Steelhead Outfit

C

Chet2134

Plan on heading to Erie for some steelhead fishing in November. This will be the first year i plan on fly fishing there.

Does anybody have any suggestions for rods, reels, lines, wt., ect. for me so i can put togeather something that i will enjoy using and be durable enough to hopefully handle some big fish.

Thanks!

There will be some disagreement, so I will send out my 2 cents for what it is worth and recommend a 9'6" or 10' 7-weight rod with a moderate action. The leader should be between 7-9 feet long, ending in 2X or 3X. The reel should be disk drag and the more durable the better. You need not spend a lot. I think the Okuma Cascade is a good inexpensive choice.

I like Jacks suggestions. Personally I have a smallie/ steelie/ carp setup. I also plan on finding out how it does for Pike next year. I use a 9' 8wt Cabelas Traditonal with a Presitge Plus II reel. I spent under $100 for the entire outfit and it does great on steelies. I've been real happy with the Presitge Plus II, it has taken a real beating in the last few years on carp and still works awesome.

The only thing I would want to change is if I were to get a steelie specific rod, I'd go longer like Jack suggested.

Last year I used a 9 ft 6 wt. I did fine, but I sometimes felt I was a little under gunned. Over the summer I got a new set-up with a 10 ft 7 wt rod and an Okuma Cascade reel. I think this will be an ideal set-up, and like ShipNFish I have under $100 in the set-up (but I already had a line).

A 6, 7, or 8 wt rod between 9 and 10 ft long will do the job. Make sure the reel has a decent drag or you'll be sorry.

I bought a new steelhead outfit last summer.
I had it in my mind to get a 9'6" 7 wght when I went to the fly shop.
But the guy working there suggested I get a 10 footer, - said that's what many people prefer up Erie now.
So I cast both lengths in a 7 weight out in the lot there - liked the longer rod - and bought it.
When I used it up walnut creek last fall, I really liked how the extra length played out the fish better, and am glad I got it now.
By the way, it's a redington redfly 4 piece - cost me $150
I paired it with an Orvis battenkill bar stock reel - very smooth

I have the same setup as shipnfish...worked fine. Jack's suggestion would be nice too. The extra length could definitely be helpful...

I bought a 9'-6" 7WT Redington RedFly rod with an Okuma Helios Reel. I added a Orvis intermediate sinking 7WT line to the reel. It works good for the times that I wish to swing streamers or wet flies and will also work if I add a yarn indicator for drifting eggs or nymphs. I do have another reel with a full sink line which I plan to use this season to test that out. I have found that a 6lb. flourocarbon tippet works best for me. I have be playing around with leader lengths and strike indicator locations depending on the water depths. One bit of advise though. If you go in the winter be sure not to dip your reel in the water!! If the air temp is cold enough the reel will freeze up and you could loose a few fish.

JackM wrote:
There will be some disagreement, so I will send out my 2 cents for what it is worth and recommend a 9'6" or 10' 7-weight rod with a moderate action. The leader should be between 7-9 feet long, ending in 2X or 3X. The reel should be disk drag and the more durable the better. You need not spend a lot. I think the Okuma Cascade is a good inexpensive choice.

I also agree with Jack on this one. A seven weight is a nice medium. You can get away with a six weight as albatross suggested. I too would highly advise disc drag as a must especially if you get into some chromers which is a fresh fish in from the lake as they can be pretty darn fiesty.

Back