Chest wader options

I don't know why I even responded to your post. I forgot that you ........ #1 know EVERYTHING and #2 have fished with me and were an expert on my angling habits. Thank you for killing another thread. I'm done here.

Take it easy Francis, I was just kidding around.

Like you haven't gone off on bamboo before!

Lol lol lol lol

Butthurt

Guys, thanks for all the information so far. Sorry for any disputes I have created but please keep up with the options and opinions.

Just thought I would share this...I know its all subjective and I dont want to drop the money on most of these but thought it would be great for everyone to see if they havent http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2013-wader-shootout-best-waders-simms-g4-simms-g3-patagonia-rio-gallegos-orvis-silver-sonic-dan-bailey-guide-ultra-redington-aquaz-cabelas-bootfoots

Oh, I was just ribbing him. He can dish it out with the best of them, but his ability to handle the same treatment appears to be in doubt. That is, unless I misinterpreted his response. It's hard to tell in type...

Thanks for the link. I think I read it before, but I forgot about it. Of course, nobody's going to ever be able to tell you that this wader will last exactly this long on you, in the types of fishing you do. But at least these guys attempt to put some sort of objectivity to it, and even breakout the categories so that if you weight trade-offs differently than they do, you can see how each scored in each category and adjust accordingly. It's as good a review as you're ever going to find.

i agree with PC, my waders last 2 years max - though i fish saltwater a lot too.

i guess they are not designed for 50-60 fishing days a year.

i have the orvis silver sonics which seem to be holding up quite well - whilst i have met and fished with guys that have had simms for 5+ years and swear by them, i also know plenty of guys who got sick of using the warranty.

i do have one pair that has lasted 8 years and counting - Hodgeman PVC's $30.

its a crapshoot IMHO.

The best budget wader I have used is Cabelas gII.

Waders last 2 years? Do you drag them behind the car on your way to the stream? I've never heard of such a problem. My waders will be starting their 7th year. I have worn out a pair of guide boots in the last 4 years because I don't do do anything other than sit in a boat. Could it be that you aren't properly caring for your gear? Even a 'husky' guy like Shane has waders last longer than 2 years. Do you have any idea how much pressure must be on his wader seams?

Bahahaha yourself ;-)

171, PM sent with some possible wader options.

Pat,
Thought I was done but I was wrong. Grab a sheet of paper and add this up. I tried but it didn't work for me. Add the following: 90 minute drive + 3 mile hike + backpack + bamboo rod + 12 elk hair caddis + 7 brook trout (4" each). The sum should be "fun" but I can't seem to come up with that total. I guess my real oquestion is that when a stream is small enough to jump across, why wear waders at all? I'd drive 90 minutes to hike in the woods. That I can understand. To then drag along gear to catch 4" fish doesn't quite compute. Why not just use a branch with some mono tied to it?

If I tried your type of fishing and you tried mine, who do you think would meet with more success? You should try it. I think it would help you save money on waders. Have a blessed evening.

1. I can get 7 4" brookies 5 minutes down the street. If I go 90 minutes to fish, I'm picking a place where 30-60 fish is more the norm, averaging more like 6 or 7", with a decent contingent closer to 9-10".
^^That's if it's a known stream. I like to explore new streams too, and they're a crap shoot, but discovery is a big part of the fun. As is the research to try to improve your odds.

2. Bamboo NEVER goes on brookie outings.
3. I don't carry backpacks. On the most ambitious outings, maybe a fanny so that I can carry a drink and snack. Usually, nothing beyond my Richardson and some tippet/shot in my waders pocket.

The fun is in where it takes you and the entire experience, not reeling in a few fish.

I also fish big water. Admittedly, I don't make it to true "rivers" like the D or the Lehigh very often, just not convenient enough to my locations. I'd enjoy them, though. Heck, I enjoy fishing the salt on the rare chance I get to. But I fairly frequently fish streams the size of Penns, Spring, BFC, etc. In fact, they'll be my primary focus from about March through May. I enjoy them. You'd enjoy a few brookie outings as well. We may, afterwards, retain our preferences, but variety is the spice of life.

As far as success, I'd expect you'd kick my arse on the true rivers. Especially if drift boats and double hauling weight are involved. I just don't have that much experience. On the medium streams that I do fish, I don't know where you rank, but I expect I could hold my own. As for the small streams, again, I don't know where you rank, and it depends on the difficulty level of the stream. But if you've truly never done anything like that, and faced with a thicker stream, I'd expect an experienced small stream guy who gives his full effort could at least double your score on your first outing. With an otherwise experienced background and decent ability to cast, though, after only a few outings and an equipment adjustment or two, you'd catch on and be able to narrow the gap. From there, your ability to fully close the gap would depend on whether you could maintain focus during a long day chasing "dinks".

I too have Simms Guide boots. I think this will be their 3rd season, so the jury is still out. They are showing considerable wear, but I can't say that I see any signs of catastrophic failure. Just a beat up surface appearance and flattening tread on the ball of my foot where I push off. I'll consider them worth their money if they survive 4 complete seasons. I'd give that a 50/50 at this point.

