Beginners- what were'nt you told?

I once got a fly caught in a tree on my backcast and when I turned around, this is what I saw...... :-D

tree.jpg

Heritage-Angler wrote:
I once got a fly caught in a tree on my backcast and when I turned around, this is what I saw...... :-D

ONCE? Just ONCE? I do that a few times each trip? Or is that a Pennsylvania Dutch "once". :lol: :lol:

Good one! I always have to laugh at the Dutchy version - "avunst".

I lose more flies to stuff on my backcast than to anything else. Once (avunst) I get focused on whats in front of me, I too often forget the stuff in back. The most bizarre "thing" I've ever hooked on the backcast was a really cute girl jogging down at the Little Lehigh. Luckily, it just caught sports bra and not skin! :-o

I've caught all teh normal things...my dad like to tell the story if the time caught a swallow...in Bruneau canyon in Idaho.

My grandfather followed every request with "wonst".
"Tommy, bring that here wonst." they lived in Ephrata

Afish, tall grass is amongst the worst. Yeah, it seems like one frickin blade will suck in any cast within 10 feet. Then you actually tear off the whole blade from the ground, but no, its not done yet. Taking the thing off your fly turns tricky because it just keeps tearing, and you end up with a smaller and smaller green thing on your hook.

Thats a great picture of a tree giving the one finger salute. Does feel like that sometimes, doesn't it?

The weirdest thing I ever hooked was a golden retriever. I had seen him earlier, he came down over the hill and wasn't with anybody. He was friendly so I petted him a few times and asked him where his master was, no collar and a tail wag was his only answer. He wondered back up the hill, I figured the owner was up there, so I went about my business thinking he was gone. On one of my backcasts I heard a yelp. Got him good too, I felt so bad, thank god for barbless hooks. No collar, so I never did find or tell the owner, I hope whoever lost that dog found it and there were no permanent injuries from my fly.

I think that what beginners weren't told is that almost everyone sucks when they first get started. Some blaze by you, like on wings like my son did. The thing I like the most about this sport, should you refer to it as that, is the willingness of others to share information. What's better is it that information is left to interpret. No matter who tells you what you are free to change it up! And that is the best! You can take what you learned and make it your own.

You should have taken him home. Despite vacuuming it is a small price to pay for such a wonderful dog. Goldens are my most favorite but make horrible fishing buddies because they like water almost as much as fish!

Well, as someone who has been fly-fishing for a couple years, but still considers himself a beginner - I would say:

I wish that someone would have sat me down and really explained to me the connections between all the things that go into preparing and then actually doing the act of fly fishing

the correct way to attach tippet

which size fly to fish and why

and as weird as it sounds: a good tool to finding better streams and some hints on streams around my area -- although I am hoping that this site will help me with that!

Weirdest thing I ever got caught on was my girlfriends shoulder. Had to take her to the hospital to have hook removed. This was pre fly fishing for me and I was useing a 6" bass plug with barbed treble hooks....rusty too! she was not amused, rangers kept shakin' their heads, doctor made a "one that got away joke".

ErnieBall wrote:
Well, as someone who has been fly-fishing for a couple years, but still considers himself a beginner - I would say:

I wish that someone would have sat me down and really explained to me the connections between all the things that go into preparing and then actually doing the act of fly fishing

and as weird as it sounds: a good tool to finding better streams and some hints on streams around my area -- although I am hoping that this site will help me with that!

That is an excellent point. That was my weak link and still is because I had so many people help me by tying my knots but not teach me. My son finally cut me off and showed me what to do as far as knots and when I forgot he pretty much said "Too Bad" you should have practiced. I at least figured out what to do without him doing it for me all the time. I don't think that's your case but the right teacher for the right person does make a difference. Don't be afraid to ask your local fly fishing shop for help.

It's never too late for a lesson, no matter how old or how long you've been fly fishing. You don't always have to pay but if you ask for help think of one thing and accomplish it before getting in too deep. Over Zealous teachers of the craft don't seem to help me any better than someone that gives me confidence in one area.

Best of luck with your learning curve, mine almost has an orbit of it's own.

