Beginners- what were'nt you told?

acristic: right on --- i try to learn something new EVERY time i am on the water -- i have recently accepted that im not going to know everything about the sport in my first few years of fishing and since accepting that i have actually learned ALOT more about everything and pieces are starting to fit in the puzzle

take the pressure off = learn more

Dont forget to laugh at your friends when they fall in or make sure you notice when they get their rig in a tree. HAHA

Nothing better than thinking your doing ok and get hooked up in a tree and realize there was someone 20 yards away watching you reach up in a tree to try fight the tree and river to get your rig back. Dummy.

What really makes this funny is it happens to everyone. Just timing really.

Good stuff Akid,

I always try to learn something new every time out, and I always like to try out new/different things when fishing. Also, I've learned a lot more on days when the fishing was tough rather than when they were jumping on my fly on every cast.

I wish that someone had explained to me that pancakes may be energy food but steak and eggs stick to your ribs better.
For years I had a stack of pancakes when I was going fishing-I would be hungry by the time I got to the river and start eating my candybars.Then I stopped at a diner one morning and had steak and eggs-what a difference.
In the old days we had books that were really informative so those that could read were way ahead of those who assumed they were born gifted.

"Dont forget to laugh at your friends when they fall in or make sure you notice when they get their rig in a tree. HAHA"

me and my buddy have a special term for this situation.....if were on a brookie stream we just quietly lean over and whisper "thats embarassing" but if we are on a stockie stream with a group of guys its more like "NOW THAT IS EMBARASSING!"

ya i wish someone would have told me that if you hang your fly up in a hemlock tree, to just admit defeat and walk over and retrieve it by hand. flies will not come out of a hemlock tree....

No one me told that there's so much water and so little time.

pete: I have the same problem! I always go fishing and it seems to always be about an hour after I eat. I always just tell myself "you just ate, you wont be hungry" -- but it never fails, as soon as I get on the stream, the fresh air and walking around just makes me hungry right away. I will learn one of these days.

Akid.......that statement "trying to learn something everytime" is great , really , no matter how long you've been doing it , or how good we think we are if you keep that statement in mind you never quit learning and it is more fun to figure something out than to have it shown to you........GOOD ONE A.

"however, thats why I love dry flys so much, no weight"
You are right Ernie-
oh-sorry,thought you meant the fish you caught on them
Just out of curiosity-how much do those 22 &24" people have been reporting caught on dries, weigh?

Pete: i'm just lazy -- i like just tying on a dry fly and not worrying about anything else. It gets tedios when I'm doing a nymph/dropper/thing-a-ma-bobber/ weight --- then what happens after 20-30 minutes after I havent caught anything :0 - haha

I was trolling-lol see if I could get a rise.

I still opt for a good lesson. There is a difference on how I approach them though. I listen to a bunch of people give me all sorts of free advice. (PLEASE No one take offense because some of the free advice was priceless!!!!) I work on what ever I think I need help with for awhile but once I've got a load of questions, I go take a lesson. Believe it or not it's not a fast or easy way out, it's a way for me to connect the dots more effectively, which I believe is the goal of most. I don't have to do things exactly as taught, no instructor ever said I did. I still do it my way. Sometimes my way really sucks, sometimes it works kinda good for me. I think a balance between the two is a good thing. I'm still not amazing so it's not the only thing. Practice does add allot to the equation either way, but this is the thing I think about the most. I can practice it wrong or practice it right. Correct by my terms for just now is a speculation that I chose to use later. I do use a ton of artistic freedom when I've hooked too many trees and lost too many fish. :evil:

I wasn't told the stress this hobby would put on my marriage.

That the best bug times of the year would coincide with my 2 boys baseball season for which I get roped into coaching each year.

my brother can do the same thing rolf's wife does also he will fish something totally different and huge as far as drys go and still catch fish it boggles me example on bobs creek a size 18 blue quill hatch was goign on so he was fishing a size 10 irresistable and catching fish he was catching fish on his backcast it was so that the worm dunkers all left he also like red and white flies it just boggles me and here i am matching the hatch and barely getting any action i must be a better teacher than a fisherman... lol

dasofas wrote:
I wasn't told the stress this hobby would put on my marriage.

I'm at the other end, my husband thinks it's my excuse to meet a secret boyfriend. I cured him by taking him with me and inviting me everytime I went. Also by getting home early enough to shower up put on some lipstick and take him to dinner. You may want to skip the lipstick part. He now looks forward to dinner out and I get to fish.

I've only been Fly fishing for a few monthes but i kinda wish someone would have told me that trout a much harder to catch then bass....LOL. and creek chubs will eat damn near anything....LOL

Got some more.......LOL!

You will catch more trees than trout at first!

You will catch yourself more often the trout at first!

Just because you can see the trout does not mean you will catch it!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!

Most of all.......Snap the wrist on the cast! PaulG showed me this and it made all the difference in the world!!

i wish when i was learning to cast someone would have told me you can cast over things such as trees and rocks and fish the water on the other side. i used to spend fishing time planing a route of access to a spot of water to end up spooking the fish on the other side or droping half my gear in the creek . now i know just to cast like they are nonexistant and keep the tip up

Back