at what point do u trust someone.

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
giving anyone mis-information is worse than giving none at all. i understand the fact that no-one wants to drive a distance and find no trout. happens to me all the time. but to give mis-information breeds distrust and the next time you want info they are likely to do the same. no one says u have to give info at all.

We now have the two end members - the honest guy that will tell you exactly where to park, give directions to the brook and tell what to use. And the liar that will purposely mislead you with exaggerations, misinformation and deception. I admire the former and despise the later. Most of us fall somewhere in between.

There’s a lot of good information on the internet but there’s a lot of bad info too. Sorting it out can be a challenge. The notion that beer-drinking, bait-fishing slobs are lurking on this site to find out where the tricos are hatching is absurd. If they are that internet savvy, they’ve probably already found out about the natural reproduction list, wilderness trout streams and the class A list. They may even have surmised the ATW list has a bunch of tributaries with trout. Lord help us if they found topozone or google maps. My friggin house is on the internet! The car is in the driveway.

Personally, I’m torn between promoting the fishing and keeping it secret. It’s a tuff call, but the future may depend on it.

As an infrequent poster, I really appreciate all of the info freely given. After posting last fall asking some specific questions about some small feeders in NE pa (after researching DeLormes) and Chad pm'd me to help zero in on some likely spots. I was fishing with my 10 yr old son, and just wanted to us catch a couple brookies for him to see.
We had a mixed bag that day. Spent some time lost, spent some time just scouting trying to figure out if we were where we thought we were on the map, found the water too low at some locations, and then finally found a few small brookies. It isn't always about the fishing, but the experience. (I know spoken by someone how doesn't catch much!) Made us appreciate those little brookies all the more.
I would like to think that most of those posting questions about locations on this site don't want to be spoon fed, rather just want to know we are on the right track.

Here are my views on this in a nutshell. I don't like to be spoon fed; therefore, I don't spoon feed. I don't give misinformation either. That is just plain dishonest. I might not steer a stranger to one of my favorite spots, but i won't steer anyone to a bad spot either.

Here is the way I look at it. If I decide to answer a question, the answer will fit the question. I answer the same way that I would expect to be answered. I answer vague questions with vague answers, and I'll answer specific questions with specific answers.

Back