OK Christmas is coming! Really eventually.

wetnet

wetnet

I'd like a new reel. I bought my Orvis T3 thru the paper, got a great deal and it's allot nicer than I thought it would be to fish with. I really like it, no I really love it and want to keep it! It needs a new reel. Heard Lamson is nice and really maintenance free. Hey it will be Christmas! What should I put on Santa's list? I can ask for one nice gift, but when you add backing and line what's you pick for a 5 weight trout rod?

For relatively cheap but very good reels, I don't think you can go wrong with Teton. I have a Tioga, which the don't make in a 5wt, that I love. The drag system is so smooth. Their Teton reel does come in a 5wt and sells for around $200. I also love my Hardy but Santa's budget may not allow for that one. If it does, put one on the list.

Wetnet,

It's just my opinion that most of my rods that I use for smaller fish don't need an awesome drag system as the fish don't normally necessitate it. That being said I do have a Lamson Radius on my 5 wt rod but more so because it was a steal. I also own a velocity which is a heavier 7/8 that I use for steelhead. Their drag system is phenomenal for sure. You can get a Konic for ~$130, which has the same drag but is cast instead of machined.
As fly flinger said the Tioga is very good, though you'd have to get a 4 or a 6 or upgrade to the standard Teton. I own one of these also and a great reel.
The Pflueger Trion is nice for 120-130 but a bit heavier than some others.
You might want to check out the Scierra XDP which I have no experience with but have read nothing but great things about it for ~$150.
Lastly but not all encompassing you have Ross which the name carries great respect. I think Cabelas has a couple of their reels in the 130-200 range on sale. The rhythm and momentum I believe and for $245 the evolution in slate blue (that's the one the color they have a sale on for that model.)
Hope this helps.

One amendment here. Also check out Wright & McGill's offerings. Either the Dragonfly or the Damselfly. I saw one of these at my local shop and was thoroughly impressed. I think they're in the $180 range for the 5/6 and so incredibly light. I haven't got to test the drag but plan to purchase the Dragonfly in that weight in the next few months.

Of course there are many other great reels but these are the one's I have the most experience with.

I own 4 Lamson reels, the oldest one I've used hard for 20 seasons and I have never had a problem with that reel, or any of them for that matter. The drag works as well on all of them as it did when I bought it, so I can never blame the reel for losing a fish. Lamson is good, also look at Ross and Galvan in the midpriced fly reel category.

Some do not agree, but I believe it is important to balance your outfit with the right weight reel. Not so much for casting, which you do maybe 10% of the time, but for holding your rod when fishing. Keep that in mind. Good Luck.

Loomis Venture / Adventure reel for $100! I think it's the best bagain out there. Great reel, never a problem with the drag, has taken a beating, and it looks (and sounds) damn good. I've used it as my bacwoods reel, so it has been dropped, banged, even chewed on by a bear (not really), and is in perfect condition. I'd have been happy if I paid $250 for it.
Does anyone have one of there? I've suggested it a couple times, but no one has had my back.
You'll be happy if you check it out, wetnet.

David,

The Loomis Venture looks / sounds good, but I've never tried it.

Wetnet,

Just to add to the confusion, here's a comparative listing of fly reels mentioned above, along with pricing (from Cabela's):

Fly Reel Comparison

Good luck.

Why not an Orvis reel for an Orvis rod? I own a Batenkill and the times that I've been taken into my drag I was glad I bought this reel. I bought mine about 3 years ago for around $110. I would definitely take a look at this reel.

I have heard that the Battenkill is a no brainer. A good rod for a good price. I wish there were more fly shops by us. The only one that has the latest goodies that isn't Orvis is in Luzerne, about an hour away. I'm guessing there will be more than a few fly shops in Colorado. I can window shop while I'm there.

I have done ok with this place. Free shipping, no tax.

http://frontrangeanglers.com/

They are in Boulder CO.

G. Loomis Venture all the way! I have two and love them both. Looks good and sounds good. Very durable and cheap compared to some.

wetnet wrote:
What should I put on Santa's list?

Guess it depends on whether you've been naughty or nice! ;-)

I really like the Galvan OB series, and the Torque series is one awesome reel as well. Galvan is also a sponsor of the USA Youth Team. I've had a few Lamsons, and hated the way you had to change spools. The drag also isn't as smooth as the Galvan OB. The Galvan has the most low end drag adjustability of any reel I've ever handled.

Another reel I own and recommend is the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor. One of those would look sweet on a T3! You'd save enough on the price to buy a Sharkskin line for it as well......

Well Christmas might come early. Had a Tiff with the hubbbie about how much time I planned on spending fishing in CO. Packing too much wading gear and fishing stuff..... I won. So now I need to re-outfit my husband with all the stuff his son and wife have bootlegged and ruined since Wes & I have found our addiction to this bad habit. Got to replace his reel and replace his waders. They were both ancient we are talking years but a man and his fine old memories of fishing with his best bud are hard to replace. I'll probably pick up a mid arbor battenkill today. I get a discount at Orvis and it's definitely a reel worth having.

Nobody mentioned the Redington Red Fly. For about $35 you can't beat it. Well yes you can and I have. It looks beat, it was my first reel and it still after all the abuse works really well. Definitely worth mentioning for someone on a budget.

Since one always could use a second reel I will definitely be hitting the shops in CO. I hate shopping. I know a surprise but malls are like the dentist to me. Fly shops....I'll force myself!! :)

I just bought a Battenkill Mid arbor for my new 6 wt. The 5/6wt is on sale through Orvis for $98 (reg $119) and i was able to get Bass Pro to match that price.

Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor is the best value on the market in my opinion. I have a Battenkill Mid-Arbor, Ross Evoluton, Abel Super and Tibor Spring Creek. All are nearly equal in every way except price, Orvis being the clear winner.

Cabelas has a ton of reels on sale right now in the bargain cave.

My Cortland ($120) is on sale for $85 --- comes with a 2 cassettes, and a case. Not the best reel, but decent for trout and steelhead. The drag resets itself for the first couple months until it gets worked in. I can't complain though, I got mine from a Cortland rep the week they came out for $60.

I'll second David's recommendation of the Loomis venture. I have the large version set up with my 8WT. I've used it several years and it's taken a repeated dunking in saltwater and been smoked by several large Keys bonefish and it has performed flawlessly. I think one of the reasons this reel hasn't caught on as well as it probably should is that it is a standard spool rather than a large arbor. Personally, I don't care for large arbor reels, esp for trout so it suits me fine and the price is a bargain.

Back