Anyone use xink? (liquid Fly sink)

Lol...Man i don't want to catch a fish that bad.

Went out for about three hours today and got a bite! I caught a Sunny!

I stalked trout all day. I would sneak up behind them say twenty or thirty feet back and watch them feed. I took careful notice of where they were positioned relative to the surroundings. I threw everything at them nymphs, wooly buggers, bead heads, you name it. They would run up and look at it but no takers. Very frustrating. But at least i caught a Sunny. I met another fly guy named Jim who seemed to have a every possible hatch in his fly boxes. Really knowledgable guy gave me a few flies (Which i tried with no success on the way out) and some great insight on the water. I told him about the site and he said he checked it out before but hadn't been on in quite sometime.

Yotrout wrote:
I would sneak up behind them say twenty or thirty feet back...I threw everything...They would run up and look at it but no takers.

Because something alarmed them at the last moment.

The easiest answer? Drag. Just enough that a creature who lives in the water and is attuned to it knows something is wrong, even though it looks just fine to you.

If they looked at your first offering, and skipped it, move closer, wait a few, then try it again.

Ok, Im a student pilot so i have a firm grasp on drag in the air, but i am completely lost on how to put 2 and 2 together here. I am assuming it has something to do with the way the fly mimics its natural counterpart or are the fish being spooked variations in the water surrounding them as my line travels through it?

If you just drop something into the water, it'll bumble along in the current, completely at the mercy there of.

If you drop something in the water with 30' of fishing line attached to it, it'll just bumble along in the current for a foot or so until some portion of that 30' of line gets caught upin some current and starts making that little thing act all unnatural, that would b in any way that's not essentially at the mercy of the water's flow.

Someone could come along and argue that things swim, and they're right, but don't get hung up on nuances. They call it "dead drift" for a reason.

gfen wrote:

Someone could come along and argue that things swim, and they're right, but don't get hung up on nuances. They call it "dead drift" for a reason.

Ya but Isonycia swim rapidly to the bank and stripping them . . . .

Seriously, pretty boy is right here. It's all about the drag (and micro drag). Forget casting, forget the fly box of every fly that's every hatched, forget about WF4DTGPX2000, forget about your dream app. Learn to make your crap look like it is floating naturally in the water. Hell, stop being fancy. Throw some tiny bits of bread out of the water. Watch how it floats. See how it goes the same speed as all the really cool bubbles? See those bubbles? Ya, that around where you want to be. Your flies, both surface and subsurface need to flowing at the speed of bugs in that given section of the water column. Once you have done that you can pretty much put bits of feather and dubbing on a hook and catch fish. You will begin to see how much the pattern really doesn't matter. Be the bug . . . . be the bug . . . .

PS, you missed the golden opportunity of a life time to become a master in hours. Today I again went and made a master of a newbie. I can't plan these things for weeks out. I am sporadic. I get the urge to fish and do it.

More PS, did above sound like Jerry? I know rough but seriously, seemed like a solid diatribe.

Let me know and ill be there.

So putting both of the last two posts together would equal = The trout didnt bite because my fly didn't look naturally occuring enough? I have been putting that xink on my flys. Also, i just read in another post somewhere i am suppose to have as little fly line out as possible? I have been laying out a ton of fly line and letting it run.

Dammit! I Just ordered my WF4DTGPX2000.

You're obsessed with Xink. Its nothing special. Its simply a way to make your fly saturated with water quicker, period, the end of discussion finis.

All line creates drag, and it doesn't take much (aka, "micro drag") to make the fish think, "not right" and skip your offering. Those epic drifts you thought you were doing sucked, and were preventing you from catching fish.

That knowledge won't stop you trying to perform epic drifts, though. I still do them, too.

Anyways, mending. You heard the term? Its how you chain together short drifts to make long drifts. By flipping the line in and out of current seams, it helps keep your fly in the zone.

There's also the short line concept, which is dragging hunks of lead with hooks in 'em across the bottom with barely any line out, and a direct, solid, connection from hand-to-rod-to-line-to-leaden-fly.

And Jdaddy is right, I am pretty.

Ok. Screw the xink. Ill use it on the kids in the pool when there acting up.

LOL "epic drifts" thats exactly what is going through my head when im doing it.

"If i let this line run out for a mile or so im bound to catch a fish"

Ouch....i though mending was the manner in which you kept your line taught. Gotta read up on that.

Still confused about drag/micro drag. Gotta read up on that one too.
:(

You can be pretty or you can be ugly but either way your pretty ugly.

Thats the presentation part which is probably the most important of all. Good luck watch others and practice.

I read up on mending the line and now i understand why....Dammit it's going to rain i wanted to practice this today. It makes perfect sense, the trout see my fly zipping by everything else in the water and know somethings wrong. I sort of killed two birds with one stone while reading up on mending. You mend to counteract the effects of drag.

Back