Blue Trout

T

Troy

Hi All,
On Thursday I was fishing an unstocked limestone stream that has native brookies and wild browns. I saw a trout that appeared to have the markings of a brown trout, BUT it was blue. I first thought it was a reflection from the sun, but it continued to have this blue tint wherever it went. Did I see an infamous blue trout? If not, does anyone know what the hell I saw?

Troy

I believe the infamous blue trout are a mutation of rainbows, not browns.

Not sure what you saw.

Genetic anomolies happen, and there's plenty of colour mutations in other species that preclude certain pigments frm happening, or from happening to an exaggerated level.

Notice I didn't say anything about trout or fish, because I don't know.

I've seen a "blue trout" in the Cabela's pool. It really didn't strike me as being that different, or even that blue. Iknow there's also a type of "blue trout" up in MA or ME or somewhere up that way, but I don't know anything else without googling.

Caught a blue trout once in an unstocked stream, but he appeared to be a brookie more than anything else

Iknow there's also a type of "blue trout" up in MA or ME or somewhere up that way, but I don't know anything else without googling.

There is an article in this months Trout about the blue back. As a whole I really like this publications articles on Brook Trout.

Blueback or Sunapee trout are really Arctic char that became isolated in waterbodies in ME and NH when the last glaciers receded. I think Cabelas fish, a so called blue trout was a rainbow but can't remember to sure. I do know that some wild browns can get a slight silvery blue hue to their sides, such as some in the Beaverkill. Wild brookies in some ponds can have a bluish silver hue too.

gfen wrote:
Genetic anomolies happen, and there's plenty of colour mutations in other species that preclude certain pigments frm happening, or from happening to an exaggerated level.

Notice I didn't say anything about trout or fish, because I don't know.

I've seen a "blue trout" in the Cabela's pool. It really didn't strike me as being that different, or even that blue. Iknow there's also a type of "blue trout" up in MA or ME or somewhere up that way, but I don't know anything else without googling.

I saw a "Blue" trout once at the PFBC hatchery at Tylersville. The fellow gave me a decent tour of the outside grounds. They had three of them. They were all "Brown" trout. He told me they are rare and the color comes from a "Thyroid" condition. The fish are healthy except for this condition. He told me they do however seem to stay off by themselves as he though they sensed they were different! Pretty cool to see!

Troy

Blue Trout!!!!!!!! I want what your smoking...... PM me the details ;-)

I had never heard of a "Blue" trout until that PFBC employee showed me one. As I mentioned I saw three of them. They really do look a grayish blue color. I guess you fellas will just have to take my word for it.

WildTigerTrout,

I too have seen "blue" trout at PFBC hatcheries and all were Salmo trutta (brown trout) species; however i suspect that this color variation could manifest in other species like brook or rainbow trout but have never personally seen these.

Blue trout
http://stonycreekanglers.synthasite.com/news/blue-trout-

From what he told me it is a medical condition that develops in the thyroid gland and it is NOT restricted only to brown trout.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I saw a "Blue" trout once at the PFBC hatchery at Tylersville. The fellow gave me a decent tour of the outside grounds. They had three of them. They were all "Brown" trout. He told me they are rare and the color comes from a "Thyroid" condition. The fish are healthy except for this condition. He told me they do however seem to stay off by themselves as he though they sensed they were different! Pretty cool to see!

WildTigerTrout,
That explains a lot. I was at Fishing Creek. I should have known that some trout escape from the hatchery, but I have never caught any. Anyway, it was weird and Jeff, you saw the picture so I'm glad we both enjoyed the good stuff.

Troy

Troy, just remember that this condition can occur and does occur in "Wild" populations also. The trout you caught could very well have been a "Wild" fish. As another example "Tiger" Trout can be raised in a hatchery environment although not as succesfully as Rainbows,Browns and Brook Trout. "Tiger" Trout also occur in the wild but it is very rare and conditions have to be just right. I caught several stocked"Tigers" a few years ago in a Pa. ATW. It was nice but I knew they were hatchery fish. I have also caught two"Wild" Tiger Trout in a unstocked Pa. limestone stream. They occur in the wild and so do "Blue" Trout. They are just very rare. How many flyfishers do you know who have caught either one? I feel very fortunate to have caught those two wild Tigers and you should feel the same about your Blue Trout. Tight Lines!

I didn't catch it. I spooked him at teh bottom of the hole and just watched him for a while. It definitley was a cool site. It was in the Narrows. I can't say I didn't dangle my fly in front of his face, but needless to say, that didn't work to well.

Troy

I caught a blue back trout in Clarks(twice) a few years back, up to them I had never seen or heard of one.

PaulG

What would you call a trout that is all white with a pink stripe down the middle? I have caught 2 of them in the Lehigh a couple years back. they both were in the 7inch range. Just plain Albino's?

Albino Rainbow??

Troy, I guess I better get busy I have a "Blue" Trout to catch! Sorry to hear you did'nt catch him.

Back