Anyone use xink? (liquid Fly sink)

You stated it left a milky substance on the water? I didn't notice that as i applied it to a fly the evening before i went. Would i be safe to assume the chemical would turn the trout off to the fly?

Just had a thought....Adding split shot will increase my chances of getting snagged up on the bottom. This will increase my need for leaders. Leaders are expensive.

Is this just the nature of the beast or is there a workaround?

Yotrout wrote:
Just had a thought....Adding split shot will increase my chances of getting snagged up on the bottom. This will increase my need for leaders. Leaders are expensive.

Is this just the nature of the beast or is there a workaround?

You should not be using an extruded tapered leader for nymphing. Additionally, you should be adding adequate amounts of tippet to leaders in that you are breaking off/replacing tippet not leaders.

If you are not ticking bottom you are likely not doing it right.

jdaddy wrote:
If you are not ticking bottom you are likely not doing it right.

I don't nymph well, but this is still a fact I remember.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stuff warding off fish, chances are the bulk of it has washed off by the second or fourth time you've used it anyways, its already done its job. It broke the meniscus around the fly, and it sank and saturated.

Furthermore, tasting something nasty will have the same effect as the fish noticing it just put something very hard and unyielding in its mouth, it spits it out.

As to the Xink . . . . people are buying stuff to make nymphs sink mo bedda? Just hold it under water and squeeeeeeeze it.

it should assist in working water INTO the fibers of the body of the fly, as well.

That said, the bottle I bought a year and a half ago is somewhere in a cabinet, its unneeded. Between rubbing it in the mud and a little tungsten putty, its superfluous.

How high up away from the fly should i place the shot? I am guessing this is all relative to the depth i am trying to acheive or is there a standard?

Seriously or is that a random number? FYI...Im pretty gullible right now being as i haven't caught a fish while flying yet. You could say 23 feet and id believe you. :-D

Sounds legit enough for me.

As soon as i read that post i walked into my garage and measured 8.5" and applied the shot for tomorrow morning. At this point you could tell me to fish naked and id give it a shot.

Yo - Something to consider...

When you're fishing with shot and an indicator, the shot has to move before the indicator can do its job. The further away from the shot the fly is, the more time it can take before that slack is taken up, and can move the shot (and then the indicator).

In the current, the fly is lighter than the shot, and may actually be downstream of the shot. Keeping the distance from the fly to the shot shorter, allows quicker detection of a strike.

Keeping the shot 6 to 8 inches away from the fly is a good compromise between quick detection, and a natural looking drift.

well said H-A as for the milky stuff after your fly has been in the water pull it out and squeeze it you will see the milky stuff im talking about i currently dont use xink anymore as i feel its a waste i have moved on to weighted flies and shot or both

check this link out

i hope this helps and not confuses you

I try to keep it simple. But this is how I arrived at 8.5".

Enjoy.

Attachments

• splitshotequation2.jpg
    splitshotequation2.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 6
flipnfly wrote:

check this link out

i hope this helps and not confuses you

That's a good link but he is off .5" on his lead placement for deep water nymphing.

Lol. Texas instruments has got nothing on jdaddy.

Went out again this morning and not a bite. Four casts in a row with split shot lead to four snags in a row. Lost my favorite nymph. The beauty of not catching fish is the time spent pondering why im not catching any fish. I came up with what I believe is a pretty valid question. I read somewhere that trout feed from the bottom 80% of the time. Wouldn't that mean split shot is a must have all the time in moving water using a wet fly? I also made a decision today. If I don't catch a trout this week, I am going to find the Mr. Miyagi or Obi Wan of fly fishing to teach me. I plan on joining the Montgomery county chapter of Tu but I'm joining to assist in conservation efforts moreso than to get free lessons. Any guides out there operating on the cheap or possibly do group rates?

Yotrout wrote:
I am going to find the Mr. Miyagi or Obi Wan of fly fishing to teach me.

I think you can find Old Lefty up in Jersey Shore, but he has yet to be knighted like Sir Alec Guinness.

But seriously, weight takes flies down. Wet flies don't get the same sort of treatment because they haven't been run through the Moulan Rouge Hype Machine, going into it with long, flowing quill wings and delicately wrapped bodies and being shat out as Czech nymphs which consist of lead wrapped over lead, then with a finishing touch of lead.

See, this this is timeless:
IMGP4038.jpg

But this, this is...
5517801568_764ef1d588.jpg

...Well, probably effective. But whatever.

They're also fished differently.

If you're getting snagged and hung, you probably have TOO MUCH weight.

Nymphs generally just meander along, whereas wet flies are sort of assumed to gracefully glide along the water. Wet flies would be very effective weighted down at the bottom as well, however.

The reason you hear that 80% number tossed around is because generally speaking, fish are lazy. They're also paranoid. The most comfortable place to hang aorund and not expend energy is on the bottom, behind or in front of some structure. It also puts you the furthest out of reach of surface predators.

Anyways, there's no sense to any of this, peel off some of that lead and try again.

Yotrout wrote:
Lol. Texas instruments has got nothing on jdaddy.

Went out again this morning and not a bite. Four casts in a row with split shot lead to four snags in a row. Lost my favorite nymph. The beauty of not catching fish is the time spent pondering why im not catching any fish. I came up with what I believe is a pretty valid question. I read somewhere that trout feed from the bottom 80% of the time. Wouldn't that mean split shot is a must have all the time in moving water using a wet fly? I also made a decision today. If I don't catch a trout this week, I am going to find the Mr. Miyagi or Obi Wan of fly fishing to teach me. I plan on joining the Montgomery county chapter of Tu but I'm joining to assist in conservation efforts moreso than to get free lessons. Any guides out there operating on the cheap or possibly do group rates?

If you want to catch trout today (Sunday) send me an email.

Jdaddy...Sorry i didn't see your post till late i definetly would have taken you up on your offer.

Your offer seemed very godfatherish though. You could literally ask someone if they want to make a couple grand in the same context.

I.e. If you want to make three thousand dollars today (Sunday) send me an email.

Next time maybe you should send a girl some flowers first. You didn't even offer me dinner afterwards. Gentleman my ***.

Pm when your heading out again and ill free up my schedule and lock my kids in the garage.

Yotrout wrote:
Next time maybe you should send a girl some flowers first. You didn't even offer me dinner afterwards. Gentleman my ***.

Yes, yes that was his plan, indeed. Gentleman your ***.

Back