What feature of a nymph fly do you find unnecessary?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Sylvaneous

Dear Sylvaneous,

I voted hot spot because I don't know what it is? I usually fish generic nymphs like GRHE's, Pheasant Tails, and Prince nymphs. I find size, proportions, and general appearance matter the most for me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

A "hot spot" is a place where a generic nymph with no legs, wing case, ribbing or a tail catches a lot of fish... ;)

Dear Sylvaneous,

I voted hot spot because I don't know what it is? I usually fish generic nymphs like GRHE's, Pheasant Tails, and Prince nymphs. I find size, proportions, and general appearance matter the most for me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
Its a bight dot or bright thread collar, maybe a butt that is bright.

I stick to "generic" nymphs. In my tying of nymphs the wing case was the first to go. It was a PITA for me to tie. The legs were the next to go, I replaced them with soft hackles. I've never used a "hot spot" I've never seen a natural nymph with a bright dot on it or a neon butt. I do vary the color of my nymphs, tan, brown, olive, black, sometimes a mix of the colors.

A "hot spot" is a place where a generic nymph with no legs, wing case, ribbing or a tail catches a lot of fish... ;)
Is a "swinging hot spot" the same, except for wet flies?

Legs...Specifically Lively Legz! When I see a fly with them it's like finger nails scratching a blackboard! 😎
I have to agree. They seem to have caught a lot of fly tyers though. I can see the usefulness of such a product on oversized stonefly patterns, but for typical, eastern nymph patterns.... .....nah.

Actually, I think they look terribly unnatural, more so than even just straight rubber legs in an "x" configuration.

I voted legs.

Guard hairs and picking or brushing the dubbing seems to do ok.

Actually I think size and general color is most important wing case and legs not so much. My most product nymph on the upper Delaware this year was a stupid simple pheasant tail. Just pheasant tail, ribbing, and peacock hurl abdomen out fished more complex flies.

Last edited:
I would say wingcase, but still mostly tie them in. The perdigon style flies and simple pheasant tails without legs or hackle work well and make a case for eliminating legs. However, still love Pat's rubber legs and jiggly Pat's.

Back