37 inch Brown Trout

Fished that lake a few times for bass big, big lake

rrt wrote:
A great fish, no matter if it is only 36.75". My only concern would be that the guy said they had it out of the water for "only" a little more than 2 minutes. That seems to be a pretty long time if that fish is going to survive, even in cold temperatures.

I would disagree. Two minutes is not long at all under those conditions. IMHO of course. If it was 80 degrees out or sub zero, I would agree, but not caught through the ice on a mild winter day.

Playing it that long would do more damage than having it out of the water for a couple minutes and I wouldn't worry about that, either.

BTW, when I used to ice fish for perch, I would throw them on the ice where they would freeze solid. Then when I took them home and put them in the sink to thaw... Darn things would come back to life and swim around in the sink. Not just one, or some... ALL OF THEM!

don't know the lake but assuming that it has a feeder river that the fish can run up to spawn I would be glad to intercept something that big in either direction-say howdy and release.

The second video reminds me of "Home Alone" where the guy gets the top of his hat burned off.

Now FD, if we put your head underwater for 2 minutes I think you'd change your tune.

It's always great to get your clarification PCray (lawyer/engineer/etc.)

Put your head underwater for 2 minutes, and shove your finger into his lung at the same time.

I didn't know anyone c and r ice fished.

Me either! I just assumed the fish would be harvested. Maybe it was an accident that it fell back into the hole.

moon1284 wrote:

Sometimes even bigger fish are released...

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/02/13/musky-monday-ice-fishing-duo-reels-in-huge-musky/

Catch and Release is really catching on in the ice fishing community. I am in a large ice fishing group on facebook, and making sure to let everyone know the fish is "still swimming" seems to be the new trend. They may even hold their noses up at us some day for stressing them in the warmer water temps.

BTW, when I used to ice fish for perch, I would throw them on the ice where they would freeze solid. Then when I took them home and put them in the sink to thaw... Darn things would come back to life and swim around in the sink. Not just one, or some... ALL OF THEM!

I've seen them swim around in the sink after they were thawed and filleted.

yeah, when I was a kid I remember my dad bringing home a cooler of minny's from the beach after flounder fishing with his buddies...they were in wet newspaper packed in ice. Dropped 'em in a bucket of water and they started swimming around just fine after the couple hours commute home. Chlorinated tap water probably didn't do much good long term though...I don't recall ever fishin' with 'em.

Resilient things fish are...and it is possible to hook a fish under the jaw with a bare finger, without destroying the gills, and there's no bleeding that I could see in the video.

More than anything I'm surprised that that teensy little rod didn't snap in two..

That's the second brown taken out of there over 30" in the last few weeks. I am not too far (about 15-20 minutes) from the lake and big trout like that come out of there regularly. The feeder creek does lend itself to some fish but I think mostly walleye travel up the creek from what I have heard.

I ice fish and catch and release 99% of the time..cold weather can do quick damage on a fish and any released fish are photographed and then right back down the hole. I do sometimes like to take a few perch or panfish (the other 1%) but only if I am going to eat them soon thereafter.

Has that lake not produced the state record brown and several that were close to record size? No secret. One thing most don't know is that the entire lake is private property .....as well as the surrounding land.

pcray1231 wrote:
Another virus (Spin Casting Video) has been released into the Fly Fishing forum.

I suppose we will soon be a generic forum. (both Flyfishing and Spin Casting?)

Ok, just to be clear. The term "spincasting" is WAY overused in this forum. There are spinning reels. There are "baitcasting" reels, or just "casters".

And yes, there are "spincasting" reels. See below. The reel in the video is in no way a spincasting reel. It is a spinning reel.

Thanks mom!

Maybe I should tune up the outboard for the JAM this year?!

outsider wrote:
pcray1231 wrote:
Another virus (Spin Casting Video) has been released into the Fly Fishing forum.

Ok, just to be clear. The term "spincasting" is WAY overused in this forum. There are spinning reels. There are "baitcasting" reels, or just "casters".

And yes, there are "spincasting" reels. See below. The reel in the video is in no way a spincasting reel. It is a spinning reel.

Thanks mom!
more-you-know.jpg

Not to mention that a fish that big being lipped likely injured it's back. And 2 minutes is a long time, it didn't look like they were constantly submerging it.

I'm more intrigued with the thickness of the ice and its safety. All sources point to 4" being the minimum thickness for ice fishing which these guys appeared to be getting close to. That and the water on the surface...ballsy stuff! I'm sure others of you who are more experienced are saying, "No problem!".

salvelinus wrote:
outsider wrote:
pcray1231 wrote:

Thanks mom!
more-you-know.jpg

LOL!

I am offended by any use of the terms spin or bait.

Back