Shingle Branch

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

I was curious who might have some insight on the Shingle Branch of YWC? It appears to be somewhat secluded and fairly lengthy. Worth the effort from Philly area? A PM would be greatly appreciated.

I was curious who might have some insight on the Shingle Branch of YWC? It appears to be somewhat secluded and fairly lengthy. Worth the effort from Philly area? A PM would be greatly appreciated.
My brother and I hiked from the mouth back to our camp 2 years ago. Caught a bunch of brookies, but it looked as if there could be some big browns hiding in some of the deep pools. The stream in its lower section is about as big as the LBYW it dumps into above its confluence. Easily my favorite wild trout stream up there.

In PA there are hundreds of smallish forested freestone streams with a mix of wild browns and native brook trout. If you like that type of stream, you'll probably like it.

A little way up from the bottom there is a unique looking camp. It looks old and it's low and constructed of big logs. A Fish Commission employee told me that the owner said those are American Chestnut logs.

BTW, these replies show once again that even though many people like to imagine that "no one fishes these streams," it ain't so.

Ironically, the one time I went to fish Shingle Branch there were two guys there at the bridge and gearing up to fish it. I went upstream and fished Greenlick and the LB upstream of Greenlick. I did well that day, conditions were good, caught mostly wild Browns. I’m sure Shingle fished well too. It’s still on my list to fish.

Last edited:
In PA there are hundreds of smallish forested freestone streams with a mix of wild browns and native brook trout. If you like that type of stream, you'll probably like it.

A little way up from the bottom there is a unique looking camp. It looks old and it's low and constructed of big logs. A Fish Commission employee told me that the owner said those are American Chestnut logs.

BTW, these replies show once again that even though many people like to imagine that "no one fishes these streams," it ain't so.
The camp is extremely unique looking as well as the terrain around it. Lots of large boulders, and beautiful stream to fish. I've had good success all the way up each of its headwaters as well.

Back