Replying problem

M

Mike

I am a registered user, yet 50 percent of the time after writing a reply and trying to submit it I get a message in return that I do not have the right to reply in that particular forum. What am I doing wrong? Of course, my rejected responses have been within the special regs post ,a topic about which I have an avid interest, so maybe that's the reason.

Mike

Have you been taking a long time to type your reply? I'm not sure if this is still a problem because I have learned to work around it, but there may be a problem with running out of time. If so, either type your reply in your word processor and cut and paste, or copy and paste your reply that you're typing here right before you submit it. It's always a good idea to copy any reply that you have put a lot of time and effort into composing, in case there's a problem with submitting it.

Sorry you are running into a problem. Is it in all forums or just one? Could it be a time thing? The time was set for 15 minutes and I have now moved it to 30. See if that helps.

Dave

I always select all the text and (right click) copy before posting in case it doesn't work. If it gets killed, you can just paste and try again. Usually works then because like Dave said, its usually a timing out thing.

There is a time out feature on the logon. Overall, I am in favor of timeouts for logons, as they drop inactive users and (as a result) increase the speed of the site. I grant you though, it does lead to problems such as you describe.

Bottom line, if you are taking several minutes to type a reply, you may want to use the workaround described above.

Thank you for the tips. I particularly liked the copy and paste. It must have been a time out problem that I was having (on the general forum). I was attempting to use reference data to support my points and that was difficult to do in a 15 minute period. It is easy to write quickly when shooting from the hip or providing info from personal knowledge, but when the personal knowledge needs some supporting technical data, as is often demanded by some on this site, then the time out period length becomes a problem. Thanks for lengthening the time out period.

Back