Orvis Rod Repair

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Recently I broke my flyrod. I was worried because i had the trout bum model that is no longer made in that model. I was concerned about which flyrod that i was going to be receiving back. My rod was a 4wt 4pc 3.0Full Flex 7Ft. They told me that they were going to be sending me most comparible model and that they would upgrade my rod to the newer upgraded superfine series rods at no extra charge. This made me very happy. My rod cost me 375 dollars....the new superfines at almost 500 dollars.

Anyways i shipped it out priority mail on monday and received a new rod on friday. I was really impressed by the speed of the return. Unfortunately when i opened it i was disappointed in the rod they sent me. It was a 4wt 4pc 9.5Tip Flex 7'6''. I am a full flex rod fisherman and like very delicate rods for very spooky fish. I called orvis and explained this. They told me if I could get it to a UPS guy that day and send it back they would ship me the Superfine of my choice! i picked the 3wt 4pc 2.5Full Flex 7'6'' model.

Some flyfisherman will make fun of guys that are orvis diehards as iam. All i can say is that they time and time again have gone out of thier way to make me happy. Just thought you guys might like to know whats going on.

I'm sold on Orvis' customer service, though I have never owned any of their high-end stuff other than Guide Series Waders, which didn't last me a whole lot longer than my first pair of clearwaters.

I've been dealing with Orvis rod repair/customer service for close to 30 years, I have 2 older F&F's, which I rotate on the water, but still manage to break one or the other every 3-4 years.

They've always been prompt and easy to deal with so far as I'm concerned.

They do something which I'm sure is pretty common these days, but I probably haven't noticed since for the most part, all I buy from them is rods. If you order online from Orvis, they'll often fill it from one of their company stores which, depending where you are in regards to Roanoke (where they used to at least have their main warehousing) and the nearest Orvis store, can really speed up delivery.

I found this out recently when I bought a pair of their new rubber sole/cleated wading shoes. I got them the next day via regular old UPS ground from Orvis Chicago.

Never mind that after wearing them a few times, I ended up wishing they'd never sent them at all (they fell apart with less than 50 hours wear time on them). The point is that regardless of how useless the shoes are, they got them to me in a hurry...:)

I also have to praise Orvis's customer service. Even though I've had some problems with a few of their products - mainly waders - they have always replaced them promptly.
I've got an HLS rod that was originally bought about 15 years ago, and has been replaced 2-3 times.
Recently, I bought the proguide waders in 06. They started leaking after about a year or so, and I sent them back last summer. They were promptly replaced, and I wasn't even charged the handling fee.
Those waders started leaking just this past summer, and I sent them back. I was sent another new pair of the proguide III waders, which now sell for about $350 I believe

I like some Orvis stuff, and some has not been very durable, but Orvis has always backed up their merchandise with great customer service. Often I will buy an Orvis brand product over a competitors brand knowing that Orviis will back it up if I have a problem with it.

Jack wrote: "I'm sold on Orvis' customer service...."

Jack, did you get your $25 gift card form Orvis for completing their survey? I'm still waiting for mine.

Never got it and never called to follow up, but I just might do that soon. I'm gonna need a new pair of boots and could use a $25 discount.

Back