My turn to ask! photos

Pauly

Pauly

This is what they were feeding on at the East Branch Perkiomen tonight. I tried to match with what I had.
I assume its in dun in the Family of Ephemeridae (Mayfly).
Not sure of the Genus Species.
What would you use to simulate this?

Attachments

• dun.jpg
    dun.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 6
Just a guess, is this a member of genus Maccaffertium? Possibly a Gray Fox?

Thats a nice picture Pauly. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

edit: http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/513/Mayfly-Maccaffertium-March-Browns-and-Cahills

March Brown

Stenonema vicarium, or I believe they and grey foxes are now considered the same and call Stenonema mcafferium.

Yep. I'd say grey fox even though they are now scientifically all one and the same - gf/mb.

Definitely maccafertium genus. I'll also say it's March Brown/Grey Fox.

Slight correction on Chooch's scientific name:

Maccafertium vicarium

Stenenoma is no longer in any way associated with Grey Fox's. The Stenenoma genus still exists, but grey fox's were shown not to belong to this genus. Grey fox's and March Browns have been shown to be merely color variants of the same species, and this species is in the Maccafertium genus.

Female March brown.

They've been coming off in Perkasie around 7:30-9pm and mixed in with light cahills. They kinda died off though with this rain and cold front.

dubthethorax wrote:
They've been coming off in Perkasie around 7:30-9pm and mixed in with light cahills. They kinda died off though with this rain and cold front.

I like your website. good stuff.

if it was on the perk in town then its grey fox, I surveyed it in 2003-2004 and never foung march browns. It is loaded with bwo, grey fox, lt. cahills, midges, black caddis, tan caddis, small stones, crayfish, and lots of minnows.

March Brown = gray fox. Just color variants of same bug.

Sandfly, your input is needed as a tiebreaker in the "one from last year" thread.

Here's a Gray Fox from the WB Perkiomen.

Attachments

• Gray Fox WB Perky 5 18 10.jpg
    Gray Fox WB Perky 5 18 10.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 3
sandfly wrote:
if it was on the perk in town then its grey fox, I surveyed it in 2003-2004 and never foung march browns. It is loaded with bwo, grey fox, lt. cahills, midges, black caddis, tan caddis, small stones, crayfish, and lots of minnows.

From someone who fishes that stream in Perkasie 3-4 times a week, I can say you absolutely nailed it, spot on.

BTW..thanks Pauly. Appreciate it :)

Back