Help me make a gratuitious rod purchase

Six-Gun

Six-Gun

This coming tax season, I plan on spoiling myself with a rod that I have absolutely no need for. Need is not the point here. As of now, I don't any really pricey gear and simply want to go there for the hell of it with help from Uncle Sam's payback progam (read: tax return).

So, here's what I'm generally about on this purchase. Based on the below criteria suggest a rod - manufacturer/model/length/action type - that you would consider in the $800 range. Know that a Waterworks-Lamson ULA Force SL reel has been purchased for whatever this will be paired with:

-4wt (not negotiable - I don't own one yet, so that's what I'm getting)

-Primarily for dry flies (I'm leaning more toward nice presentation over distance, but it must be vesatile enough to throw smaller wooly buggers and similar streamers)

- Primarily for small/medium water (I don't have a lot of access to really big rivers)

Just for your info, some choices that have crossed my mind:
-Orvis Helios 2, mid flex, 9'.
-Sage Circa, 8'9" (though the more I looks at it, it may be a little TOO dry fly-specialized)
-Winston Traditional, medium action, 9'

I don't see how you could go wrong with a Sage, if not the Circa then the VXP.

All are awesome. Throw the Scott Radian in just for kicks. I havnt thrown it, but heard its nice. It won some award at IFTD

My vote goes to the H2. I have an 8 wt one of those. SWEET stick.

As much as rods like the Radian and the H2 are one's I'd like to have in my quiver, if "primarily for dry flies" and "primarily for small/medium water" are in your criteria list, I don't see a reason to look at either of those rods.

After all, they're both fast action rods. And not just fast action rods, current generation fast action rods. That means they're considerably faster than even the fast action rods of a few years ago (i.e. the Sage Z-Axis).

I'd look at an older generation fast action rod or a medium action rod.

I haven't cast it in quite some time, but the Scott G2 comes to mind.

Six-Gun wrote:
-4wt
-Primarily for dry flies
- Primarily for small/medium water

Winston WT, the "Tom Morgan Favorite."
Orvis Superfine.

These set the standards by your requirements. Everything else is going to simply be second class.

I like Gfen's choices for a dry fly rod. For something a little better all around I would have to add:
Orvis H2
Hardy Zenith
Sage One
Get to some shops and cast as many as you can. As they say, ask 10 different people, you get 11 different answers. It all depends on what you like.

Haven't castes the g2 but the scott g is absolutely amazing rod.

G2 by Scott is butter. Very sweet stick. It really depends on what action you prefer. The H2 is a great rod and probably the only Orvis rod I've cast where the result was a huge grin and "I've gotta get one of those". I'll agree with the previous post that mentioned some models from a few years back that might work...Sage models z-axis or SP. Redington's CPS is another.

If you have a dealer close by, cast the G2 from Scott and the H2 mid flex. See which you like better.

Something like this may be nice ...... $800 -$1,300 depending on what you'd want .....

http://www.gink.com/GG-Products-Rod-GehrkesWestern.html

Wrong thread. You must have ment to post that on the bamboo forum :p

I love my Hardy Zenith, so make sure you try one of them

I normally like to knock Orvis as overpriced crap. But, I will admit that they finally got a few things right with their mid-flex Helios line. I recently fished my friends 8'4" 3wt mid-flex rod. I usually like a my rods a bit tippy for dries but this rod

C.F. Burkheimer "Classic" Trout Fly Rod 8' 9" 4wt or a winston WT 8.5' or 9' 4 wt.

Thanks for the replies, guys. There are some great suggestions coming in and lots of food for thought.

I must say that after posting this thread, I gave Winston a call to ask a few questions and also ask what their thoughts were on this very topic as far as their product offerings goes.

As expected, the product rep brought up the Winston WT (aka Winston Traditional), but he also pointed me toward the newer Boron III LS, a newer offering specifically designed to give light line offerings a bit more push (medium-fast action) while still preserving the light presentation I'm after. It looks nice, the product description looks spot-on for what I'm after, but I have zero feedback on this rod from real-world users. Anyone have any experience with it?

The only thing I find a little tacky on this rod is the *optional* skelontized aluminum/graphite real seat, but the more traditional looking nickel silver/burled wood offering is right up my alley. I'm feeling a bit conservative and leaning toward the WT, but this newer rod sounds extremely close to what I'm after. Any given day of the week, my mood could change and this one might follow me home.

Six,

PM sent

krayfish -

I just checked my inbox but the message didn't show up. I'll check again shortly and thanks for your input.

I didn't see it in my outbox. If you don't get it shortly, I'll resend.

I just checked again: no joy on receiving it. If you don't mind, go ahead and resend it and I'll take a look when I get back from the gym. Thanks again for the help.

Damn it. I typed a book on the phone. While you work out, I'll eat cake, smoke and re-type it. LMAO

For some reason, my PM won't send. I've responded to several guys but nothing in my outbox. Have to get that fixed.

If you are unable to get feedback on a Winston model, I'm going to suggest you speak to Wayne from The Anglers Habitat in Caldwell Idaho. (208) 454-8188

He had a shop in Alaska, retired and moved to Idaho where he just couldn't keep himself out of the industry. He’s since opened a shop in Caldwell that’s become massively successful. He's built a Sage TCX, Z-Axis and 2 St Croix Legend Elites for me. The guy has been more than fair, treated me great and is quite knowledgeable.

Last week we had a discussion about rod actions, styles of rods and casting preferences. He’s currently working on a Sage VXP 6 wt for me. Wayne is a Winston man all the way. If they’ve built it, he’s fished it. I think you can get some great feedback from him. He can also make some suggestions on a different make / model.

They also build custom Winstons in his shop. He prides himself in quality work and will beat any factory rod price on one of his customs. If you read his store policy, when you buy something… if you aren’t happy, he’ll return it for full price credit. I can think of 4-5 guys on here that have also had rods built by him. The only thing I requested on the current build was the best cork he could find and the upgrade was very modest ($25-30). I did request that the rod have one of those ugly carbon fiber / cut out aluminum seats that you labeled as “tacky”. I just wanted something different since all the other rods have wooden reel seats. I’d give him a shout, pick his brain and see what you think. Tell him Andy in PA sent ya.

Back