best fly shops in PA?

Clousers

Yellow Breeches Outfitters

The Evening Rise

TCO

FFP

Sporting Gentleman Hands down Barry and Christine have helped me so much in getting started in fly fishing I couldn't ask for better service and advice from a Fly Shop. And they have the best selection in my area also :-D

TCO in reading has character..any place that has a picture of J. Garcia on the wall is cool in my book...
The guys at the Evening Hatch are very nice too.

jeff

govtmule wrote:
TCO in reading has character..any place that has a picture of J. Garcia on the wall is cool in my book...
The guys at the Evening Hatch are very nice too.

jeff

Maybe I have to stop in and take another look at TCO. Just my first impression.

I fish central Pa a lot, Center and Union counties. It's great to have both FFP and the Feathered Hook. Also a new shop in Laurelton called Penns Creek Angler. It's good to see a new shop when so many others are closing.

Chaz, your right about line colors. As I am getting better at casting and spooking fewer fish with my approach I am noticing that the bright lines seem to scare fish. I'm migrating to more subtle colors.

Well here's my stab at it.

FFP while I was in school and had a good friend who worked there.

Spruce Creek Fly Co.(now part of TCO) - Eric Stroup always treated me awesome.

Oil Creek Outfitters - Mike is a great guy and thats where I got the first fly rod I purchased myself.

The Contented Angler - Lower Burrell PA Amy and Joe are great people and are more interested in you than the buck they might make off of you.

To me it's always more about the people and how they treat you compared to what they have in the store (though that's important too) Good company with a fair price and I'll be a loyal customer without question.

The Evening Rise

I could be bias though, because its only a couple miles from my house.

govtmule,
I couldn't agree more about seeing Jerry Garcia on the wall at TCO. It is great walking into the shop and hearing the Grateful Dead playing. Oh, they are also very friendly and helpful too!

Troy

I'm puzzeled on why people like Jerry Garcia so much . When I think of Jerry I think about high dirty Hippies driving in a WV van going to a dead concert while thier wasting thier lives talking trash about corporations and the goverment and they don't even vote to change what they are complaining about . And I also think about those same hippies spitting on the vietnam vets when they were returning home from war. If I can say one thing about Jerry he does have character but I can't find a good part of it for anyone to like . And can someone please tell me something good about him so I can change my point of view about him ... Just my 2 cents ............ :cool:

Great thread.

#1 for me hands down is TCO in Reading. Great atmosphere, good ambiance, all the tackle needs you could ever want...and Chad does have good tunes going all the time.

Yellow Breeches has great ambiance and nice folks....ashame the stream isnt better.

Western PA...International Angler

Honorable Mention would go to AA Outfitters, and Wilderness Trekker

TCO fly shops are really nice. I have not had one problem with them at all and I have visited every one in PA. They have all the products I need with great brands that I can trust. Also Sporting Gentlemen in Media is nice.

ok IMO here they are now of course i havent been to every fly shop in pa :-D im going by service recieved and availability of supplies.

1. Slate Run Tackle Shop. best hands down.

2. TCO

3. it small but sandflys shop. while he is a small outfit his service is amazing. i stopped in there to talk to him and he gave me all kinds of info on streams and what was hatching. and guess what (as talked about in a previous thread) i didnt buy a thing. *(but then again i was pretty broke) next time im up there sandfly i promise to bring some money and get some of your great hand tied flies. maybe even a new rod :-D

4.Cold Spring Anglers

5. Evening Rise

6. Evening Hatch

7. AA Outfitters

8. Yellow Breeches Outfitters

9. Clouser's Fly Shop

10. A&G Outfitters

thats my top 10 take it for what you will :-D

Frederick,
Aren't you the same guy that said you would throw a rock at a bald eagle? That doesn't sound too American to me. Us "dirty hippies" have full time jobs and do vote. If you know anything about us hippies, voting is a big part of what we believe in. That was a very ignorant post.

Jerry Garcia never preached anything to anyone. He played music and never wanted to be an "icon" that he became. He simply was a musician and a damn good musician I might add. That is why I love Jerry Garcia. The music. Also, The Grateful Dead created various charitable organizations that are for the good of this planet and country. Before you post something so stupid, please think about it first because us deadheads are everywhere including your government!

