Any advice for fishing size 30's?

I anxious to hear how this works out. I haven't tied anything smaller than 22. Even tying them that small I've bent the hook in half just putting thread on it.
I should never have got you all worked up about an up coming trip. You, my friend, need help! Size thirties...no wonder you can't see to thread them. You are blind from tying them lol.

Here's the original fly I tied up. Any "nice" comments are welcome! :-D

Added another pic to give the size some perspective.

Attachments

• Philadelphia-20120221-00204.jpg
    Philadelphia-20120221-00204.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Philadelphia-20120221-00205.jpg
    Philadelphia-20120221-00205.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3
troutpoop wrote:
I anxious to hear how this works out. I haven't tied anything smaller than 22. Even tying them that small I've bent the hook in half just putting thread on it.
I should never have got you all worked up about an up coming trip. You, my friend, need help! Size thirties...no wonder you can't see to thread them. You are blind from tying them lol.

Hey Dryfly has me all hyped up to tie 32's!

wow, that stuff is really small. Nice looking tie!! I hope it works out so you can show me:)

size 30's with 10x tippet , thanks guys you made my day !!!

Looking good foxgap.
I see you put a tail on it. I don't - since midges don't have tails. It really doesn't matter that much though IMO.

I should also add that they can be tied with a parachute hackle wound around the post. I used to tie them that way. However, winding a parachute on a fly that small can be frustrating. And I found that the flys tied without one seem to float and work just as well for me.

You also talked about fishing a white midge - on penns I believe.
Just tie the same pattern - but with light gray thread for the body - for it. I've come across both white and black midges on limestone streams.

Good luck out there tomorrow!

Fox - after our PM you inspired me to tie some BWO's. These are not size 30. They are a huge 18 in comparison.

I used what I had and now realize what I need. I had two 18 scud hooks I use for zebra midges, black thread, white CDC, and olive antron.

I tied one w/ a micro fiber tail and one w/ a zelon shuck. I like the CDC tuft but I think the antron makes the body a little thick.

I'm not posting these photos because I think they're good ties. I'm new to tying. Critiques are welcome.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 4
Papa, for being new to tying, I think you did quite well with what you had. The pic is a bit dark but the only thing I see is that the body might (and I say might) be a bit bulky. I prefer slender bodies on my mayflies. That said, I think those flies WILL catch fish.

Yeah I agree. I need some olive thread.

Great day on the water. First fish of the day was on a size 30 black midge. He was about 13" but I did not bring him to hand. I misplayed him and he broke the tippet as I was about to net him. Oh well. Got must of my fish on a 24 midge dropper and the 20 BWO on top. Thanks for all the advice.

Couple of pictures of two of the beauties I got on the small stuff yesterday. The one in the net was taken on a size 24 dropper and the other on a size 20 BWO Comparadun. I would have also added a picture of the 13" baby I took on the 30 except I was an idiot and mishandled the landing.

Attachments

• Fish 1.jpg
    Fish 1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Fish 2.jpg
    Fish 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 2
I used to regulary fish a #32 cream midge on the Big Spring. Tied very sparingly with 2-3 hackle fibers for a tail, 14/0 silk thread and 1 to 1/2 turns of hackle. I fished time on long leaders and approximated where the fly was in relaation to the fly line. I looked a fool at times, but caught trout as others stood back and scratched their heads.

I still carry a dozen or so, but have difficult threading a 24 these days.

Where are you guys getting your size 30 and smaller hooks? After around 24 availability is usually pretty limited most places that I shop.

Go buy Midge magic if your gonna get serious about fishing midges. Or your welcome to borrow my copy, its helped in alot of aspects of micro fishing.

zenherper wrote:
Where are you guys getting your size 30 and smaller hooks? After around 24 availability is usually pretty limited most places that I shop.

I hope this link helps. I get my 518's and 2488's from them.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Products/Tiemco_Hooks/Tiemco-518-Dry-Emerger-Hook-25-pack

mushumatt wrote:
Go buy Midge magic if your gonna get serious about fishing midges. Or your welcome to borrow my copy, its helped in alot of aspects of micro fishing.

I have a copy and I must say it is time to re-read it. I forgot about the chapter on 32's until this thread reminded me of it.

Any fly fhop that carries tiemco hooks, should have the 518's.
I've bought mine at FFP

Foxgap239 wrote:
zenherper wrote:

I hope this link helps. I get my 518's and 2488's from them.

http://www.bluequillangler.com/Products/Tiemco_Hooks/Tiemco-518-Dry-Emerger-Hook-25-pack

Thanks Fox. I usually get my hooks from Feather-Craft and TCO, because those are the places I get most of my tying materials from and it's just easier. However they don't often have hooks smaller than 24's.

dryflyguy wrote:
Any fly fhop that carries tiemco hooks, should have the 518's.
I've bought mine at FFP
Me too. You can order online, over the phone or stop by in person. Steve carries them in 28,30 and 32.

The one piece of advice I would offer is when you buy small hooks like we are talking about, by the best, You do not want cheap crap when you get down that small.

Back