Rod and reel combo feedback

wgmiller

wgmiller

I'm looking to make the big leap to fly fishing in the very near future and would like to pick up a rod/reel combo just to make life easy. I'm looking to drop no more than $150 since I'm just getting into it and to learn the art. I know $150 doesn't buy much these days, but I've already spent my "allowance" this year on other fishing gear (waders, tackle, vest, etc.), so I'm trying to hold tight to a $150 budget on a rod and reel. I'm aware that ancillary tackle (flies, tippets, etc.) will tack on some additional cost.

That being said, I was up at Bass Pro Shops a few weeks ago and started to nose through their fly shop. A rod/reel combo was pointed out to me which I'm pretty sure was this setup. All of the rod/reel combos appeared to be of decent quality and the online reviews all seemed positive.

The fish I'll be using my fly gear for will be mostly trout with the occasional panfish or bass outing. No steelheads or anything bigger like that. The areas I'll be fishing will be mostly freshwater small creeks and streams (Donegal Creek, Lititz Run, etc.) with the widest being the Sinnemahoning Creek which can have plenty of width along its length. I'd like a four piece rod that'll break down for easy transport. In doing some research, a 6 wt., 8'6" rod is what I've been coming up with.

Does anyone have any feedback?

You could also do something like THIS
I have this rod and I like it...a little stiffer (faster) than the Hobbs creek. They offer other reels that would save you money.

Personally I would also go with a 9ft 5wt...6wt might be a little much for panfish and most trout. I like the length for streamers and nymphing. Unless you are going to fish a lot of tight water with lots of overhanging vegetation (and even then sometimes I like the longer rod) I wouldn't go any shorter than 8'6"...but thats just me...

Albatross likes the Okuma rods and HERE is a combo I found that would leave you some money for flies and other "necessities".

I echo want Tom is saying, good advice there. 5wt no shorter than 8'6" will get you fishin almost anywhere.

JH

I also agree that you should start with a 9', 5w. I have been able to fish a wide variety of streams and rivers with mine.

Not to diverge the topic - actually this question might help with wgmiller's choice. I notice that most of the rods you guys show are 4 piece. Is there an advantage, other than storage, to a 4 piece rod over a 2 piece?

Is there any merit in picking up an additional reel with sinking line? Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself and I should just focus on getting a setup and learning, but I thought it might be easiest to get an additional matching reel at the time of purchase.

What I have is an extra spool with sinking line...I used to use it a lot in my float tube but not so much anymore. If you can get a deal, just buy the extra spool and when/if you decide you need another line just put it on and you are good to go...an extra spool will not set you back as much as a whole other reel.

The only other reason I would suggest a spool instead of another reel is that reel tend to go out of production just about the time you decide you'd like another line ready to go.

this
is the reel I am using right now. We discussed it in another thread...pretty good deal for a reel and a spool. For that price i'd buy 2 reels though and have a back up...

Now if you were buying this reel you can see how it would be saving you more cash.

If this is your first rod, I wouldn't do anything until you decide you really like fly fishing. Although the first reel is a really good deal. If you decide to get really into it you can then pick up another spool.

Well, I ended up ordering the Okuma 5wt, 9' four-section rod. For a hair over $100 and some ancillary equipment, I can be out wetting some fly line and hopefully fighting some fish. Should fly fishing take off and really get into it, I can always look at upgrading down the road.

Thanks for the feedback!

Back