressbugs were heavy. The gray worked better, but I could see the cream one better in the water so sometimes I switched to cream when sight fishing. Also used the cream one as an "indicator" nymph when fished with a small midge.

wsender,

I def. agree with you on the size of a cress bug, its what I have observed also. I do tie larger Walts Worms, but I have them in 16 and 18. I think they look like a scud, but could double as a cress bug in a pinch. I like simple fly's; the less that can be rejected the better. No doubt that tie will catch fish though, its a good looking fly.

We're begining to split hairs here. Ray Charles and Walt's Worms are similar enough to be mistaken for each other as similar food products by less enabled bodies.

Im sorry but rabbit guard hairs and antron dont look nor do they have the same underwater qualities as ostrich herl.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
Im sorry but rabbit guard hairs and antron dont look nor do they have the same underwater qualities as ostrich herl.

Your right, and fishies know when I use an English Hares Mask or when I'm using a domestic Rabbit Mask. :roll:

90% of tying is done to please us....

wsender wrote:
JohnnyUtah wrote:

Your right, and fishies know when I use an English Hares Mask or when I'm using a domestic Rabbit Mask. :roll:

Sender, your taking it a little far there. Or as you would say splitting hares.(intended) I just pointing out they have different underwater characteristics that's all. Knowing your materials characteristics, both in the water and how it ties, is very important in fly design and in fishing applications.

wsender wrote:

Yep. Otherwise we would use worms.

Honey Bug cress bug. and a real cress bug..

Attachments

• cress bug honey bug 002.jpg
    cress bug honey bug 002.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 3
  • cress bug honey bug 003.jpg
    cress bug honey bug 003.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 4
  • cress bug.jpg
    cress bug.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 3
Great color representation. No doubt the honeybug cress does work well. Thanks for the comparison pics sandfly.

Bead, lead, hares ear, flash ribbing, crush lead, done!

Sandfly , is that Honey Bug chenille just wrapped up the hook or is there someting else going on, also what colour is that?

Thanks

red thread and honey bug thats it. I take a bodkin and heat it and run across the top to flatten and darken slightly..the color is called cress bug.. the cress bug in the picture is a size 14 and the honey bug is a size 15..

Thanks Sandfly, might have to try that one.

Here's what my preferred cress bug pattern looks like when finished. Scruffy critter. I prefer my scuds and cress bugs unweighted.

Hook: About size #14
Body: Gray dubbing, white hackle palmered and trimmed
Shell: Cress bug yarn, darkened with gray magic marker

Attachments

• Cressbug.jpg
    Cressbug.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 2
Thanks Dave, I like that one, very bug and looks like it has good movement with the white legs.

Back