Hire a Guide

A

a23fish

Although I've had a fly rod for 18 months, and used it many times, I still consider myself a beginner. Most of what I've learned has been through watching videos, talking with follow fly fishers, and on a couple of occasions, getting some quick hands on instruction from them. All of it helpful. But, the most important part of my uphill climb along the learning curve came last week when my Significant Other decided I needed an early birthday present and set me up with a guide for a 1/2 day trip.

This happened in Colorado, and took place along a stretch of a small river. Actually, where we were fishing it was more of a creek by my standards, but it definitely held trout, and nice trout at that. The morning started off with me catching two of the biggest rainbows I've ever caught, a great confidence booster. Plus maybe a dozen or so smaller trout after that. Plus another two dozen or more where I did not get them hooked despite my guide's best advice & instructions. However, it was a most successful trip.

Why? Because I learned so much so fast in the 4-5 hours we were out. He gave me so many tips on where & how to fish, casting, hook sets, playing fish, approaching spots, getting snagged flies unstuck, etc., I couldn't help but come away a better angler. I learned a little about fly selection, but, to his credit, I think the guide realized I could only absorb so much information in a limited amount of time and focused on what he thought would do me the most good for my immediate and short term fishing.

And I got to use some top end gear too. That was a true eye opening experience. I had my Orvis Encounter outfit with me, and used it alternately with his gear, a R. L. Winston rod and Nautilus reel. He would be switching out flies while I was fishing one rod or the other. And yes, Virginia, there is a difference.

I learned more in one morning than I have in the past year. And it was worth it.

Had a very similar experience in Colorado. Went on a guided trip in Rocky Mountain NP with a guide. Opened up my eyes to a lot of the things I was doing that needed correction. I’d recommend it to anyone new to FFing. Well worth the investment.

Glad it helped you too.

I second that a guided trip is well worth the investment for all the reasons mentioned...one trick that can be well worth it is to split the cost with a friend. In addition, while part of the fun of hiring a guide is to straight out fish, I've found myself wanting to do some of the leg work so the guide can show me what I'm doing right and wrong.

No thanks. I prefer the process of pondering and figuring things out and I’m in no hurry to do it. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip but your very thoughtful and supportive significant other Is the best part of your story.

Sounds like you had a fantastic trip but your very thoughtful and supportive significant other Is the best part of your story.
Could not agree more.

And get a good guide for a great stream around here. Some are not so good for you, but basically say where to fish and what to fish, not the HOW or the WHY. If you are receptive and interested in growth and free from ego, you will learn very much. The West is a good bit different than the East. But knots, equipment and casting are all the same.
Syl

No thanks. I prefer the process of pondering and figuring things out and I’m in no hurry to do it. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip but your very thoughtful and supportive significant other Is the best part of your story.
I'm in this camp. If I would recommend anything to a newbie, it would be a casting instructor. You have to know how to cast to enter the sport successfully. Even casting you can pick up on your own, though.

Thanks a23fish ! I'm also into my second year of fly fishing, and feel like I've racked up a lot of fishing in that time. Well over 100 hours in 7 different streams, but I still don't know what I don't know. My buddy and I are talking about going west next year, and a guide needs to be at the start of the trip.

Thanks a23fish ! I'm also into my second year of fly fishing, and feel like I've racked up a lot of fishing in that time. Well over 100 hours in 7 different streams, but I still don't know what I don't know. My buddy and I are talking about going west next year, and a guide needs to be at the start of the trip.
I found that the fishing is actually easier out west than back in PA, NY or NJ. I never bother with a guide. I do all wade fishing, so if you want a boat trip in a remote area, a guide or outfitter is what you want to do.

I'd still recommend a guide, at least once. As I noted above, while I didn't learn as much as I would have wanted (in retrospect) about why he was tying on the various flies we used, or master my hook set, I did pick up a lot of knowledge and tips on casting, mending line, proper targets for particular drifts, etc., that is was well worth it.

I wasn't as successful in my later outings with the fly rod out west as I was with the guide - no surprise - but I found myself getting much better at the techniques he taught me and that will come in handy now that I'm back east. I will say casting was easier since the rivers I fished out there seem to have a lot more open space around them than a lot of places back in the mid-Atlantic. But the private/public access out west can be a tricky patchwork; some are well marked, others not so much. Local fly shops are a great resource for that info too. Some even have maps, i.e., for the Fryingpan and Taylor rivers in CO.

Have a good time out there, NRD. You'll come back with lots of memories.

Posting this link here in hope it helps a noob interested in seeking out a guide:

I've been flyfishing a long time (would measure in decades at this point) but decided to sync up with a guide about two years ago for two reasons: (1) it gave me an opportunity to fish one of the revered Central PA Limestones with someone that knew something about it, and (2) because I wanted a "pro" to critique my habits on the stream - my approach, my cast, my awareness of surroundings, etc. - not on a lawn or at the edge of a pond.

I found the experience very much worth the price of admission and like the OP, picked up a new tips and tricks I never ever thought of before, simply through a little "diversity of thought". Just talking and watching a someone versed in stream efficiency alone gave me a different perspective on everything from tying knots streamside, to staying out of the trees (and getting out of them when you do), to watching the ripples as you wade upstream, and on and on . . . things I already know about and try to manage on the stream but seeing someone else's approach just added tools to my toolbox.

I was up front with my expectations right out of the gate . . . this is what I think I'm already good at, this is where I want to improve, this is how honest and direct I want you to be with me . . .

That's where the link comes in. I'm not saying Capt. Jim is your man :) I had never interacted with a guide before and I wasn't sure how to go about doing so. This article was the only article I found that provided some insight into what a GUIDE might be expecting or is looking for to sharpen his/her plan before meeting you on the water.

Last edited:
First time I fished Great Smokey Mtn National Park, figured I didn’t need a guide, I’d just fish. No luck. Second trip, hired a guide from Smokey Mountain Outfitters. Money well spent. A good guide is worth every penny, not only from the knowledge, but also access to good fishing spots.

Steve

Back