Sorry, missed one of your questions. Why do I wear waders on small streams?

Lots of guys don't. But mainly it's about protection. Protection from brush and scratches. Protection from waterborne diseases should I cut myself. And protection from ticks. I'm also very sensitive to poison ivy.

The bigger question I face every outing is chesties vs. hippers. I usually take both in the car and decide on the spot, but more often than not I choose the chesties. A bit extra tick protection. And I tend to fish from a squatting position a lot, and hate getting my rear end wet, and then having to continue hiking like that. Waste highs would probably be a good investment, but I've never been able to justify having chesties, waste highs, and hippers in the arsenal.

I have to laugh... the review threw in the Red Balls at the end, kind of as a joke, since they haven't been made since '92. But I still have a pair that I still use as a backup! And when my waders started to leak last year, I used them... they still kept me dry!

krayfish wrote:
Waders last 2 years? Do you drag them behind the car on your way to the stream? I've never heard of such a problem. My waders will be starting their 7th year. I have worn out a pair of guide boots in the last 4 years because I don't do do anything other than sit in a boat. Could it be that you aren't properly caring for your gear?
Bahahaha yourself ;-)

i don't know, but they always go on the inside leg seam or the seams around the toes/heels.

i always always hang them to air dry.

I keep telling Mrs GB that i need to carry out an experiment - a pair for salt solely and a pair for fresh solely, and see how they last.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure how mine go, but I have a theory.

I'm now on my 8th pair that I have bought myself, which is 16 years of fishing since I started college.

I had 1 pair go in the booty, where I push off in the ball of my foot. Just wore through it. I think on that pair, my boots were maybe a little loose and it rubbed there.

I always hang them to dry in my basement. I may be lax about turning them inside out, but I don't think it's any sort of "rot". I could be wrong but I don't think so.

And it's not seams either. The only seam that ever went on me was on a pair that was already leaking elsewhere, it was merely the final nail.

What I think happens is pinholes from briars. Perhaps a bunch of them. Usually too small to take much notice of. I do, each winter usually, sit down and get out the Aquaseal and repair them properly. At that point they're usually evenly spaced around the upper legs. But I don't think it makes a difference whether I repair them or not.

Because then, I think it's about stretching. It's that stepping action when you step up on groin high boulders over and over again. I think that works those little pinholes into runs, much like a chip on a windshield will run. Whether or not Aquaseal is present doesn't make a difference, it just cracks when stretched that much. This usually occurs around the knees, inside thigh, or groin. Usually all of the above. It's never a "gushing" leak, but it just seems that over time, the material stops being fully waterproof. I put up with dampness for a while, till dampness turns to wetness, which turns into being able to truly wring out your pants and socks after a day of fishing, which turns into standing water sloshing around your feet.

When you do a leak test with say, alcohol, haha, it just looks like plaid. A complete, interlocking design of leak from the inside of the knee across the crotch to the other knee, often intercepting each other at original pinholes. There are pinholes on the outside of the thighs too, but they don't "run" like they do on the inside where it stretches repeatedly.

Then it's time for new waders. So far it's been remarkably predictable nomatter what brand/price I go with. First "dampness" happens at about half it's lifetime, and I hold it at bay until I can put up with it no more. By replacement time, I'll have gotten $100/year out of em.

The seam on top of the leg is the ticket. Have a pair of Simms L2 stockingfoots...must be 10+ yrs old. Seams inside legs and they have 2 tubes of aquaseal on them.

I probably will give it a shot. I expect my LLBeans to not last through this season. Was considering the next option. Simms is an option. I like giving new brands a shot, hoping someday I'll come across the magic ticket.

I can certainly imagine them being better, they do seem real nice. But at $400 and something, they have to be A LOT better to improve on value. I guess there's only one way to find out.

But yes, I shop for waders out of pure value. Because even the $80 Hodgemans couldn't be improved upon in terms of comfort, IMO. Longevity seems to be the only difference between them all.

I tried the Cabelas line of waders years ago. I started at the lowest and worked up the line to the top. I didn't get more than 2 or three outings from any of them. I'm not sure but I would say that I walk and cover more ground than the average angler. I no longer take chances on my comfort on any outing. We all work hard for our money but what value do you put on overall comfort and enjoyment when you do get the chance to fish. I have been using Simms waders for some time now. Take care of them and buy some revivex that Simms markets for their waders.
Do what you want. The importance of my enjoyment while outdoors doesn't have a price.
You could go cheaper... But, I would by a backup pair.

You don't need Simms if you don't leave the sight of your car. I'm assuming you plan to get after them.

a lot people recommend doing the seams, and i've tried the aquaseal route - and tried Softex too. neither works long term.

for me, the perfect wader is seamless. maybe with 3D printing we'll one day get it.

Aquaseal isn't something you use to prevent. It a last ditch effort attached to the prayer 'please let these make it through the season'

Shoe goo can fix what aqua seal can't. Had neoprene split on a bootie, probably two inches long, and shoe goo fixed. 1 year strong and no leaks from that hole. I had a pair of pro lines last eight years and when I finally upgraded they were more shoe goo than wader but they didn't leak. I still have them as a backup.

Back