Question on wilderness designation.

B

blitzinstripes

A stream in my area that I am hesitant to spot burn online is managed in different sections. The upper reaches above a reservoir (headwaters) is classified as class A brook trout. The middle section below the reservoir up until the first stocking location is considered wilderness wild trout. Then the lower section is general stocked trout regs. My question is that in the book, the upper and middle section would appear to be open to year round fishing but when I look up the stream name by county it says it is closed until opening day of trout. And gives no specific mention of the other two sections. Am I right or wrong that the wilderness designation and class A, make it open year round, catch and release until general trout season opens? (Above the stocked boundary).

If it's helpful this is Adams county. I just hate spot burning wild waters on the Internet. Some of you may be able to figure out where I am talking or feel free to PM me.

The stocked section would be closed until opening day and the upstream wilderness/class A sections would be open to catch and release fishing is my understanding.

That stream is tiny in the wilderness/Class A sections. Looked at it once, and was too small for me.
I'm specifically interested in the "middle" section below the dam down to the upstream stocking boundary. I've looked at the stream and it's decent size in that section as far as brookie streams go. Looking to possibly get out Sunday and explore. Just trying to be 100% sure it's open. That section was reclassified as wilderness trout last year, I believe.

Wilderness trout streams are open to fishing year round.

Yes
The way I’ve always understood it is those sections of streams would be open governed by special regs.

I’ve fished that section many times during the “closed” season. It’s open.

I’ve fished that section many times during the “closed” season. It’s open.
Thank you. Looking forward to stretching my legs and poking around in there.

I know this one well. It's alright. I really like your options just over the Franklin County side though.

We'll call it a success! Beautiful water and plenty of fish. Tough hike, and tough fishing. Lots of thick rhododendron. Ran into one other fly fisherman on an unlisted trib. Beautiful day!

Attachments

• IMG_2226_20240317_140247.jpg
    IMG_2226_20240317_140247.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20240317_105626746_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240317_105626746_HDR.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 81
40+ years ago I caught my first native Brook trout of my flyfishing career in that little stream. Caught it on a little Mickey Finn streamer using my 7 1/2’ Shakespeare Wonder rod with a beat up old Pflueger Medalist reel. It’s cool how old memories like that kind of just stick with you forever.

...when I look up the stream name by county it says it is closed until opening day of trout...

You were given correct information by the folks here...

However IF you looked up the stream in the 2024 Summary Booklet (the only place you should), you may have misunderstood the wording.

The upper limit of the section that is closed (Section 3) references a point above the county border down to the mouth of the stream. The mention of the counties name doesn't imply the entire stream is closed.

FWIW - There is no longer a single stream in any county listed ONLY by stream name in the Stocked Trout Waters (STW) section of the Summary Booklet. They are ALL listed by section. Therefore unless ALL sections of a given stream are listed as STW no entire stream is closed to FISHING this time of year, just harvest.

Glad you listened to others and had a good day!!

What size rod do you use?
For this stream, my son and I used our 7'6" 3 weights. One is a Redington Classic trout. The other is a China rod but it's growing on me. Not much difference between it and the Redington.

Back