CDC flies

FrequentTyer wrote:
I think it is funny that every time CDC comes up people will tell you how it floats like a cork, and then immediately tell you to use pixie dust. CDC really doesn’t float that much better than any other material. It has a large surface area relative to its density, so it does float well, but once the fibers get slimed it’s useless. And because of that large surface area, they get slimed much more effectively than a rooster hackle. The dust dries out the slime, but that’s just temporary. The Troth EHC floats just as well, and just needs an occasional false cast to dry it out.
But CDC is a great material and has its place. I do use the CDC and Elk caddis, but here I think you get the full benefit of CDC, and that is lifelike movement. The stray fibers that increase as you wind the CDC feather towards the front of the fly create a leggy chaotic halo on the water that seems to be attractive to fish. I’ve incorporated sparse CDC into ant and beetle patterns to try and get the same sort of effect. The only pattern I like that relies on CDC for floatation is the loop wing emerger. Here I also think that the look of the CDC is important. Trailing fibers create an illusion of movement and the loop catches air and looks shiny and shuck-like. I do wind up replacing these flies often, but they are simple ties and work well enough that it is worth it.
If I ever start a business I want to hire the marketing team behind CDC.
Mike.

Good post. I've reached many of the same conclusions about CDC as FT did, above.

BTW, the CDC and Elk is a great caddis pattern (and can imiate a mayflies too). Very simple to tie using two materials, and it works well.

Thanks for the insight.

I think I got exactly what i wanted from this post.

It seems like a great material but a lot of it is hype.

I think i may still add it to my order but not use it as the "answer to my prayers"

Here's my CDC and Elk Caddis. Tied on a Klinkhammer hook with a hot flash butt. I use Umpqua olive barred CDC. This one is a 12 for photo purposes but I'll tie them down in the 16-18 range and they work great.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 4
Nice fly DTF.. I am a big fan of the CDC and Elk and also like to tie them with Opal tinsel as an underbody before winding the cdc

dubthethorax wrote:
Here's my CDC and Elk Caddis. Tied on a Klinkhammer hook with a hot flash butt. I use Umpqua olive barred CDC. This one is a 12 for photo purposes but I'll tie them down in the 16-18 range and they work great.
Dub, nice fly! I like it, yep gonna tie it. Thanks.

thanks guys

Here is what I've been working on. Marc Petitjean style

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 2
Whoops, Not sure why its sideways??

Nice, I like that tie. And they fish very well.

Back