I know this is a bit old but.......

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Rock Run to restore brook trout

I know this is a bit old but im extremely interested because of two reasons.

1) The SW is in need of some more wild trout fisheries. I know some of you guys sure would love to have them also.

2)
The efforts can pay dividends. The Forbes Trail Chapter has put 250 tons of limestone sand into Rock Run over the last three years. That work has raised the pH level of the stream from an average of 4.7 to above 6, which is near neutral. The alkalinity of the stream has improved, too, so that it now supports a variety of macroinvertebrates. Brook trout eggs and fingerlings stocked in the stream seem to be surviving, as well, with some brookies up to seven inches long showing up in surveys. This fall will tell if that effort is working. If those fish breed, then the stream can indeed be said to have come back from the dead.

Did it work? and......

Effort to restore brook trout In western Pennsylvania, brook trout once ranged from the Laurel Highlands to streams west of the Monongahela River, according to the Fish and Boat Commission's Gary Smith. Today, the fish are confined to headwater streams along the Laurel and Chestnut ridges. Smith hopes to ramp up efforts to restore the fish to other waters soon, though, perhaps as early as next spring, after a priority list of streams is developed this winter.

Kudos to the PFBC!!!!!!!!!! been awhile since they got me excited about doing something for wild trout.
please keep us posted! this is great news for you guys and all of us across the state. I hope you fellow anglers in Western PA get some more streams to fish and trout to catch! :-D

Its a tribute to Linn run I believe and the last newsletter I read, I think said that brookies have been found in Rock run.

Here the forbes trail website. Its the chapter i joined so I could get my magazine and calendar.

http://forbestrailtu.org/pages/news.html

lmfao tom :p

thanks for the update though. great job to all involved. Its a start anyways :) the mud sill crib project is awesome!

Back