Alright, I'm giving this tying thing a try!

goodfortune wrote:
The best advice I can give is to start, and you have already done that :-D.

I don't think that beginners should feel that they should wait before they start learning how to tie. I took a fly-tying class not too long after I first took up fly fishing. It has helped me a lot in learning about the insects and other foods, that the fish we want to catch eat. I also find tying to be incredibly relaxing.

The only other thing I can think of; when you get ready to start tying hackled dry flies, remember one name - Whiting. Though you may be tempted to go with a cheaper option, you'll be glad you spent the extra $$$.

Belair,

I don't know if you've been to backwaterangler.com lately but those guys are offering tying classes right now...

Im going to give this tying thing a try too this winter. I do well learning from books; Im pretty much self taught in fly fishing besides some valuable casting help from OldLefty. I was wandering what books you guys recommend. I would think I need something on tying basics and material properties and some kind of book that gives recipes and intructions on basic flies. Ive searched for books like these and the choices are pretty overwhelming. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Thanks jayl I will have a look at it.

Hi Andy - PM sent.

H.A.

sundrunk wrote:
Belair,

I don't know if you've been to backwaterangler.com lately but those guys are offering tying classes right now...

Yeah, I saw that. I was out of town for the last one. The other shop near the Gunpowder, Greatfeathers, specializes in tying materials. They have room after room of stuff. The owner and staff are all very serious tiers.

Greatfeathers Website

a lot of simple patterns will catch fish: hare's ear nymphs, soft hackles, green weenie, wooly buggers, walt's worms, cress bugs, zebra midges, ants (both wet and dry)... the list goes on. you don't need to tie complex patterns to catch fish. I used to tie much more involved flies (ie. Oliver Edwards) but trout seem to like the simple flies better.

you'll tie some ugly flies for sure, but trout like ugly!

Once you get started, and have a little bit of tying under your belt, I strongly urge asking family members (or treating yourself for x-mas or a birthday) for a copy of the Fly Tier's Benchside Reference by Leeson and Schollmeyer ( $63.00 new from Amazon). It has every conceiveable way to make tails, bodies, wings, legs, and other fly parts, and has good color photos. I'd been tying for about 8 years when I got this book, and I use it all the time now.

I personally could not learn well from books. I missed simple things that came so easily once I watched other people tie a year or two after I started with the books. It reminded me of learning foreign language in high school for three years vs. going to the actual country and learning more in several weeks.

My advice would be instead of books, or in addition to books, watch videos. There is practically an unlimited supply of stuff online. Just look on youtube to start.

BelAirSteve wrote:
sundrunk wrote:
Belair,

Yeah, I saw that. I was out of town for the last one. The other shop near the Gunpowder, Greatfeathers, specializes in tying materials. They have room after room of stuff. The owner and staff are all very serious tiers.

Greatfeathers Website

Great Feathers is a good place to shop...

Don't under estimate the "process of self discovery". It is vital that you establish a tying style of your "own" early in devolpment...

The best things in fly fishing cannot be bought only earned...

Earn: To gain a position through hard work and the accumulation of experience, often in the face of difficulties.

Well, I tied my first fly last night. A few olive scuds with some flashback for the skin. They look like they might catch fish, but I def need to work on tails and practice dubbing. Thanks for the help everyone.

Andy

And so it begins! (the addiction) That first fish you catch on your OWN fly will be that much more satisfying. Congrats!

surveyor06 wrote:
Well, I tied my first fly last night. A few olive scuds with some flashback for the skin. They look like they might catch fish, but I def need to work on tails and practice dubbing. Thanks for the help everyone.

Andy

Hi Andy - I'll bet that scud catches fish. Make sure you save your first fly that you catch something on.

If you'd like, maybe we could all get together at Charlie's shop to do a little tying. Sometimes it's easier to see something done in person, rather than trying to learn out of a book.

H.A.

I want in on that.

Andy,

I believe I showed you some of my scuds. I only tied tails in a few of them, and they all work. I would bet that you can already tie flies that catch fish... from here on out, it's tying to impress yourself.

You know I'd be onboard, just give me a day's notice.

I agree with HA.
Even though there is all kinds of tying info available now - in books and on the web - I recommend taking a tying class.
I did it in 1984. There is still a lot to be said for one on one tying instruction. And, it was a lot of fun to boot.

Hey Guys,

Im def. up for a mini tying jam. Im pretty flexible, so whatever is best for everyone else. JayL and H.A thanks for the vote of confidence, I hope your right.

Jayl, your exactly right. I like to see progression in myself, even if the ugly ones work haha. Im gonna stick with scuds for now unitl i get the basics down. I'll take some pics tonight and post them, so you guys can get a chuckle.

Andy

I'm up for the tying jam too! If for no other reason just getting outta the house. Let me know what your plans are. As far as weekends Sat works better for me.

Add me to the list - i'm only 2miles from Charlie's place and would love to get together and tie.

Back