Grannoms Caddis - Brachycentrus americanus

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
Grannoms Caddis - Brachycentrus americanus

Normally a early April hatch found most commonly in Central Pennsylvania streams. Hatches occur often in the afternoon.

Attachments

• DSC_6989.jpg
    DSC_6989.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 44
I'd add that they are common in Western PA too, at least on larger waters. Oil, Tionesta, Brokenstraw, Allegheny River, Neshannock, etc. I'd expect them on the Clarion too, but never encountered them there.

I fished Oil Creek early last week and the Grannoms were hatching heavily and there was a steady rise of fish after them. A dark F fly in a size 16 worked pretty good.

On Oil Creek and the surrounding watersheds, B. lateralis and numerosus outnumber the amercanus species.
Oil Creek gets all three. It's why the grannom hatch sometimes last well over a month over there.

pcray1231 wrote:
I'd add that they are common in Western PA too, at least on larger waters. Oil, Tionesta, Brokenstraw, Allegheny River, Neshannock, etc. I'd expect them on the Clarion too, but never encountered them there.

I used to see a caddis on the clarion river in april that had a medium gray wing, with an olive colored body - size #16. Not quite sure what it was - but I don't believe it was a grannom.
Whatever it was, the fish rose nicely to it - and a #16 gray caddis matched it quite well

what color are the pupas? also they meke cases i thibk like on fishing creek in Lamar what color are the larva, sizes?

I used to see a caddis on the clarion river in april that had a medium gray wing, with an olive colored body - size #16. Not quite sure what it was - but I don't believe it was a grannom.

most likely a early smoky wing sedge..comes off before the grannom and some mistake it it also...

Lonewolve wrote:
what color are the pupas? also they meke cases i thibk like on fishing creek in Lamar what color are the larva, sizes?

They are bright green. You can open up the cases and see. They have mostly emerged already, though.

Troutnut.com probably has photos.

Back