Celebrate June River Month and Fathers Day with Susquehanna Sojourners in Shickshinny

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
tomgamber
I put teens but I could have been 20...college anyway. Spin fished as long as I can remember before that.

Last edited:
jayL
Under 12, but I didn't really learn to cast well, and I'd often switch to bait with the fly rod.

I didn't consider myself a fly fishermen until I was 16 or so.

Last edited:
MKern
I was 16-17 when I first learned, but didn't get serious until my 20's.

Last edited:
JakesLeakyWaders
I was 16. I bought my first flyrod, a Browning 8'5" #5 at Dick's in Binghamton, New York, which coincidentally is the original Dick's. I lived in Susquehanna Co. PA and it was the closest town with a decent sporting goods store. Bought a beginner's book to go with it. If I'd had known anthing about fly fishing I would have bought a shorter 3 weight for all those brookie streams up there, and amazingly though, there were a few spots on the Susquehanna that held some nice rainbows where the river comes into PA before flowing back up into Binghamton, BELIEVE THAT? True.

Last edited:
pcray1231
I put teens. I grew up fishing with a spinning rod, mostly bait, from probably the age of 5 or 6. I first dabbled in fly fishing when I was 17, though it wasn't until 22 that I switched from a "primarily baitfisher, sometimes flyfisher" to "primarily flyfisher, occasional bait fisher". I'm 29 now.

Last edited:
wgmiller
Those numbers are pretty interesting. It doesn't look like many people get into fly fishing later in life. I got started in my later 30's which by all accounts is late. I wonder what accounts for the great disparity in numbers? Perhaps people really become set in their interests as they go through life and are unlikely to pick up new hobbies as they age. Either that or the eyes start to get too bad! :-(

Last edited:
MKern
The fact that there isn't a lot of old people on the survey could be becuase the older generation doesn't frequent the Internet as much.

Last edited:
osprey
Good writing man just one thing, you forgot about cat gut leaders, which had to be kept moist to avoid being brittle, i still have an old cat gut leader wallet , it was my grandpaps , had a wet side and a dry side , the dry side was for silk line i guess, istill use it for my maxima mastrepeices.

Last edited:
D
Fathers Day ’09 promises to be a lively day in Shickshinny when 80 paddlers land in town as part of the North Branch Susquehanna Sojourn. The 100 mile, six day sojourn begins on June 18 upriver at Vosberg Neck and comes to Shickshinny on June 21. It ends on June 23 at Shikellamy State Park, Sunbury, at the confluence of the River’s North and West branches.

Community members are invited to greet the sojourners at Shickshinny’s Crary Park on South Canal Street at 6:30 p.m. Cake and ice cream will be served and kayak demonstrations by Endless Mountain Outfitters will be available for anyone who wants to try paddling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back