37 inch Brown Trout

pete41 wrote:
its 36 or 37--

I agree. We all know that 37 inches means it is at least 36.

And that 30 inch steelhead hanging on my wall at home was really only 29.75. ;-)

I saw enough wall fish at Baileys in Livingston Mt.[and caught my share] that it was 'oh yeah " as soon as I saw it-the other one appears to be an attempt to make it appear larger than it is.Using the vanishing point perspective that was my impression anyway-
length is a moot point as browns vary so much depending on sex,pre or post spawn,food source-weight is the true test-looks like about 13 or 14 pds but bait caught any way so "eh"'. Who me jealous ?lol

midnightangler wrote:
That fish is nowhere near 37".

Can anybody honestly look at the linked fish (which is 32") and convince themselves the Wallenpaupack trout is bigger than this one?

http://stevedally.photoshelter.com/image/I0000.hoZrbSlf8U

I doubt it is even 30". I'd guess 27". It's a really big brown trout, but a 37" brown will probably weigh between 15-25 pounds.

Google "Myspace angles"

Didn't they say 32" in the vid?

Also, he said it was 4lb test and braided line is only available in 8-10lb minimum break strength.

Actually Berkley Nanofil is available in #1, #3, #4, and other break strengths and it is most definitely a braid.

I use four pound on my spinning reel-awesome stuff ,cast 20 % further then mono same weight- and that's a big difference. Try it you will love it--great when fishing out of a kayak on small mouth lakes.

actually its around 30 inch 4 to 5 pounder but we are just having fun.

wbranch wrote:
Also, he said it was 4lb test and braided line is only available in 8-10lb minimum break strength.

Actually Berkley Nanofil is available in #1, #3, #4, and other break strengths and it is most definitely a braid.

Interesting, I checked it out here. It's a different type of line, single fiber (not braided) but definitely different than mono or fluoro. It's very slick and special knots are needed. I don't think it has an application for fly fishing.

In afishinado's link, it says that Nanofil isn't a braid. It says that it is "molecularly linked and shaped into a unified filament."

I have Berkley Nanofil on two noodle rods I use for big water steelhead. One is a Plueger filled with 8# and the other 10#. Afishinado says it isn't a braid. I'm not going to contradict him but the back of the blister pack says;

"Hundreds of stronger than steel Dyneema nanofilaments are moleclarly linked into a unified filament fishing line."

So while Berkley isn't saying it is a traditional braid it surely isn't monofilament, it isn't a co-polymer, but it is some kind of multiple strand fishing line.

Yes, it requires the use of specialized knots to attach it to hooks, lures, swivels, or other lines. I use a Palomar knot to tie one end to a micro barrel swivel and on the other side of the swivel I tie 4' of 4X fluorocarbon.

As afishinado has stated it has no fly fishing uses that I am aware of.

In the link I posted it says the same thing you posted above:

The line is made from Dyneema (gel-spun polyethylene) fibers as are many of the company’s other superlines. In this case, though, the fibers aren’t braided but are “molecularly linked and shaped into a unified filament,” according to Berkley. So while the line is effectively a single filament, it’s not a monofilament in the sense of extruded nylon lines. (Nor is it the same as Berkley’s FireLine, in which Dyneema fibers are fused by heat.)

It a gel-spun line like many other "superlines", but the fibers are not braided together, it's a single fiber (perhaps heated and fused together?) Anyway, interesting, but not really something that looks like it would be useful for FFing.

I assume it is useful for steelies with a noodle rod with a spinning reel, though.

In the smaller sizes it is the best of that type line- but not a kids or beginners line.

I assume it is useful for steelies with a noodle rod with a spinning reel, though.

Yes, I get it in chartreuse and due to the very small diameter I can throw light floats, a couple of BB's, and a Glo-bug or nymph 70' - 80' and with an open bail get 100' long drag free drifts. With the 10' 6" rod much of the line is off of the water.

Back