Bald Eagle

I saw one on Big Spring two weeks ago in the improvement section. Also see atleast one everytime I fish the Conewago. It really is amazing seeing them in the wild.

We are seeing more and more of them around Chambersburg. They are on the Falling Springs and many of the other streams in the area.

Mike

I've seen 3 at Lake Arthur, 2 adults and an adolescent. Had 1 fly up the river and land in a tree while we were floating at the Catskill Jam. Also saw 1 on Rte 28 near Harmarville

There is also one at the Heritage stretch of the LLH along with a juvenile Osprey.

On the way home to York after fishing Muddy Creek. Saw a lone Bald Eagle cruising across a cut corn field in Delta Area. Thought it was kind of strange.

There is a nest on a transmission tower right below the dam at Holtwood I believe. I work near there a few time a year and they're always there. I believe they have a webcam on the best so you can even watch them.

LouM wrote:
Yesterday a bald Eagle was perched in a tree at my house from before noon till dark. He was gone this morning. Called game comm. they said he was probably disoriented an would leave once he got his bearings
Disoriented from what? Hogwash!

That's a pretty lame answer, migratory birds make stops every day on their way to winter feeding areas. There are bald eagle nesting pairs all over PA, over 200 of them, most don't migrate or if they do they don't go far.

That said, many just go somewhere that is close to or on a body of water that will not freeze over the winter.My guess is that it was a local bird and it was simply restng after having a meal. Next time you see a disoriented BE, let me know I'll set you straight.

From now until late February look for BE's long our large rivers, place to explore are anywhere near a power plant, large dams Conawingo is a good place, there have been bald eagles winter there since the late 70's, Pine Creek Valley, and alongthe Delaware Bay from Philly to Lewes DE. and south. Along the Jersey Coast too.

Also in some areas you will see an occasional Golden Eagle, they are all dark and only young birds have white at the base of the tail. look for the golden feather on the nape of the nect and on the head.
From now until about December 1you can also see eagles at Hawk mountain and other hawk watch sites in PA, especially when there is a northwest wind following a cold front.

you can also watch a pair on Green Lane Reservoir

Or...you can come to the Dauphin narrows and see 150 turkey vultures this time of year. They are ugly sum bitches too.

There was one living in Wissahickon, in Philadelphia.

Also there are a few around Lake wallenpaupack. A few years ago there was a nest on one of the islands. The whole island was closed to any foot traffic for a few months.

I'm feeling left out. I may need to travel somewhere this weekend.

Back