ErnieBall wrote:

I'm gonna take a different angle on this than wetnet did. I was kind of grateful that no one tried to explain all those thing ahead of time and that I was left to kind of figure them out for myself. All one has to do is read this board and see all the different points of view any single subject or technique. I'm glad I was able to form my own theories and observations (as correct or incorrect they may have initially been) on how things work. Then later to get input from many different directions.

The only thing that some one could have told me when I got into all this (not that it would have made any difference what so ever) was that I would never have enough time to enjoy this as much as I do...

I agree with what you're saying but I think you think. Think!, Think!, Think!

I hate grammer issues where you have to "THINk" of different words for "Think"

You over estimate what I know or knew and what I was taught. My son's the fly fisherman, not me. If you have ever had a family member learning a brain over load of information and even expect a polite tidbit passed your way don't count on it. I watched a TON, but given the pressure of tryouts and him trying to make the team, I pretty much stayed quiet. I did have him teach me some basic knots over the winter, which I kept forgetting and being a girl got lots of knots tied for me due to impatience. I hope that makes it clearer. He did at one point say "Tie your own knots!" It was either don't fish or tie knots. I'm not ancient but my vision makes it hard to see up close with my contacts in and he still said that I needed to figure it out. My hands aren't steady and if I drink too much caffeine they shake. He said don't drink coffee. Guess what? I can tie on a fly blind after coffee. Not pretty but it can be done. I guess that was my point just didn't want myself to sound that bad.

He can tie a fly on in less than 5 seconds. That's been of my measuring stick. So glad you all are here!! :)

I agree with Tom, instruction and lessons are great, but I seem to learn the most, and more importantly enjoy learning from trying and discovering things for myself. The main thing I have learned, that there are many ways to catch a fish, and no way is really “right”. Think of this, if you learned from Joe Humphries, for example, you would believe that his method of nymphing with no indy and a bunch of lead shot fished upstream on a tight line, etc., is the only way to catch fish – he scolds anyone for using an indicator. Yet in reality, there are many other ways to catch fish with and without an indicator. BTW, I think Joe H. is one the best fly fishers / teachers in our sport, I just used him as an example since he is one of the most well known teachers.

Like Tom, I love to hear the ideas and “discoveries” made by others on this board and elsewhere, including the authors of the many articles and books I read. I love to try different things and learn different methods, equipment, rigs, or flies. Each has a time and a place, and it’s up to you to try to pick the best plan of attack based on your experience. When you reach a certain stage of your fly-fishing, you may begin to fish with the method you prefer, or the method that is the most difficult, rather than the way that might be best for the stream conditions and hatch – just for the FUN of it.

I follow Afish's line of thought pretty closely. One of my biggest problems is that I'm too hesitant to change my plan. Now, I'll have a different plan for each day, depending on conditions. For instance, if its up and brown after a rain I want to fish streamers, if I'm in pocket water I want to nymph Joe Humphrey's style, if I'm on a brookie stream I want to fish a dry upstream, and if a hatch is expected I got the dry fly leader and fly tied on way before the hatch starts, and dang it I'm gonna tough it out until it starts working. I'm a slave to my original plan, but you catch more fish if you go in with no plan and see where the day takes you.

Another one is specific to nymphing. I get lazy and don't adjust weight nearly enough. Sure, if I come to a deep, fast pool I'll add another shot, and take one off in flat water, but thats not nearly enough. You should be changing weight almost constantly.

pcray1231 wrote:
I follow Afish's line of thought pretty closely. One of my biggest problems is that I'm too hesitant to change my plan. Now, I'll have a different plan for each day, depending on conditions. For instance, if its up and brown after a rain I want to fish streamers, if I'm in pocket water I want to nymph Joe Humphrey's style, if I'm on a brookie stream I want to fish a dry upstream, and if a hatch is expected I got the dry fly leader and fly tied on way before the hatch starts, and dang it I'm gonna tough it out until it starts working. I'm a slave to my original plan, but you catch more fish if you go in with no plan and see where the day takes you.

Another one is specific to nymphing. I get lazy and don't adjust weight nearly enough. Sure, if I come to a deep, fast pool I'll add another shot, and take one off in flat water, but thats not nearly enough. You should be changing weight almost constantly.

