Feather Emporium ... My Tale of Woe

Rainier42

Rainier42

Placed an order with the Feather Emporium on 1/5. A day later I received a note that my order shipped. A day after receiving a shipped notice I started to monitor but all the USPS site said is that a shipping label had been created. A week later the status hadn't changed. I spoke to the owner, David, last week and he said he would look into it but never go back to me. Spoke to him again last evening and he said he personally mailed the items but would credit my PayPal. He then told me to never order from him again and hung up on me, which was just rude.

Throughout my conversation with him I was calm and never gave him a hard time, just wanted to know whether the material I ordered had truly shipped. Afterwards I filed a claim with PayPal.

Am curious to see if others have had issues with this guy.

Their reviews look pretty poor (3/5 stars). In general I tend to hesitate to buy hackle online because the difference in quality, color, texture and sizing between one cape, saddle or tail and another can ultimately be the difference maker between it tying hundreds of flies or sitting in a bin with mothballs for the next 50 years.

I have ordered from him on a couple occasions. He does have issues getting your orders shipped. Not sure if it is done on purpose. I would not order from him anymore, not worth the hassle.
However, if you do get your order, you will be very pleased with the quality of his feathers.

I have ordered from him on a couple occasions. He does have issues getting your orders shipped. Not sure if it is done on purpose. I would not order from him anymore, not worth the hassle.
However, if you do get your order, you will be very pleased with the quality of his feathers.
Thanks for your response. If he had said to me, 'have been real busy and haven't been able to ship yet', I would have understood. He does seem to be a bit odd.

Placed an order with the Feather Emporium on 1/5. A day later I received a note that my order shipped. A day after receiving a shipped notice I started to monitor but all the USPS site said is that a shipping label had been created. A week later the status hadn't changed. I spoke to the owner, David, last week and he said he would look into it but never go back to me. Spoke to him again last evening and he said he personally mailed the items but would credit my PayPal. He then told me to never order from him again and hung up on me, which was just rude.

Throughout my conversation with him I was calm and never gave him a hard time, just wanted to know whether the material I ordered had truly shipped. Afterwards I filed a claim with PayPal.

Am curious to see if others have had issues with this guy.
I always hesitate to post something negative about a FFing retailer, but in the interest of getting out the word to members of this board; I've heard countless complaints about this company from guys I respect. Given this fact, I would recommend you steer clear of buying anything from this company.

Last edited:
Their reviews look pretty poor (3/5 stars). In general I tend to hesitate to buy hackle online because the difference in quality, color, texture and sizing between one cape, saddle or tail and another can ultimately be the difference maker between it tying hundreds of flies or sitting in a bin with mothballs for the next 50 years.
I should have read reviews first. Didn't because I've never had a problem ordering any fly tying material from online vendors. Good idea to pick out hackle in person.

They've always been horrible in my experience. 10 years ago I placed an order there and have yet to see it... or the refund.

AS someone who has worked in Shipping/Receiving for years, it really angers me that items show in reports from shippers as being shipped when all that has happened it that a shipping label has been created. Used to be that we could not invoice something until we had a carriers signature to confirm the item was actually leaving our custody.

I've read numerous complaints about Feather Emporium here and on other forums. I've seen threads where the owner argued and insulted forum members (unhappy customers). My impression is he just doesn't care. Why is he still in business? He has a great inventory (at times); when he does deliver, it is quality stuff. Except for Whiting 100's packs, I only buy dry fly hackle in person.

Have never had an issue with an online vendor before. Am no on a campaign to spread the word about this guy and his business.

i have never had a problem with that or any orders i made with him

i will continue to buy from him

Ive ordered from him a few times the last few years and just placed an order last Friday and it showed up on Tuesday.
I've never experienced any problems with the orders I've placed.

Back