cabelas ultralight wading boots: flexible but fragile?

It's funny how people's preferences differ so much. I absolutely hate hiking into a remote stream with waders on unless the outside temperature is below 60. I have quality breathables but if my skin is getting clammy, I'm not comfortable.

For the most part, I fish small native streams with my rubber knee high boots that I archery hunt with. It's rare I wish I had any higher protection for small streams. These boots hike well and keep my feet dry. I really like the Chota Hippies but can't justify the price tag for such a simple product.

I have quality breathables but if my skin is getting clammy, I'm not comfortable.

I'm fat and out of shape. For summertime woodland adventures, I'm going to be sweaty and clammy even if I were naked.

I wear breathables, and notice no difference between having these on vs. say, wading pants. No difference till you step in the water, anyway. If I did not want to wear my waders, I would wet wade, rather than carry them.

I am tempted to wet wade. It feels nice. Realistically it's the only other option to me to wearing waders in. But, I'm scared of infection, and ticks.

if you put "2013 wader shootout" in Google there is good info on breathable waders ...

Permathrin is the bomb. I discovered it many years ago in the army. Never had another tick on me since. It's not to be applied to the skin nor should you have contact with it when wet. Take your clothes outside hang from a tree branch and completely coat your pants,shirt,socks,hat and whatever else you may wear and let dry completely. Then go find the tickeest place you can find and have no fear. It last a long time and can can withstand a couple of washes.

As I get older putting waders on at the side of the creek is getting more difficult. I much prefer putting them on while seated on the back of the truck. For now I just really hate wearing them out of the water and find carrying them draped around my neck to not be a bother. I also don't carry a lot of gear other then a rod and a couple tins of flies. Pack light freeze at night as they say.

Back