Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Dealing with ticks.

From Lewistown
I just check myself when I get home.

If I have one dish soap and counter-clockwise circles gets them to release.

Then they get flushed. I hope I'm not making mutant ticks.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 8:46

From Schwenksville
Gary,
Check out sierratradingpost.com from time to time. They have great deals on the fishing shirts. Thier selection right now isn't the best but it changes often. About 2 months ago I picked up (4) Simms long sleeved shirts. All were under $25 for the XL Talls. I'm a big fan of Simms gear but don't usually buy it due to the cost but for under $25 I couldn't pass them up. Dick's Sporting Goods sometimes has great deals as well.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 10:02

From Bozeman

Posted on: 2010/5/7 10:57

From Suburban Pittsburgh
I recommend this if you don't want to put insect repellant directly on your skin. Peremethin is the same stuff that's on the Buzz Off clothing that you see at LL Bean, Orvis, and in Ex Officio Clothing. You can get a couple of those Cabelas shirts and treat them with it. I've used it on hats, pants, shirts with good success.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 23:34

From Enola, Pa.
I contacted Lyme a couple of years ago, it's not a good thing so, make sure you check yourself or have some help, everytime. The biggest thing for me was, it afected my balance, it has really hurt my wading.

PaulG

Posted on: 2010/5/8 7:22

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Is Permanone a brand name for another permethrin based product?

Exactly.

http://www.rei.com/product/784097

Who would have guessed that Pickett's Charge was actually stopped by the rebels stopping to pick off ticks at the fence along the Emmitsburg Rd.

H.A.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 12:52

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Quote:
Permanone, permanone, permanone. You can find it with the other bug sprays at wally world. Just spray your cheap long sleeve tee, waders and anything else you may wear that touches brush and let dry. Lasts weeks even through a wash or 2. I'm sure it causes cancer every pesticide that works well does but you bite your split shot so you won't mind.

LittleLehigh,

Interesting suggestion to treat waders, I hadn't thought of that. Have you noticed any premature wear and tear from using Permanone to treat your waders?

Posted on: 2010/5/10 15:45

From Morgantown WV
I don't care how hot it is anymore I cover up everything. I have been dealing with lymes for three years. I could hardly walk at one point. It left me with arthritis in my right knee and I'm only 28. You can't get lymes from a deer tick unless it has been on you for at least 24hrs. So look yourself over after every trip. Lymes is some nasty stuff.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 20:00

Jaybo

From the best I can tell I do not see any premature wear. I think if you read the can it is recommended for tents which I think is equivelent material. BTW I only use a cheap pair of cabela's neoprenes.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 8:27

From SEPA
This stuff shouldn't be so difficult to track down. Two Walmarts and a Dick's, and I'm still without.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 9:12

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
yeah, I wouldn't worry about neoprenes, the question for me is whether it'll degrade breathables.

I don't do anything special to prevent lyme disease. I probably should. I've had a few ticks at times, though I can't say ever from fishing (when I used to small game hunt it was common). In some places I use DEET products, mostly for the mosquitoes but it works on ticks too. The problem is that when mosquitoes aren't a problem, I don't apply the stuff, I hate bug spray and the way it makes me smell and feel.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 9:31

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Thanks LL, that helps although I'm like PCray and use breathables so I'm a little tenative to use it on waders. Knowing the stuff treats clothing and tents may mean it's OK to use on waders, but anyone with a track record of using this stuff with breathables that can chime in would be helpful. I'd hate to apply it and find that it causes premature wear on my primary set of waders. Maybe the application to the fishing shirt would be enough of a deterrant.

Maybe I'll try it with my backup/lighter weight waders and give that a shot first, it wouldn't kill me if I had to replace those.

Anyone have experience using Permanone and Peremethrin that can comment on which seems to work better?

Gfen, check REI, they have both Permanone and Peremethrin, I'm think they have the stuff that you can apply to your skin also.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 12:30

From Chester County
Warning: DEET and some fly lines don't mix. Be careful. Don't ask how I found that out.....

Posted on: 2010/5/11 12:54

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
jaybo,

If I did treat my waders, I'd probably only treat the top. Ticks ain't gettin through the waders, they have to go up over....

Posted on: 2010/5/11 13:31

From Gettysburg
I agree with pcray. I merely treat the upper few inches of my waders/hip boots with permethrin.

Quote:

Who would have guessed that Pickett's Charge was actually stopped by the rebels stopping to pick off ticks at the fence along the Emmitsburg Rd.

H.A.

HA,
I want the first signed copy of your impending new book about the Real Reason the South Lost the Civil War.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 18:10

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com