Grannoms on the first fork Sinnemahoning

A

alatt

Just curious. I've read were there are grannoms on the driftwood branch, but are they in the first fork also. If so when do they start.

I don’t have an answer, but I would like to know also. I may be up there next weekend. I can say that I first noticed the Grannom here in central PA, Mifflin County, on March 22 of this year. Assuming First Fork has Grannoms, they would likely appear approximately 10 days to 2 weeks later than Miffco, or about April 6 or so. Should last a few weeks.

I don’t have an answer, but I would like to know also. I may be up there next weekend. I can say that I first noticed the Grannom here in central PA, Mifflin County, on March 22 of this year. Assuming First Fork has Grannoms, they would likely appear approximately 10 days to 2 weeks later than Miffco, or about April 6 or so. Should last a few weeks.
You saw a grannom in Miff-Co on March 22? Wow, I just saw my first one like two days ago in Miff-Co.

I've fished the apple green caddis there, which I've also seen referred to as the light Grannom.
It usually would hatch 3rd or 4th week of April
Can't recall ever seeing the more typically darker Grannoms there

Well, Grannoms are a confusing bunch. I have read that there are 14 species called Grannom, all in the genus Brachycentrus. This is what I saw in Miffco on March 22.
D4930BDD 3AC8 4FBB AE8E 9025C460F21A

No, it landed on my ball cap. It is size 14. I have also been seeing a much smaller caddis species here, size 18, also since March 22. These smaller ones are more numerous.
53A44C37 D49C 4EAB 8324 CD205682A9EC

Smaller one is likely chimarra
Usually just called black caddis

Smaller one looks to me to be the Winter Caddis - Dolophilodes distinctus. Same fly can be used for the Winter or Chimmara. The Winter Caddis has another brood in summer. The early brood is weird as the females are wingless. The Summer brood both males and females have wings.
I referenced Pocket Guide to NY Hatches - Paul Weamer.

I would have said likely Chimarra too but it’s not black in color, though likely too that Chimarra includes several species of varying color. I have seen Chimarra on this stream and it is inky black, also size 18.
The caddis pictured is 18 with smoky grey wings and a dull grey green abdomen.

Back