Cattaraugus creek ny

tstooge26

tstooge26

Hello everyone I'm heading up to New York this weekend for my annual trip...fished a lot of the streams up there but never hit the cattaraugus...I know the first 13 or so miles is on the reservation but I was wondering if anyone knows if the fish are up past it...thinking about trying on the way up but if they are up past the reservation or if I should pay to fish there...any info on the cat would be great this will be my first time fishing it

As always I appreciate the input

Check your pms.

Don't bother this weekend it will be blown out.

I'd try Oak Orchard. Less likely to be high? Lots of other streams in that area to fish. GG

not past the res. yet and only a few fish so far. maybe after this weekend they will be up all the way. whats wrong with fishing the res. I do all the time. fish the smaller tribs if we get the rains. so far not much has come down.

Was thinking of heading up this weekend as well. They are calling for a little rain but doesn't look like much. Although the cat does seem to blow out very easy. Really SHOULD be fish in all the creeks now though if the cat is blown out. Most people I have talked to are saying fish are few and far between particularly far up stream/river. NEED RAIN BAD. If your interested in fishing down low with the nuts I am sure there are at least a few fish anywhere. Although I must admit I have never fished the reservation to many scary stories for my liking.Either way please post back what you find info is great for us that live 6 hours away.

Im really hoping this year is a good year for steelhead. I sure could use some steelhead therapy this fall/winter. Judging by the amount we caught on the lake trolling for walleye this summer though I am not holding my breath.

Oh also wanted to mention Burts dam is ALWAYS my plain B in case blow outs. It has never let me down place is always crowded but the people are almost always decent and polite.

The res is a zoo and Burt dam is nice LOL...

I definitely wouldn't fish the res. Not worth the money. I fished there one time and all the windows in my car were smashed, my tires were slashed, I was robbed of all my fishing gear and tax free cigarettes, they kicked my dog, and all I caught was a sheepshead.

The res is a zoo and Burt dam is nice LOL...

I definitely wouldn't fish the res. Not worth the money. I fished there one time and all the windows in my car were smashed, my tires were slashed, I was robbed of all my fishing gear and tax free cigarettes, they kicked my dog, and all I caught was a sheepshead.

This is why I have never fished the reservation. I have herd so many of these stories. I defiantly would not consider burts dam the most beutiful place in the world to fish. However There are usually a good amount of big fish and like I said for as big as the crowds are it is the most civil place I have ever fished. Its a solid plain B. Beats sitting on a bar stool waiting for the creeks to recede. Yes it is certantly not solitude but once someone hooks into a good 10lb brown all complaints stop.

Thanks for the replies...I will be staying in olcott at the mouth of Burt...ill be up there sat to wed...I don't have any problems fishing the reservation but if I don't have to pay to fish I would perfer not to...ill be a Burt on day and oak another, not sure which days...if anyone will be in that area send me a pm maybe we can meet up

Thanks again

I'll be in the area (Burt-Oak) from Sunday till Sat. If you someone with an SF Giants hat and a beard and beer belly, say hi. Hope it rains cats and dogs for a day up there soon.

res is fine just don't be there after dark. never had a problem and have had 1/2 mile stretches to my self.

All I know if you are headed up better have this along 3", fish are hitting them right now.

Attachments

• DSCF9259 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF9259 (400x300).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3
moon1284 wrote:

Same thing has happened to me 100s of times.

There will be plenty of fish above Gowanda by this weekend.
We're about a 1 1/2 weeks behind for this year.

I did not catch any sheepshead last trip. Someone did break my windo and feed my dog Ex-Lax. It was a horrific ride home. I did see several cans of Lysol with straws in them. Is that normal?

I'll be the guy yelling "mend it, mend it, mend it".

Thanks for the input one the reservation, since I'll be driving up with my dad I think I'm going to stay out cause if someone would damage his new truck that would prob ruin the trip

Biggie I'll keep an eye out for you

Sandfly thanks for the fly recommendation, personally I have never done well one streamers for steelies or brown but I'll def give them a try

Don't bother this weekend it will be blown out.

Nice call, It was setting up nicely on Thursday afternoon with about a foot vis. and fish on the move. Oh well, I've never liked fishing the weekends anyway. Might be a window mid-week.

Should be good for the coming week...

You guys really have that many problems on the Rez? I've fished it this year already a few times with no issues, was this from years back or more recent?

Just don't bring your dog.

It's been a number of years since I have been there and I don't know about anyone else but I have been chased out of there by drunk "people" more than once. When you pull into a parking place and all you see are empty booze bottles and beer cans and empty shell casings. I will never go back. We were warned by the reservation fish and game protector not to be there after dark, and to expect trouble and that they are not responsible for any damage. For me it's not worth a couple of Steelhead.

Back