Any advice for fishing size 30's?

I'm glad I read this thread, there is a plethora of great advice!

I have found that making a funny face and squinting, works for me
:lol:

wheff,

just use a midge tippet threader. A lot easier than messing with tippet at home and tying two pieces of tippet together on the stream.

Size 30 hooks. Oh-kayy...

I'm amazed that any of you can pull this off. It's out there with vaporware, shadow soup, and snipe hunting with a paper bag, as far as I can tell.

"There are some combinations that nobody can handle..."

get bifocals and use 3 foot tippets so you have a shock absorber if you get a big cruiser.

If not already mentioned,make sure hook point is slightly offset-this will drive barb in and better.[true]

Foxgap239 wrote:
Any offered suggestions for tips on fishing these small babies?

Ah yes, micro midging...

Gentle, sipping, porposing rises. 7X tippets. Teeny hooks. Magnifying clip-ons. Casting and casting for refusal after refusal after refusal... (x20) ...then -- finally -- a take! And a miss!

Trying again, and again and again and (x30). Changing to a 26 Gnat . Refusal after refusal after refusal... (x20) ...then -- finally -- a take! And a breakoff!

Trying again, and again and again and (x22). Changing to a #22 Cream midge. Refusal after refusal after refusal... (x15) ...then -- finally -- a take! Then a pull-out. Cursing. Then more cursing.

Trying again, and again and again and (x33). Changing to a #26 Griffiths Gnat. Refusal after refusal after refusal... (x41) ...then -- finally -- a take! Missed! Cursing. Then more cursing, loudly. And even more cursing. Then screaming expletives!

Trying again, and again and again and (x30). Changing to a #30 no-see-um. Refusal after refusal after refusal... (x20) ...then -- finally -- a take! Missed! Cursing. Then more cursing. Then cursing loudly. Then slamming my rod on the water, walking to my car, driving to the nearest bar and getting drunk.

I don't midge anymore... my nerves (and my liver) can no longer take it.

You want my personal advice on micro-midging? Don't do it.

Green,

Don't know if you were fishing on top with the small stuff. By my experience, I get over 90% of my fish using midges below surface not in the film. I know midging can be frustrating at times, but many a day on the water where throwig "big" stuff without results has been saved by using midges below the surface.

Dale

Dale,

I have actually fished midge larvae and pupae as a dropper on a larger dry fly. Which to me isn't nearly as bad as fishing those teeny things on top. And at times it can be effective.

I was being a bit of a wise a$$ before, but I do realize that at times fish love midges. It's just that I hate 'em. All that whining aside, there are still times I'll go down to the teeny stuff to save the day from a skunking. But not nearly as much as I used to. I'd rather just tie on an ant and toss it at the midgers. That change-up often works.

Fox seems to enjoy tiny hooks. I have a (I think) 32 dropper that he tied. Still catches fish.

And I actually use plastic for my snipes.

barbless wrote:
Size 30 hooks. Oh-kayy...

I'm amazed that any of you can pull this off. It's out there with vaporware, shadow soup, and snipe hunting with a paper bag, as far as I can tell.

"There are some combinations that nobody can handle..."

Back