Bald Eagle

L

LouM

Yesterday a bald Eagle was perched in a tree at my house from before noon till dark. He was gone this morning. Called game comm. they said he was probably disoriented an would leave once he got his bearings

If you have a Yorkie, he may have been waiting for you to let the dog out to poop.

I had been seeing them often this year. The other day I saw a pair of them in a freshly cut bean field.

I always wonder how many people don't notice things like that.

No yorkie but a dauchshund (sp).

Last week I observed a small songbird (I could not identify) sitting on a branch very closely to a doe. It was very close (like 1 foot away) to the deer which caught my eye. I watched the bird for a minute or so. At first I saw landing on the deer's back, as I continued to watch, I saw the bird fly right on to the birds nose and pick off bugs. It would fly back to the nearby branch after every time it picked a bug off. The deer seemed to be unfazed. I watched the bird fly right at the eyes a pick off some more bugs off the deer's eyelashes. I can't believe the deer didn't rear back at least once. Pretty neat.

I've never seen a wild eagle and I am kind of jealous. I'd really like to see one.

FD,

I always notice cut bean fields

The numbers of eagles has greatly increased in recent years. At least in central and northern PA.

Some good places to see them:

There is a nest at the Lamar fish hatchery.

There is a nest at Fishermans Paradise, on the ridge above the hatchery.

There are a couple of nests in the Pine Creek valley and it is common to see them flying there.

With the ticks being so bad this year I have seen birds picking them off of deer up here too. deer ticks are really bad this year.

hey Lou I think henry painted a crow and released it at your house---lol
are you sure you saw one you know you are on some powerful meds...

Lots of eagles here...

I see Eagles a lot down here. I also see them when I'm in MD and I've seen them in Pocono a few times while brook trout fishing. I always get the same excited feeling whenever I happen to see one.

I've found eagle feathers while trout fishing this year but never picked them up. It's still a crime to have them in possesion. So I just leave the feathers be. I hate that law but you never know if your going to be checked on the way out of the woods and if you might be searched.

A friend and I were headed in to town and saw one in a field near a busy intersection. I quickly pulled over and we jumped out to take pictures. Others noticed what we were doing and they stopped. The intersection came to a stand still as people began to pull over and get out of their vehicles. The bald eagle was quite a sight to see but what really struck me were the people who stopped. People were talking to complete strangers...all smiles, forgetting about their hurried drive home...One of those America moments you don't see to often anymore!

Merica!

If it was a Dashshund...the animal breed to hunt honey badger (al a they don't give a sh*t) the eagle would not have been perched in the tree...and proceeded directly to a freshly cut bean field. Beans offer lots of protien, too!

I'm seeing many more in SCPA in recent years including in areas with only small creeks, like right here in Gettysburg. Up on the Susky and Juniata, they're something you pretty much expect to see every time you're out these days.
It's still a thrill.

This is the first year I have seen them in Bucks County. Once near Washington's Crossing and once at Core Creek. Pretty cool IMO.

In the early 80s there was 3 nesting pairs of eagles in Pennsylvania. In July of this year the PA Game Commission stated that there are now 252 known nesting pairs of eagles in PA. The return of the eagle has been a great success story for the game commission who started a restoration program in 1983.

FCP

I've got a nesting pair near me, which is on a state game lands. very cool to go for a walk and check them out, never get tired of seeing them.
I also see them a lot along penns near weikert, they like to steal fish from the ospreys, which I heard are better fishers than the eagles, I've seen many eagles following the ospreys, so maybe maybe it's true!

I've seen a nest someone else told me was an eagles nest on a farm around core creek. I've never seen a bird in it. Its a huge nest although its hard to really estimate the size because of the distance from the road.

LOL! Funny guys. But hopefully I didn't really need to splain to the city folk that fresh cut fields tend to have freshly exposed rodents in them.

Picture taken from my back yard of an eagle eating a muskrat. Taken with a cheap camera which has since been replaced.

And no, it is not a turkey with a sock over it's head.

Attachments

• 100_0407 resized.JPG
    100_0407 resized.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 2
Bald Eagles are becoming a fairly common sighting here in Lancaster County. There have been quite a few active nests around the County for a number of years. The Susquehanna River and its tributaries as they meander through the agricultural land seem to be preferred habitat for them. I have also seen them in great numbers this summer while working down in the Delmarva Peninsula. I have observed 10-15 Eagles at one time feeding on the chicken parts that they spread over their fields down there. Here is a picture of a Bald Eagle nest located along one of my favorite WW beats in Lancaster County. This nest is approximately 45-50' high in the top of a huge sycamore tree. The diameter of the sycamore probably pushes 30". I miss not being able to wade this section in the early part of the WW season because the PA Game Commission has the area posted with "Entry Prohibited" signs to minimize disturbance to the Eagles as the young are fledging. As I said earlier it is not uncommon for me to spot one soaring around my house much like you would see a buzzard. They are really neat to see.

Attachments

• Eagle Nest.jpg
    Eagle Nest.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2
There is a nesting pair at Tobyhanna in he state game lands off of 423. Neat to watch them when you are out fishing.

Back