Can't catch 'em...Always get 'em

Can't catch 'em - Tully, just can't seem to figure it out

Always - used to be Codorus but it's been rough on me the last couple of times out.

Steve

Pete wrote:
“I realize this is a stretch[about 2000 miles] but the Yellowstone River from the top of Paradise Valley down to Columbus,Mt.,about 80 miles gets my vote as the toughest trout fisheries going.Usually tough but when the wind blows upstream,nobody catches trout.Those in the know don't go.
Always-no where-I have been skunked my fair share.However the Letort,Paradise,Yellow Breeches were my go to Pa. streams.Some sections of Penns seemed easy,others barren.
However that was back in the dark ages before Internet let everybody know the hot spots and flies.”

Pete, I don’t doubt you about the Yellowstone in the Paradise Valley area. The funny thing is I fished it a few years ago in a drift boat with a guide, actually one of the best guides I have ever fished with, and we did well. We had the river to ourselves, I recall seeing only one other drift boat and no wading anglers on the water in two days of fishing. We caught a lot of 16-18” fish and three or four 20+ inch browns each day. Some on dries, but most while stripping streamers and fishing nymphs. The secret fly that caught the big fish was a dark brown chenille girdle bug. The fly was tied on a #8 flat bodied (split shanked) nymph hook with rubber legs. Now when I tie them, I fill in the split area of the shank with soft lead putty. The fly ends up in a tear drop shape and sinks like a rock. It worked there, and is a great fly back east too, especially in fast water where stoneflies hide.

It funny how the locals know which water is productive day in and day out. Sometimes a tourist fishes a river, has good day, and proclaims that river to be the mecca of trout fishing. I know better than that, and I always rely on local knowledge. I would recommend fishing the Paradise Valley area though. More breathtaking scenery can’t be found – and the fishin’ MAY be good.

Oh,yeah its beautiful.
I shouldn't say this but I have had days when I caught thirty fish averaging two pounds or better many times on the Yellowstone but its also famous for skunking EVERYONE at times.Most big rivers tend to be moodier than the smaller ones-when the fish shut down,they really shut down much like salt water.

Back