I totally agree with the weight thing -- sometimes I find myself too lazy to add some more weight, or take some weight off, and on the days when I do this religiously, I find that it really makes a difference - however, thats why I love dry flys so much, no weight :)

"Brook Trout are God’s way of reminding us everything is going to be alright."

Rolf: Amen

Best words I have read in a while

As a self taught FFer who learned from magazines and books from the library I too was also able to enjoy the trial and error stage. I do tell new fly fishermen a couple basic pointers I regard as important:

- Learn to tie a couple knots, including the blood knot, effectively. This will save time on the water as every beginner gets tangled up a lot and it's easier to cut and re-tie than try to untangle a bird's nest.

-Practice casting in the backyard. This is fun and easy and pays off on the water.

-Don't associate FFing exclusively with trout. Too many new FFers start out chasing trout only. If you're a newbie fishing Slate Run or Falling Springs you might have some luck but odds are tough. Bass and sunfish are often much easier to catch and closer to home. I'm still amazed at the FFers who live near ponds and warm water rivers who spend all year looking forward to the few trout trips they have time for and can afford. If you don't live around trout, fly fish for something else!

Fishidiot wrote:
As a self taught FFer who learned from magazines and books from the library I too was also able to enjoy the trial and error stage. I do tell new fly fishermen a couple basic pointers I regard as important:

- Learn to tie a couple knots, including the blood knot, effectively. This will save time on the water as every beginner gets tangled up a lot and it's easier to cut and re-tie than try to untangle a bird's nest.

-Practice casting in the backyard. This is fun and easy and pays off on the water.

-Don't associate FFing exclusively with trout. Too many new FFers start out chasing trout only. If you're a newbie fishing Slate Run or Falling Springs you might have some luck but odds are tough. Bass and sunfish are often much easier to catch and closer to home. I'm still amazed at the FFers who live near ponds and warm water rivers who spend all year looking forward to the few trout trips they have time for and can afford. If you don't live around trout, fly fish for something else!

good advice right there -- especially about the knots

I just thought of something else and wanted to re-up this thread:

heres something I wish someone would have told me before I ever picked up a rod and dove head first into this very confusing sport (at times)

ahem..

"hey , listen....there are 3 or 4 bug types that are on the water there --- there are a lot of bugs under each of those categories...but by having a fly of an "attractor pattern" of each of those species, you can catch fish all the time, - you dont need to have every pattern and memorize every bug on the stream right away"

THATs what i wish someone would have told me -- you can realistically fish with 10 flys (types of flies, not actual flies haha) all summer long and do well.

For me- even though fishing might blow or be real tough on a particular day I try to learn something. Maybe it is a certain flow or tree blooming at the time of a certain bug emergence. Might be how the fish might hold in high water - or what they don't do in bright sun light. etc..etc...

Haved learned a good deal when I miss strikes- hey at least the fish was gonna take it and I messed up the hookset- maybe hooksets is what you learn- even though you did'nt end up landed anything.

I have been fly fishing for a few years- but it is still exciting for me because I never know what will happen (mainly because of a lack of expereince). Also, I bounce around to many different streams- since a decent one is at least 90 minutes away I try to learn as much as possible. I think that type of fishing is good and bad because it may force you to use different methods your not used to on your home stream- good because you dont always rely on what works on your home stream.

Think of fly fishing as something that going to take years more to understand better. Not to mention how the weather/flows change every year to that impact fishing and hatches.

For most newer folks to flyfishing- who expect to show up at a new stream for the first time (say Spring Creek for example) and expecting to do well- I think is a bit agressive with expectations.

Hey- I understand everyone wants and expects to catch fish but sometimes it might be better to walk away just knowing you learned something. I know it brought me back to the stream.

My progression: learn some, fish- skunking, maybe another skunking, a fish, maybe a couple more fish, maybe take one with a dry etc...

Guess I really mean that there can be more to success as a beginner fly fisher than actually catching fish. Sometimes just recognizing what you did wrong can be success. Like not trying to cast near overhanging tress with your newly tied rig. hehe

Back