cabelas ultralight wading boots: flexible but fragile?

thanks shoegoo might be a good look with my tape-patched waders

ShoeGoo is good and also Goop. Use both on boots and wader repair, much cheaper than Aquaseal and they work.

I've used the Cabela's Ultra Lights for the past couple of years and they still look almost like new. However, my fishing time is limited due to health issues.

I also like the stud soles. I feel pretty stable when wading, and slippery mud banks aren't a problem.

Ankle support is not as good as my older Cabela's boots, so I pick and choose depending on which stream I fish.

"Ankle support is not as good as my older Cabela's boots, so I pick and choose depending on which stream I fish."

thanks I will watch the ankle support and try to match the boots to the fishing trip..

Had a pair of those Cabelas lightweights a few years back. Like others have said, lasted 1 year and they were blown apart.

If anyone wears a 10 boot and needs boots..... I have a lightly used pair of Simms Rivershed (vibram sole) boots to sell. Retail $180.... I'm selling for $90. PM if interested

the cabelas boots are in, they are fairly light (27 oz size 10 w/o screws), very comfy standing, and have a _lot_ of sole flex walking.

they should be nice for walking with all that sole flex, but as others have noted, they are quite low on ankle support. I am not surprised that the sides of these boots tend to give out, the sole flex will stretch those sides.

thanks for the advice. I will enjoy walking in these, but try to remember the durability and ankle support issues. they weren't spendy, and I have a feeling I wont end up with another pair of boots with good uppers and worn out soles...

I was looking at these myself, they are listed at $29.95 on cabelas website, was thinking I could hike in with hiking boots and put the waders and wading boots on streamside.

I have had two pairs of those Cabela's ultralights. The first pair "lasted" about 3 seasons before the sole separated from the upper. I temporarily repaired that with some gorilla glue.

I replaced that pair with the same model because of the low price. I guess it is true that you get what you pay for. Less than one season and the sole is separating. I do fish several times a week...

Next time I am going with a better brand name.

Boots to me are like waders...their utility and effectiveness is best measured as a function of cost/time of use.

The Cabelas Ultralights did pretty well in that regard. I got approximately 18 months out of them and paid $70 = $3.89/month of use. I fish probably 60-75 days per year, many of which involve a lot of hiking.

If I paid say $150 for a pair of higher end boots, they would have to last approximately 39 months (3+ years) to achieve the same amount of utility to me. That's a tall task for any boot with the amount of hiking I do. $200 boots would need to hold up for 51 months...you get the idea.

Granted there are other factors to take into account as well...namely comfort. I didn't find the Ultralights to be comfortable over the duration of a 5 or 6 mile day, so I didn't buy them again when they wore out. But from a utility perspective in terms of time of use per dollar, I think they were worth the money.

boots are a consumable with performance comfort durability cost and safety differences ... like tires!

k-bob are you going to hike into your spots with them? cuz I don't think they're rated for mountain goats

henrydavid. I will probably use other boots on back of beyond trips like that one we took along the Lehigh. btw, turns out the next little stream south of there does have brookies. let's fish again some time, that was fun!

yeah, I'll have to get all my gear treated for ticks first though

right I use permethrin

Curious why people use their wading boots as hiking boots and then wonder why they are failing. I never hike in my waders and boots. I'm I the only one that carrys them on hikes. They pack so easily nowadays.

k-bob wrote:
right I use permethrin

I've heard about this product. Can you elaborate on how you use it and how successful it is? Do you apply it once and it's good for the season or do you apply it each time you go out? Does it kill ticks or repel them? Last year was the worst for me with deer ticks. I'd get 4-5 ticks each time I fished certain streams and usually always deer ticks. One even had to be surgically removed at a clinic. I'm hoping to prevent some ticks this year. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Permethrin is an insect repellent, and in reasonable doses, actually kills the insects which aren't repelled. Clothing and other cloths can be treated and it will last a few washes. Some insect repelling clothing is pre-treated with it, as well as other chemicals which increase it's stability and presumably make it last longer.

For a while it was used in medical creams, for treating the likes of lice and scabies, and it will kill them. Also as an agricultural and household insecticide. In the last decade or so it's become more common in lower doses as a repellant, as DEET was shown to be damaging on many fabrics as well as for human (and animal) health.

Permethrin is fabric safe and less toxic to warm blooded animals. However, it is much MORE toxic to cold blooded animals than DEET. Fish and amphibians especially, so be careful about getting any in the water. It's also extremely toxic, strangely, to cats. That one's fairly well known because a lot of flea and tick collars for dogs are permethrin soaked, but those type are not to be used if the dog is in close contact with cats, and they're talking about actually outlawing the permethrin ones for that reason.

oh I would rather just hike in waders and wading boots versus carry them because 1) I fish hike fish hike 2) waders are better tick wise... yes waders can be hot but breathable waders are less hot and lighter flexible boots are better to walk in.

for my use with a lot of hiking, I no longer think that it is good that the uppers of my heavy inflexible wading boots look fine after years of use.

I'd rather have boots that are more comfortable to walk in and weigh less even if the boots wear out faster.... and my heavy tough wading boats were wearing out in the soles anyhow.

the cabelas ULs are interesting and very flexible but there's not enough ankle support for me to wear those on a tough trip

they are expensive but the Patagonia ULs flex reasonably well are lighter than the cabelas and have better ankle support.

Agreed, I'm not packing in my waders. I don't take a backpack and don't intend to. That would be more hassle than just wearing the waders.

Ditto to what pcray and k-bob said to not packing in my waders and boots. Easier to wear them than carry them. Same logic as to why it’s good to hydrate before a long hike in trip…easier to carry the water in you than on you. As k-bob alluded to also, fishing remote streams (even when you are at the stream and fishing) is often much more hiking than fishing. At this point I actually prioritize a comfortable hiker over actual in the water traction and durability. Using my math earlier in the thread…at $3.89/month I’m willing to wear out the boots and replace them as opposed to trying to get max-life out of them by not hiking in them and carrying them in.

Back