2011 PAFF Eastern PA Fly Tying Mini Jam 12/17/11

Hack, tell your son that youtube is his friend :) that's how I learned (I was 12 too i think) and now im 14 (ill be 15 by the jam though) :) I'll be there so he won't be the only kid...

I am not from this area. what town is it close to? and do they do a mail out invite

longcast wrote:
I am not from this area. what town is it close to? and do they do a mail out invite

No special invite. It is just a bunch of guys from the board and getting together. It is 20 minutes north of Allentown. It's near Palmerton.

longcast wrote:

Hi longcast - Directions to the Osprey House at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center can be obtained here. That is the location for the tying jam.

The places where you can get further tying instruction locally here are as follows:

Hokendauqua Trout Unlimited

and Tuedays at the LL Bean Center Valley at 6PM.

I'm hoping to have the guy attend the jam that runs the Hokendauqua TU tying class - that'd be tony300wby here on this forum.

I'm also hoping to have the guy that runs the tying classes at the local LL Bean (George Maciag) in attendance at the jam.

These two guys can provide additional information on their respective tying classes to the jam attendees. They're also some of the best local tyers, and would add a tremendous amount of tying skills to our event.

Hope to see you at the Jam!

H.A.

George's class cycle just re-started last week, or this week. Its free, and will take you from rank beginner to not rank beginner. I've done it in the past, and I knwo dubthethorax just ran through the cycle.

George's class is fantastic. I went in to it having some fairly decent tying skills/knowledge and I still learned a ton. Even if you aren't just starting out, it's extremely informative.

You might be a little bored the first few weeks though.

oh yeah, and I'd love to attend this, and I'd even love to tie some flies if there's room.

Of course Dub, then you can fish with us in the morning at the Po.

Im not so sure about that. You're bad luck to fish with! I keep getting the skunk

Yea, but I don't. So I enjoy it. lol

I'm kind of new to the board in the sense that I have never met anyone or gone to any events yet. I think this is a great way to start. I can tie a little bit and my specialities are Comparaduns and of course, my inchworm. If you need a tyer, maybe I could fill a spot but if you don't need a tyer, I'd love to attend anyway.

Fox - You must type faster than I do. It'd be great to have you attend. I'll add you to the list of attendees in the tying forum thread. Don will be proud of you! It would be really awesome if he was there - if you talk to him, pass the info on. I hate to call him and burn up his minutes. Was hoping to see him at the Tying Symposium in Somerset....

That's a fantastic idea. I'll see if I can talk him into it. I'll let you know.

I am very new to the fly tying, but I will be there to learn and meet all the fellow board members.

FFChineseman wrote:
I am very new to the fly tying, but I will be there to learn and meet all the fellow board members.

Glad you can make it. We'll have a great time, I'm sure.

H.A.

Ed,

I've put together a big box of stuff to bring to the tying jam. It's nothing great but more than enough to get someone started. Vice, couple of bobbins, feathers, hooks, fur, etc. It was handed to me by a friend. He said that I gave it to him when getting divorced and thought he could use it.... he never did and I'd forgotten about the stuff.

Awesome! Can I add you to the list in the tying forum thread?

If so, do you want to do a demo?

Yea he can do the floating nymph.

Shane.... I could get in trouble if I typed what I'm thinking right now. Give you a hint.... 2 letters.... first one is 'F'. LMAO

make sure you whip up some of those ba-donkey-butts you made so famous.

Think I'll be up. I don't tie but gotta learn some time. Anyone want to meet up and fish in the morning?

Back