>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tying Tan CDC Loopwing Caddis from 14-18.

Hook: Daiichi 1110
Thread: UTC70 Rusty Brown
Body: Tan Rabbit dubbing
Wing: Tan CDC with Natural Brown Deer Hair over top

Very visible and have worked nicely up on the Delaware.
Very nice. You tie the CDC in by the tips at the end of the hook then fold over?

Very nice. You tie the CDC in by the tips at the end of the hook then fold over?
Exactly. By leaving a bit if the CDC tips near the hook eye you can then fold then back over before tying in the deer hair. CDC “legs”.

Size 16 Griffiths Gnat for the top end of a wintertime dry/dropper set up.

DC290523 C611 433F 9924 D876F8B31A73

I've been tying up some shad flies for a trip in April. My SW club has been Zoom fly tying session on Friday nights. We watch a you tube video and tie the fly, stopping it at various spots. These are the ones we tied last night.
DSCF1093

DSCF1096

I think I have too much time on my hands. These are based on the British Booby Fly pattern. Except I've tied them up for bass. Basically they're a floating Woolly Bugger.
DSCF1115

DSCF1105

DSCF1107

I might as well add a couple of more items I've been tying. I've been tying more flies on jigs, not jig hooks. Working mainly with 1/32 oz or 1/20 oz jigs which I can easily cast with my 6 wgt. I think I posted some of the buck tail and hair jigs I tied up. I'm also adding marabou jigs. These are a little further out of the box. The Ned rig is pretty popular with dark side bass fisherman and they make a 1/20 oz Ned jig so I made up some Ned flies to see fool some bass.
DSCF1082

This is how they look sitting on a relatively flat bottom of a water filled plastic jar
DSCF1123

I've also been playing around with my go to crayfish pattern. Normally, I tie the dumbbell eyes in right behind the hook eye. I decided tie in dumbbell eyes in Clouser style, with the eyes 1/3 of the shank length behind the hook eye. The prototype is tied on a jig hook. It was sitting right in front of me on my tying desk. The rest will be tied on straight shank hooks. I'm looking to see if I can get a different action and look when it's in the water.
DSCF1086

And sitting in the water jar
DSCF1117

I think it might sit a bit differently tied on a straight shank hook. Won't know till I tie one.

I decided to tie some Hendrickson & Red Quill soft hackles. A type of fly I have rarely tied or fished. Hopefully these will bring me some fish as I swing them before the duns appear.

These are the Red Quills.

Attachments

• 20220121_232806.jpg
    20220121_232806.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 26
Both of those ^ are great looking flies......I like your chances.

BTW, I would grease them up and use them as emergers when those nasty D River trout are rising but won't hit your dun patterns.

Good luck.

BTW, I would grease them up and use them as emergers when those nasty D River trout are rising but won't hit your dun patterns.

Good luck.
That was one of my intentions when I dressed them so fully. Put a little shot on it if I want to swing it. Or dry it off, put on a little floatant and fish them damp to those finicky browns. Thanks.

afishinado said:

Good luck.

That was one of my intentions when I dressed them so fully. Put a little shot on it if I want to swing it. Or dry it off, put on a little floatant and fish them damp to those finicky browns. Thanks.
Yup ^

I tie some specific emerger patterns, but often fish soft hackles in the film with great success. Double-duty fly patterns for both wet and damp fishing.

I might as well add a couple of more items I've been tying. I've been tying more flies on jigs, not jig hooks. Working mainly with 1/32 oz or 1/20 oz jigs which I can easily cast with my 6 wgt. I think I posted some of the buck tail and hair jigs I tied up. I'm also adding marabou jigs. These are a little further out of the box. The Ned rig is pretty popular with dark side bass fisherman and they make a 1/20 oz Ned jig so I made up some Ned flies to see fool some bass.
View attachment 1641224153
This is how they look sitting on a relatively flat bottom of a water filled plastic jar
View attachment 1641224154
I've also been playing around with my go to crayfish pattern. Normally, I tie the dumbbell eyes in right behind the hook eye. I decided tie in dumbbell eyes in Clouser style, with the eyes 1/3 of the shank length behind the hook eye. The prototype is tied on a jig hook. It was sitting right in front of me on my tying desk. The rest will be tied on straight shank hooks. I'm looking to see if I can get a different action and look when it's in the water.
View attachment 1641224160
And sitting in the water jar
View attachment 1641224161
I think it might sit a bit differently tied on a straight shank hook. Won't know till I tie one.
Hi Jerry- what material are you using for the ned rig "body"? I like them a lot, think they would work great for the smalljaws.

It has been 7 months since I published a video on my YouTube channel. I have a series of excuses (that range from remodeling the entire second floor of my house (added a bath) to moving from Windows to Linux on my laptop. I cannot “chmod”, “vi” and “chown” (Linux terms) as well as some, but it is fun learning this stuff all over again.

Today it is snowing and well below freezing here in western PA and the honey-do list is sufficiently caught up for now so...enjoy!

Thanks for looking and stay safe!

Hi Jerry- what material are you using for the ned rig "body"? I like them a lot, think they would work great for the smalljaws.
I got if from Feather-Craft. It's called 'Predator-9 Worm' soft chenille for Bass. What I did was twist/furl the tail portion, tie it in just in front of the bend. Laid one tag end on the shank and wrapped it down with thread. Then wrapped the other tag end over it. It comes in several colors, but I just brought white and used permanent markers to color them. The material is buoyant. It might be useful for a suspending fly

Was going for isonychia emerger here.

Hook: TMC2312 #14
Shuck: EP Trigger Point fibers Lt March Brown
Body: EP Trigger Point fibers March Brown
Wings: EP Trigger Point fibers Dk Dun
Thorax: Dark hare's ear with trigger point fibers mixed in

IMG 5160

I got if from Feather-Craft. It's called 'Predator-9 Worm' soft chenille for Bass. What I did was twist/furl the tail portion, tie it in just in front of the bend. Laid one tag end on the shank and wrapped it down with thread. Then wrapped the other tag end over it. It comes in several colors, but I just brought white and used permanent markers to color them. The material is buoyant. It might be useful for a suspending fly
Jerry-

Thanks for the response, very helpful. I've been searching for a good "worm" pattern, this looks like it would fit the bill.

Zonker. Or double zonker. With offset bead eyes.
ECD8B9F8 A0E7 4692 A70E E7032A1BD5E5

Today Iso's with a compara-dun type wing and a few wraps of dun hackle. I know the wing appears more blue than dark gray but some of that blue is coming off with my inadequate photography skills. The color is a blend of blue, dark gray, and gold flash. Something different. Three are tied with traditional dark gray Antron. The material is called "Sculpting Flash Fiber".

Attachments

• 20220125_134734.jpg
    20220125_134734.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220125_155657.jpg
    20220125_155657.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
BWO

Hook: TMC100 #18
Tails: Dun Microfibetts
Body: BWO goose biots
Wings: EP Trigger Point fibers BWO
Hackle: Dark dun trimmed flat under the hook
Thorax: BWO Superfine dubbing
IMG 5164

Green Le Bug

Hook: Tiemco U202 Size 14-18
Bead: Wapsi Cyclops Copper
Thread: Uni 8/0 Olive
Weight: 0.15 Lead Free
Abdomen: Olive Superfine Dubbing
Rib: Ultrawire Small Copper
Thorax: Peacock Herl
Legs: Grizzly Hackle

I have been having a lot of luck with this fly over the past month. Set beneath a Copper John or Pheasant Tail and the Rainbows have been loving it.

Attachments

• Green Le Bug.JPG
    Green Le Bug.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back