More times than ever.....

jifigz

jifigz

I was on a small stream. It was a good time. I caught fish. Nice sized fish, little fish, on dries, on nymphs. Sulphurs were everywhere. My rig popped out of a browns mouth and in a tree right near dark. Things got so tangled I basically ruined the entire leader in the failing light as I tried to untangle it. I wanted to fish a little more but, due to this, I just called it.

But it happened to me more times than ever in a row. I hooked fish on 7 casts in a row from the exact same spot. I just kept drifting through the tiny little riffle and everytime a brown trout ate the nymph. On the eighth cast I accidentally cast into a tree. Dang. Oh well. But still, I couldn't believe that out of such a small area fish after fish came on cast after cast.

Below is the small piece of water and one of the browns.
PXL 20230517 000956565
PXL 20230517 001005280

Sounds like a fun night. I want one of those magic flies that catches seven fish in a row.

It is funny how it goes from place to place. I was out last night and slow bug evening until the sulphurs hit at 8:00 pm. Plenty of bugs, but no fish rising.

Sounds like a fun night. I want one of those magic flies that catches seven fish in a row.

It is funny how it goes from place to place. I was out last night and slow bug evening until the sulphurs hit at 8:00 pm. Plenty of bugs, but no fish rising.
Actually Dave I didn't really see any risers either. I was running a dry/dropper and only two fish ate my dry. My dry was actually nothing like a sulphur though, but I saw now fish rising to the sulphurs. Right near dark there were a lot of sulphurs returning with egg sacks, so I bet there would have been a really good spinner fall that I assume the trout would have cued in on.

I arrived at my spot for historically good May evening dry fly fishing at 8pm last evening figuring I would fish to rising fish for 40-50 min. The fish were rising and nobody else was around. Caught one right away on a sulphur then struggled to get a take for a little while. Missed another in very low light, but even more fish were rising and doing so aggressively. Also, in the now reflected light I could still spot my fly on the surface. I figured it was going to really get good as usual with multiple takes in a short time period, but then it happened..A hopeless tangle from an errant cast. It was then that I realized that I had forgotten my head lamp. Game over.

Last edited:
I arrived at my spot for historically good May evening dry fly fishing at 8pm last evening figuring I would fish to rising fish for 40-50 min. The fish were rising and nobody else was around. Caught one right away on a sulphur then struggled to get a take for a little while. Missed another in very low light, but even more fish were rising and doing so aggressively. Also, in the now reflected light I could still spot my fly on the surface. I figured it was going to really get good as usual with multiple takes in a short time period, but then it happened..A hopeless tangle from an errant cast. It was then that I realized that I had forgotten my head lamp. Game over.
I, too, was wishing I had a headlamp. If I had I would have stayed for the spinner fall, although I think the woman would have been maybe a little upset. She was already texting me at 9:15 pm wondering where I was when I wasn't home yet.

There are both pros and cons to heading to streams without cell phone service I suppose.

I bailed at at 8:25 with no risers. I had spinners already hitting the water, but no risers. I too had been dry dropping and throwing the kitchen at the situation for the previous three hours. Glad you guys did well.

Back