Troy

I forgot about Sandfly's shop. I have never been there and don't know if it has character. I know it has a character!

In the southeast TCO in Reading. Good guys, good service, well stocked with quality merchandise. Close to home.
(I will make it my businees to stop into the Sporting Gentleman in Media given all the rave reviews I frequently hear)

Central PA: Fly Fisherman’s Paradise. Good guys, good service, well stocked with quality merchandise.

Northeast: A&A Outfitters. Same.

I’m not a big Jerry Garcia / Dead fan. For no other reason than I never really got into their music. Eric Clapton was/is my music idol – and he’s a fly fishing aficionado!

Troy, no offense meant, I do agree that there are many “Deadheads” in government, and many of them are not even Jerry Garcia fans!

I am not a Deadhead myself, but enjoy some of their music and I always liked Jerry. If he resented corporations and distrusted the government, that can only go to his further credit and moreover proves that drugs do not scramble one's brain too terribly. As for spitting on Vietnam Vets, I doubt Jerry or any other of the band did that. Like many of the anti-war advocates during that era, they had great sympathy for members of the armed-services even if they lacked such sympathy for those who started and maintained the conflict in which they served.

A&G OUTFITTERS
1152 Commerce Boulevard
Suite 102
Dickson City, PA 18519
ph. (570) 489-1650

Frederick,
Aren't you the same guy that said you would throw a rock at a bald eagle? That doesn't sound too American to me. Us "dirty hippies" have full time jobs and do vote. If you know anything about us hippies, voting is a big part of what we believe in. That was a very ignorant post.

Jerry Garcia never preached anything to anyone. He played music and never wanted to be an "icon" that he became. He simply was a musician and a damn good musician I might add. That is why I love Jerry Garcia. The music. Also, The Grateful Dead created various charitable organizations that are for the good of this planet and country. Before you post something so stupid, please think about it first because us deadheads are everywhere including your government!

Troy

MY REPLY

Well at least I know that they did something good but what charities did they start I never heard of one ? Yes I said I would through a rock at an eagle to save a fish life . But I never said to kill it and I should of wrote just to scare it away but I like how people jump to conclusions or write something I didn't to make thier point sound better . I never said what kind of eagle it was but I guess saying that it was a bald eagle makes me sound less american. LOL!!! I served my country and would of gave my life for it, I think that makes me american enough don't you . Troy why did hippies treat the Vietnam Vets the way they did ? What they did to the vets was pretty unamerican to me Alot more than throwing a rock at a bald eagle ,and I wouldn't be proud to call myself one . I'm not into jam band music but if you say Jerry's music was good I will believe you...... :lol: Ps I never said that Jerry was unamerican I just said Hippies were :lol:

Frederick,
I truly thank you for serving our country. Your post angered me because you just basically generalized Grateful Dead fans as dirty hippies who have contibuted nothing to this world. You would be amazed how many deadheads are in high prominent roles in our country, Al Gore for example.

The spitting on Vietnam vets wasn't right, but that wasn't Jerry Garcia doing it. Jerry really just wanted to play his guitar and the fans wanted to listen to it. The biggest charity that the Grateful Dead created was The Rex Foundation. I don't know how to post a direct link, but the website is rexfoundation.org. If you get a chance, look through it and tell me that hasn't been a positive organization for the country.

Troy

Fredrick wrote:
I'm puzzeled on why people like Jerry Garcia so much . When I think of Jerry I think about high dirty Hippies driving in a WV van going to a dead concert while thier wasting thier lives talking trash about corporations and the goverment and they don't even vote to change what they are complaining about . And I also think about those same hippies spitting on the vietnam vets when they were returning home from war. If I can say one thing about Jerry he does have character but I can't find a good part of it for anyone to like . And can someone please tell me something good about him so I can change my point of view about him ... Just my 2 cents ............ :cool:

It's the music. The recordings you hear on the radio don't really capture it. I only every went to one of their concerts. And I went because someone had a free ticket. I thought their records were OK, but I wouldn't have shelled out the bucks. But I guess I caught them on a good day. Jerry was in good form, and his improvisations on the guitar were beyond words. Some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Like a modern day Bach. Some of those old classical musicians had shaggy hair too...

Back