pontoons

Here's a video from a few years back. I think everyone is a forum member except one

What is the difference between a $400 pontoon and a $1200 pontoon?

Frames:
$400 = tube steel frame that is heavier and will end up rusting out
$1200 = 6061 aluminum or stainless steel (bucks bags). Longer lasting and the aluminum frame is lighter

Bladders:
$400 = nylon cover with plastic bladders. The 'rip stop' nylon is lower grade and will pop like a hot dog left on the grill. Not fixable usually.
$1200 = PVC cover (think lighter grade WW raft material). Easy to patch with a little know how. Some are bladderless some aren't. Typically very durable.

Seats:
Similar on both price points

Oar locks / anchor system:
Typically upgraded on the more expensive models

Bottom of the barrel:
* Classic Accessories
* Creek Company (might be out of business)

Better:
* Outcast (steel tube frame)

Most more better:
* Aire (big brother of outcast). Aluminum framed, higher grade pontoon material.
* Dave Scadden. Many options, innovative designs. Not as high grade PVC as some companies. Sometimes, shipping issues and that's the main beef with disgruntled customer reviews.
* Bucks Bags. Stainless steel frame, high quality PVC covers, frame add on options for anchor, rod holders, etc. Heavy
So basically the same difference between a $400 mtn bike and $1200 mtn bike.

As someone who doesn't mountain bike, exactly 🤣🤣

I would like to get rid of both my one man pontoons and get either a drift boat or a raft that could be used by two or three guys and that you can stand up in. They are more trouble than they are worth. Most people I know who fish bigger water would probably agree.

I would like to get rid of both my one man pontoons and get either a drift boat or a raft that could be used by two or three guys and that you can stand up in. They are more trouble than they are worth. Most people I know who fish bigger water would probably agree.

I can't agree totally. Have a drift boat and a raft but they can also be a pain. The pontoon has it's place and can be deadly at times. They suck to lug around, load, unload, etc. They are great in the sense people can scatter and do their own thing. They can be fun in rapids..... especially on hot days.

Ever sit on the oars under anchor for 90+ minutes watching your buddies beat on rising fish until they quit rising? After they stop feeding, "hey, you fish a little and I'll row". 🤣 Thanks for the effort 🤣. Wait until you see how many new fishing buddies come out of the woodwork once you get a 3 man boat to row them around in. 😁.

Each has plus and minus column. I really enjoy taking the dogs along (sometimes) and that can't be done in the pontoon

I can't agree totally. Have a drift boat and a raft but they can also be a pain. The pontoon has it's place and can be deadly at times. They suck to lug around, load, unload, etc. They are great in the sense people can scatter and do their own thing. They can be fun in rapids..... especially on hot days.

Ever sit on the oars under anchor for 90+ minutes watching your buddies beat on rising fish until they quit rising? After they stop feeding, "hey, you fish a little and I'll row". 🤣 Thanks for the effort 🤣. Wait until you see how many new fishing buddies come out of the woodwork once you get a 3 man boat to row them around in. 😁.

Each has plus and minus column. I really enjoy taking the dogs along (sometimes) and that can't be done in the pontoon
I hear you. I was at a busy take out the other evening and since I am sort of looking for another watercraft
( as if we do not have enough boats here at the family boatyard), I was asking people about their boats and rafts. Two guys came in rowing nice rafts and they both said they were looking to get hard boats. I have enjoyed the one person pontoons but I do not like anchoring them in higher flows. Seems unsafe sometimes. Was thinking a small drift boat might make the most sense. I see a lot of the Flycraft inflatables lately. Not sure about them.

For fishing comfort and sheer amount of junk you can haul....drift boat wins.

Unimproved launches, being able to smash rocks and go through 3" of water.... raft wins. Lots of stuff to tangle on too

that was funny. but i think he was mainly talking about float tubes. i am interested in this type of pontoon
Ben does prefer the U-shaped tubes over the donuts, since you can sit higher in the water. I don't know if rowing a personal pontoon will be any better on your back than paddling a canoe.

Tough to fish out of on moving water. Still water, no problem. Use mine to get between spots on streams.

Tough to fish out of on moving water. Still water, no problem. Use mine to get between spots on streams.

^^^ yes

If you can multitask like a mofo, deadly nymphing craft.

Back