A question about fly dubbing

Wulff-Man wrote:
Bamboozle, that's sounds like a good tip on the counter-clockwise twist. I never heard that before, but it makes sense. Is that looking at the thread from above or from below?

WM:

That's looking at the thread/bobbin from the top down.

If you don't already un-twist your thread by spinning it CCW to flatten it after every so many turns; you are missing a simple way make smoother heads and reduce bulk. I do prefer it be twisted when tying down materials though.

I lot of tyers don't realize the thread twists when wrapped.

I use a technique from AK Best's book. I keep my wax in a small dish on my tying table, when dubbing i just brush my fingers over the wax to get a slight tack. I prefer this to licking my fingers.

lately i have been using more biots for my dries, i think they make a nicer more segmented profile

Thanks, Bamboozle. Yeah, I know about the twist, and often give the bobbin a CCW spin to flatten it out. This also helps prevent the thread from getting all kinky and figure-8-y when trying to make a loose loop around materials. I just didn't think about the affect on dubbing, but after reading your post it occurred to me that my dubbing sometimes starts to separate from the thread as I get nearer to the end of wrapping it, and I bet this is the problem.

Sandfly, thanks for the Tularemia info. I had suspected that there were health issues with natural furs, and I normally try to avoid licking my fingers with anything but synthetics. Although, like you, sometimes I get lazy, and your info confirms that I should be more careful.

Kreinik silk. Floats forever, easy to dub, colorfast. Just like Fred Reese's silk, best show in town. A little expensive, but if you shop around you can find it cheaper.

http://www.kreinik.com/kshop/product.php?productid=165&cat=35&page=1

Hummm, finger wetting fever. Thanks for the heads-up Sandfly. Better safe than sorry, so a wetting bowl it is with a nod to A.K. Best!

I learned about counter winding flat thread from a Chris Helms video, but I've never heard of Kriinik. Festus, or Bam, what's that?
Coughlin

Coughlin:

Kreinik is pure silk dubbing material; sold in small bags just like all the other dubbing out there in LOTS of colors. It is VERY fine, finer than Superfine with long fibers and really dubs small bodies great. It also floats great and if you are on a "natural materials only" kick, it's silk!

I got turned on to it from an X-employee at the Yellow Breeches shop and bought a bunch because I'm always on the lookout for easy, convenient, fine dubbing for all the dinky flies I tie.

I forgot all about it until Festus mentioned it. It's great stuff but not easy to find in the local fly shops.

This dubbing combo is one of the best kept secrets around for tightly dubbed bodies. :) Just don't put it in your fur blender or you won't like it as much as you use to. :-o

This shop has it on sale. Great people with great service. They are going out of business. Hate to see them go. :-(

http://www.traditionalangler.com/index.htm

Bamboozle & Festus,
Many thanks!
Coughlin

Sure thing Coughlin. Seeings how we're on the subject of dubbing that floats and whatnaught, I'm fixin to open up a real can 'o worms. :lol:

Dubbin that absorbs floatant.....will it float better 'n a dubbin that sheds water or not? Same thing with webby feathers that absorb floatant.....better or not?

This outta get good. :-o

And while I'm at it, when tying light colored flies like the Sulphers or Lt Cahills, any of ya paint the hook shank white so's it don't git ta looking darker when it gits wet?:-D

And while I'm at it, when tying light colored flies like the Sulphers or Lt Cahills, any of ya paint the hook shank white so's it don't git ta looking darker when it gits wet?:-D

Yup - use Wite-Out correction fluid. Does it matter? Dunno. But it does let me know when a certain blonde girl is using my computer - gotta wipe the Wite-Out off the monitor! :-D

Not only can you get disease from licking your fingers while tying, you can build up toxins also. A lot of the commercial fly tying materials are treated in some pretty nasty chemicals. My hands don't go anywhere near my face when tying, and I wash immediately after finishing tying.
I do enough crap that'll kill me, I don't want my favorite past time to accelerate anything.
JP

Festus wrote:
Dubbin that absorbs floatant.....will it float better 'n a dubbin that sheds water or not? Same thing with webby feathers that absorb floatant.....better or not?

Hmmm, since HYDROPHOBIC, (as in Kreinik) mean repels WATER; I don't think floatant is effected in the same way but I ain't a chemist. Besides I'm kinda hooked on Frog Fanny which is totally different but I would THINK if a material absorbs a liquid floatant it would become MORE waterproof than something that doesn't.

As far as painting my hooks; since 98% of my Sulphur fishing is done at dusk or dark; if the fish can notice that difference; I quit.

I use the bat test; if a bat picks up my fly I figure it's good enough for trout.

I was fishing a local lake yesterday and those darn swallows kept picking up my fly and then dropping it. Must have happened 20 times or more.

Bamboozle wrote:
I use the bat test; if a bat picks up my fly I figure it's good enough for trout.
Until trout start "seeing" with radar (sonar?) I don't think that test holds water! :-D

I would think that a few layers of light colored thread usually covers up the hook enough, especially on the larger and bulkier flys. But it's easy enough to tell by soaking the fly and checking whether it's the right color. I never really noticed it before, but I haven't been looking for it.

Wulff-Man wrote:
Until trout start "seeing" with radar (sonar?) I don't think that test holds water! :-D

Maybe the "swallow test" would be better...

..."here birdy, birdy".

;-)

Bamboozle & Festus,
Thanks very much for the Kreninik tip. I got some and ...wow!...I can't believe how easy it is to dub 18-22 dries and larva. My zebra pattern never looked so good.

Thanks again.
Coughlin

Coughlin:

I thanks Fetus too for recommending the Traditional Angler. If that's where you got your Kreninik I hope there was some left after I placed my order. :-D

Now that you like the stuff; I would suggest that you stock-up from the above mentioned source since you won't see the stuff in many fly shops; especially at that price.

BTW take Festus' advice and if you're not already using a tacky wax; try some of the Rumpf stuff. I have almost of full tube of Overton's and when I use it with the Kreninik; I can do 32's with no problem.

Happy tying!

Bamboozle,
I think you must have pretty much wiped them out :-D , as I couldn't get a number of colors. Still, got a nice har'es ear, dun, gray and olive. I can always color the gray.

BTW, hats off to you tackling #32. If I need to go to anything smaller than 24, it's Miller time! :)
Coughlin

Coughlin wrote:
BTW, hats off to you tackling #32. If I need to go to anything smaller than 24, it's Miller time! :)
Coughlin

Heck it's ALWAYS Miller time, or Yuengling time when I'm fishing; even when I'm fishing size 6's!

Back