best fly shops in PA?

When I was in college, the groups I was a fan of were the Limeliters and the Kingston Trio, (yes I'm old,) but my favorite singer of all time is one that many have never heard of because she died before any of her recordings were produced. Her name is Eva Cassidy, and if you havent heard her, go on You Tube and look at her version of "Over the Rainbow".
As for fly shops, I like A & G Outfitters in Dickson City.

TCO - Bryn Mawr, PA...Chris, Steve & Matt are all awesome, and they havell the great goods from Simms, Patty, and Fishpond...

The Feathered Hook in Coburn Jonas is awesome great place to stop on your way to fish and also Penns Creek Angler down Rt 45 Millmont Bruce Fisher great guy nice updated website with stream conditions for Penns

On subject, as far as flyshops go it may not have the most character, or the best selection of supplies, but I've got to give Charlie over at the Sporting Lifestyle Orvis in Allentown shop his due.

I stopped in there today to pick up a reel I'd been checking out, only to find out they were out of stock. Charlie offered me a screaming deal on a different product to make up for it, coming in at only a moderate increase in my expenditure.

Service like that deserves to be noted, and I know I'll definatly be happy to patronize his shop going forward, and I just wanted to do him the favour of bringing that shop to peoples' attention here (again).

In other news, I absolutely loathe the Dead and most of the other jam bands that have sprung up in their wake.

Hate to break it to you guys, but, If you're talking about the best for tying suppiles, then the best fly-shop's in MD. 30min south of York on RT83..

http://greatfeathers.com/

1. Flyfisher's Paradise, State College (they don't get better than Steve, IMO)

2. A&G Outfitters, Dickson City (Home Town shop....great service)

3. Ron's Flies, Nickolson (Hole in the wall with a TON of materials to rummage. Ron is a great tying resource. Nice dogs, too!)

I used to go to A.A PRO shop back when bob and his son ran it on route 534 in hickory run.Bob actually taught my wife how to cast,because i ran out of patients,and she actually listened to him better,that was in the late 80's.Boy could his wife tie some flies it was sad when she passed,his son was a great guy also.They were always helpful,other than that i never really had another favorite,as i used to fish that area quite a bit back then.I also used to stop in at barry and cathy becks shop here and there back in the day they were always helpful there.My wife's grandfather had a cabin near fishing creek(berwick area).
tight lines,
Don

magician,

It sounds like you came from the same area as me, and now you also live in the SE. Bob and Mary Lou were the best. Bob taught me a lot about FF, and Mary Lou taught me about tying flies. I miss those folks. Tim Murphy and his brother were fixtures at his shop. I guess every place has a downside. ;-)

Gene at the new A&A runs a nice shop in the Poconos. In Central PA, Steve S. and the boys @ FFP can't be beat.

Afishinado,
I didn't grow up in that area,but in my late teens and most of my 20's i spent alot of time up there fishing.Bob also taught me alot,when his wife passed he took all of the flies she tied off the shelves,and kept them for himself,he told me she was a much better tyer than he.A friend of charlie mecks built my 2nd rod a 4 weight sage 490 rpl.I have been using it for 18 years now,i love that rod and will never part with it.I spent alot of time in that shop talking and learning from bob and his son,great people.
tight lines,
Don

Back